Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Brentwood , 37027
Automatic ZipDee Awning convert to Manual

I have a 2015 Airstream Serenity. When we purchased the unit used a few years ago my wife and I were concerned about the automatic awning. While one-button open and close is nice, we feared someday it would stop working and strand us at a campground.

That almost happened Labor Day weekend when it failed to fully retract. I got out the manual and learned how to manually retract it. It was a major pain and required assistance from someone camping with us (and also climbing up on a picnic table). After about an hour and a half, we got it manually retracted so we could get home.

Never again!! We don't want this to happen again so this past week I worked with the nice folks at ZipDee to order all the hardware necessary to convert it to a manual awning.

**The first problem I have is that I cannot find instructions for how to remove the arms of my automatic awning. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to unwind the tension from the spring located on the left side of the awning. For the MANUAL awning the instructions for loosening/tightening the spring tension are pretty clear. However, the arms for my automatic awning are big and I cannot remove the upper arm from the arm-motor assembly to let me use that arm as a lever to unwind the spring.

Has anyone had to unwind the spring on an automatic awning? If so, please enlighten me on how to do this safely. Thanks.
Camping8204 is offline   Reply With Quote