Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #1

Fredericksburg , Arkansas
Awing Issue

Awning question. I have a new 2019 Signature with the Zip Dee power awning. When it is expanding the awning motor side starts rolling out as it should. The non motor side starts out then stops then starts rolling out in place until it shuts down. The only way to get it to roll out is to push the extend button and run and pull the arm out to assist it out. So I took it to the Airstream dealer to have it repaired. They put some washers behind the rubber boot at the bottom of the arm to assist it out. I was assured it was fixed. I tried it in front of the tech and the same problem. He then said it was just the nature of this awning and there was not much that could be done about it. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. Very frustrating. I wish it had came with a manual awning. More buttons, more problems.
Dougp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Awing Issue

Pretty typical. Your trailer needs to be super level for it to work just right. Mine does the same thing. It “stalls” but eventually pops out as the roller continues to unwind. Giving it a small amount of “assistance” works too as you have noted.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougp2 View Post
Awning question. I have a new 2019 Signature with the Zip Dee power awning. When it is expanding the awning motor side starts rolling out as it should. The non motor side starts out then stops then starts rolling out in place until it shuts down. The only way to get it to roll out is to push the extend button and run and pull the arm out to assist it out. So I took it to the Airstream dealer to have it repaired. They put some washers behind the rubber boot at the bottom of the arm to assist it out. I was assured it was fixed. I tried it in front of the tech and the same problem. He then said it was just the nature of this awning and there was not much that could be done about it. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. Very frustrating. I wish it had came with a manual awning. More buttons, more problems.

No I don't have any experience with this type of awning , but that is not the way it should work . The tech or dealership is blowing smoke, I am sure other members will agree. Call Airstream and get them to instruct the dealership on how to solve this issue.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Traveling to , Arizona
Hi Doug,

If you look through the forum, you'll see lots of folks have lots of problems with this awning. We have one also. Like you, sometimes I wish we just had a manual one. However, when it works it is nice to push a button and have the awning deploy. On ours, the controller board needed to be replaced. It is now working better.

Suggest you call Zip Dee and talk to technical support there. You'll probably talk to a guy named Randy. They might be able to suggest something to try. Worth a call.

If that doesn't get you anywhere find a better dealer to take it to. I agree with LAWBC that the dealership you went to is just giving you excuses since they don't know how to fix it. You can use the Airstream corporate website to locate all the candidate dealers near you and then see if you can find any opinions of the service departments for those dealers on this forum, particularly when it comes to repair of Zip Dee awnings. You may have to travel a ways. We drove over 150 miles to get ours fixed. Zip Dee tech support can also help you with identifying a dealer to go to. They know which dealers know their products best.

Good luck.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

Fredericksburg , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Hi Doug,

If you look through the forum, you'll see lots of folks have lots of problems with this awning. We have one also. Like you, sometimes I wish we just had a manual one. However, when it works it is nice to push a button and have the awning deploy. On ours, the controller board needed to be replaced. It is now working better.

Suggest you call Zip Dee and talk to technical support there. You'll probably talk to a guy named Randy. They might be able to suggest something to try. Worth a call.

If that doesn't get you anywhere find a better dealer to take it to. I agree with LAWBC that the dealership you went to is just giving you excuses since they don't know how to fix it. You can use the Airstream corporate website to locate all the candidate dealers near you and then see if you can find any opinions of the service departments for those dealers on this forum, particularly when it comes to repair of Zip Dee awnings. You may have to travel a ways. We drove over 150 miles to get ours fixed. Zip Dee tech support can also help you with identifying a dealer to go to. They know which dealers know their products best.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks, I believe I will try to call them.
Dougp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

Our manual also would bind up... turned out to be the rear support arm was not plumb.
You can see in the photo how much it had to be moved forward. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e0b.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	335400  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote