Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Awning

While on the ladder installing a solar panel onn our 13 31’ Classic ,I noticed the long curb side awning rail has pulled away from body…it has pulled all the screws out…only thing holding it to the body is the silkaflex caulking…we have been in some hard side winds where it would unroll the center of the awning..with the ends fastened solid
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I find the screws are rivets after cleaning the caulk around the fasteners..I drilled each rivet so the holes are open…each one was broken….next step is how do I get slack so the rail will lay down ? …. all that is holding is the caulking on the top edge…if that breaks loose I can see a disaster happening..I need a foot of slack..and I see no way to get it….any ideas?
Old 10-20-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I am guessing your awning doent have a travel lock on one end.

With no lock, you could pull the awning out a couple of feet, then have someone stand on a step stool and hold the tube to keep it from spinning, while pushing the awning toward the trailer. He would have to hold it while you rivet. If I went this route, I would put a few small screw drivers, long nails, ect in some of the holes to keep the rail from ripping off the trailer when I pulled it out.

The other option is to unwind the awning.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I am guessing your awning doent have a travel lock on one end.

With no lock, you could pull the awning out a couple of feet, then have someone stand on a step stool and hold the tube to keep it from spinning, while pushing the awning toward the trailer. He would have to hold it while you rivet. If I went this route, I would put a few small screw drivers, long nails, ect in some of the holes to keep the rail from ripping off the trailer when I pulled it out.

The other option is to unwind the awning.
Yep. Can’t unwind being so close to the body. Finding a way to find a way to hold it may be a problem
Old 10-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Now what I found is that I have 2 chain wrench’s…one on each end…I unrolled the awning at one end..the other wrench held it…this made it very easy… now am waiting for the Cleo pins and the rivets…now my center clip hook has removed a small square of the aluminum cover….i wonder if that cover could be pulled out and swapped end for end?