Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
We used 3/8" Braided Nylon line from Home Depot for the ropes and found some very durable plastic rope tensioners from REI, that work very well and are not very expensive. Additionally, the steel stakes to anchor the awning came from Cabelas when we purchased the poles and feet.

We use the same tensioners ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
We have been very pleased with our "home made" awning and it has served us well in rain, snow and high winds with little problem. We prefer the look of the pole awning over the roll out type. We are planning to make some matching side panels for the ends since we have the rail already attached to our AS.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...own-36293.html

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you get an awning that takes too much time and/or effort to set up, you will not use it nearly as much as one that rolls up. You will get the "we're only here for one night" attitude.
If you get one that rolls and unrolls easily, you will use it when you make a lunch stop.
You are only buying one, not buying for a fleet. Treat yourself to an A&E by Dometic. An Airstream friend just had one put on his '68 Caravel and loves it. Two or three minutes up, two or three minutes down. He has very bad shoulders and can not raise his arms above his shoulders, and can and does put the A&E up and down by himself.

True story.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
A new ZipDee on our '59 Traveler

Last May we bought a new zip dee for our unit. The bars came bent to match the curve and we installed it easily in one afternoon. We love using it and get it out much more than the pole type we had before. I think it looks pretty slick even on the oldies.

Katie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	61240  
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Both the Zip Dee and A&E have framework at the top that keeps the awning extended so that you can move the main bars out away from the trailer and anchor them to the ground, giving you open area next to the trailer rather than having to walk around the support every time you exit your trailer.

The A&A has a release, and "feet" at the bottom of the supports made for this purpose. The Zip Dee does not. You must replace the bolts with removable pins and buy or make "feet" to attach the arms to the ground.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber
Last May we bought a new zip dee for our unit. The bars came bent to match the curve and we installed it easily in one afternoon. We love using it and get it out much more than the pole type we had before. I think it looks pretty slick even on the oldies.

Katie
That looks great! I like the color you chose.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Awning

FWIW, I have installed a Zip Dee patio awning on a 6 metre Minuet, replacing a Carefree which I removed. The Minuet is smaller than regular post 69 Airstream/Argosy trailers. It fit perfectly and the install was less than an hour w the help of a friend. Works fantastic, too.
Same w a ZipDee on a 20 Argosy (slightly bigger) easy to install and easy to operate.
On Tuesday, installed Zip Dee window awnings (including a 21'9" one) on a 34' Excella that I was selling. Took about 3 hours, much of that time installing the track and much drilling and riveting.
Have had several Carefree awnings (all older models) and they were difficult to operate. Bolts and other hardware tended to corrode or even rust.
Also, Zip Dee has a great customer support department which allows you to speak to a real person. You may not need this feature as their instruction sheet is thorough and easy to understand.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #28
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Thanks so much, everyone for your input and personal stories! Especially to R&KWeber for the photo of a Zip Dee on their trailer.

Several factors are leading me to the decision of going with TC&TA industries, just like Shari... customer service: Tonya e-mailed back right away with info and questions, and four e-mails later I had a firm quote including shipping, advice on how far out the awning should extend and a recommendation on piping to match... An RV dealer who shall remain unnamed didn't answer e-mail or a respond to a telephone call about a Zip Dee. I had to call the ZD folks themselves before finally getting a price.

Wind: Wyoming really is windy. I like the idea of the awning just falling down instead of getting damaged. Those concrete weights sound like a great idea, especially for rocky campsites. I just wonder about the weight of hauling them around, with gas prices and all.

Jim Foster: I totally know what you mean about "we're only here for one night." It's my goal to always spend two nights in a place to make it worth deploying the awning, chairs, flamingos, etc. Because I don't get a lot of vacay time, I camp a lot in my region and try to stay for the weekend.

Angle: I like how the rope and pole awnings stand straight out, rather than sloped down (likely with a pole in the way. More coverage for rain, shade, etc. at high noon.

Scavenged: I would love to find the arms, mechanism etc. and scavenge a ZD for reasonable cost, but I'm in such an out-of-the-way locale that it would be hard, and take a long time. I want an awning soon!

Cost: New Zip Dee was quoted to me, with freight because of my remote location, at $1,729. That's without installation, which I'd want to pay my AS guy about $200 to install. Totaled, that's more than three times (almost four) the cost of the custom color (NOBODY else will have Stella's awning!), sewn with love, vintage-style rope and pole from TC&TA: $522.75, including shipping. And it will be here in two weeks! SO much more satisfying than waiting six weeks for a stock color from VTS (love those guys anyway).

And my magazine check was only $350 for two one-page articles, so it's not like I had THAT much money to burn. Stella still needs plumbing, which could completely be redone for the ZD$.

I will totally consider upgrading to an automatic awning in the future, but with Junior on the way I need to be a little more fiscally conscious. I totally thought about the ZD, but it's just not gonna happen this year. Other priorities.

I can't wait!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Cool! Glad to hear I was able to help and Tonya was as helpful to you as she was to me, I L-O-V-E good customer service! You won't be disappointed in the awning ~

So what color did you get?

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Jo/Marcus, The problem with Vintage trailers and new awnings is that the awning arms do not conform to the curved sides of the trailers. I was told by my local A/S dealer that the ZipDee awning arms must be custom bent (by the owner) to the shape of the trailer. That voids any warranty that I am aware of on a new awning so used becomes more desireable. Find a used Carefree awning from a salvage yard like Colaws or Cherokee. If all the mechanical parts are serviceable you can always buy a canvas from Carefree of Colorado or have one custom fitted by a local canvas awning shop. Carefree charges about $200.00 for canvas to fit a '67 Safari. I know as I spoke with them last fall about going this route as my main awning only needs canvas. Check them out! Carefree longer makes awnings for the curved trailers but do stock some parts to repair older Carefree awnings. Their customer service folks are very knowledgeable and helpful. Hope this helps. Ed
Have fullsized ZD on each side of my 1959 Overlander. Dealer installed and work fine with no bending.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #31
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
It's Sunbrella Mediterranean/aqua stripe. Then I want to re-web a couple of vintage aluminum chairs with THIS raspberry/turquoise stripe to tie it together with my pink curtains with the white ball fringe, flamingos, etc.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #32
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
It's Sunbrella Mediterranean/aqua stripe. Then I want to re-web a couple of vintage aluminum chairs with THIS raspberry/turquoise stripe to tie it together with my pink curtains with the white ball fringe, flamingos, etc.
Ooooh - those are FUN colors. Can't wait to see the results!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Fun is our highest aim... so what if we're the loudest rig in the park. Color = happy!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
Very cool! I agree, our trailers should be fun and show off our personalities ~ looks like yours is on it's way!

Shari

Old 05-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #35
_

. , .
your color choices are cool!

and the same options can be had on a z-d...

certainly buy what the budget will handle and u think u want...

BUT, just to clarify the wind/rain issue more....

the z-d IS VERY CAPABLE in wind, need proof? go here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ted-17997.html

now no awning should be intentionally left OUT in wind, that's just asking for trouble...

with a z-d it takes 1 minute to 'roll up' when leaving the trailer for a few hours....

sort of like pulling up yer socks!

the vintage styles LOOK cool and IF u are mostly doing 'camper tours' hosting a midday brunch...

or never leave the campsite...

you can knock 'em down quickly before a strong gust does it for ya (just not into the trailer)...

the vintage style can be very stable in the wind,

mostly because it's NOT put up nearly as often when traveling....

there really is no comparison in terms of frequency of usage while camping/traveling

with a z-d, pull into a campsite and 'roll out the shades' just that quickly...

IF you really just want a quick to use, inexpensive cabana, get one of the many versions of these...

EZ UP Direct - E-Z UP Instant Shelters*&*Canopies

they go up fast are GREAT for rain and can be linked for virtual village from the elements...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/458079-post384.html

also c post 372 in the same thread for z-d and vintage kindred...

it's all good in awningville!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
What about for a 68 21' Safari? Any particular awning or brand?
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24
Your choices would be pretty much the same as Stella's, just a slightly different length.
As far as wind, I don't condone it, but we have had ours "out" when we had a sudden severe storm roll through with 90 mph gusts. It fared just fine, while several of our neighbors' awnings wound up either over the top of their trailers (torn loose), on the ground, or the tube had buckled.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #38
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Does anybody have a photo of a zipdee on a 60s model trailer?

I don't know how far it would slant, how it would look, etc. I like how the vintage awnings come straight out and have lots of room underneath, but I also appreciate the ease of a zip-dee.

She has a rail for a rope-and-pole awning. Shari, I like your setup a lot. Seems like Stella is taller than Maxwell, somehow, and definitely has a longer rail, I think almost 12 feet, and I would love the awning to extend 9 feet.

If I did Zipdee, I'd probably hire my Airstream fixit guy to install it. He's reasonable and nice. Drilling into Stella makes me cringe. Now, to find those poles...
Here you go....new ZipDee on 1963 Overlander.
I did take some bend out of the steel arms that have the kink towards the top. I simply stuck the end of the arm under the tire gently pushed down until the angle was perfect.
It was very easy to do, and now fits really well.
One more modification was necessary....I had to drill an extra hole into the same upper arm to make the awning go higher. Otherwise, in it's highest setting, the door would rub the awning fabric really bad.
I called zipdee, and that was what they recommended. No voiding of warranties, whatsoever, btw..
I am very happy with the awning now and would recommend it to clients, no doubt.
But - for the price they charge, I do feel that the awning should fit right out of the box, without modifications whatsoever. I find it most annoying that one has to modify a $ 1500.00 awning that was custom ordered for the individual trailer. But that's just me...your opinion may vary widely....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4515.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	62602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4516.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	62603  

Name:	DSCN4517.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	62604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4518.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	62605  

Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #39
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
More pictures

I can only post 4 pictures in a post now...wow...new software?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4519.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	62607   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4520.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	62608  

Name:	DSCN4521.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	62609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4522.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	62610  

Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
Zip Dee is the best.

Others are cheaper, but so is the quality of the arms, and especially the fabric.

You do not have a 21 foot Airstream, but you do have a 22 foot.

Safari back then meant 22 foot.

I would suggest that wherever you decide to get parts of any kind, that you have your trailer serial number handy.

In that way, the correct parts can be purchased without errors.

The correct size Zip Dee awning for your trailer is 11 feet 11 1/4 inches.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote