Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Add-A-Room

Campingworld has a neat accessory called, Add-A-Room which is what it name states. It hooks up to your awning. I'm wondering if my 2001 Bambi 19ft. awning would accommodate such an extra? Anyone have experience with this product? The information says it adapts to Dometic/A&E awnings. Is that what we have on our Airstreams?
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
Campingworld has a neat accessory called, Add-A-Room which is what it name states. It hooks up to your awning. I'm wondering if my 2001 Bambi 19ft. awning would accommodate such an extra? Anyone have experience with this product? The information says it adapts to Dometic/A&E awnings. Is that what we have on our Airstreams?
You probably have a Zip Dee awning.

Post a couple of photo's and a number of members can ID it for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Thanks! We have to visit our Airstream in storage to have a look. Meantime, I'll look for the manual to see if it has the information. Is the 'Add-a-Room' a good item to have for extra space, does anyone think?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks! We have to visit our Airstream in storage to have a look. Meantime, I'll look for the manual to see if it has the information. Is the 'Add-a-Room' a good item to have for extra space, does anyone think?
Zip Dee's "add-a-room", when properly and completely installed, can give total privacy. Zippered panels cover the screening, if you wish. The entrance can be zipped closed, and the best part is the water tube that's at the bottom.

Fill the tube with water, which seals the room to the ground, "AND", offers addtional strength and security should winds kick up.

Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
I like the idea of an "outdoor room" myself but the unscreened, covered space is more open to socializing ...
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Zip Dee's "add-a-room", when properly and completely installed, can give total privacy. Zippered panels cover the screening, if you wish. The entrance can be zipped closed, and the best part is the water tube that's at the bottom.

Fill the tube with water, which seals the room to the ground, "AND", offers addtional strength and security should winds kick up.

Andy
Andy, do you have pictures on your site?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
I like the idea of an "outdoor room" myself but the unscreened, covered space is more open to socializing ...
Your correct, but with just the screening in place, you can chat thru the screen, bug free, with those on the outside, that are swatting the bugs.

Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Bob
Bob.

No we do not.

I can post that tomorrow from my office.

Or, send your e-mail via a PM, and I can send a photo today, that shows the screened room only.

For some reason, I cannot copy and paste using the Forums.

Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Zip Dee has a small pic on there site. (scroll down) Awnings By ZipDee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Buy extra velcro and tool to install snaps, if you really are trying to eliminate bugs you will need a custom fit. You will also need a ladder on setup, unless you can reach top of awning near rv. Ours was included from PO's and evidently had CW or some other installer put it together without considering bugs ability to walk, crawl or fly thru the gaps :-(
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I had an "add a room" on a tent trailer I had years ago. It was custom made for the unit and had snaps down the sides and even under the trailer.

I set it up exactly one time and that was in the drive way when I first purchased the trailer. In my opinion, it was way too much work for way too little benefit. The only way to make this thing actually bug proof would be to velcro almost all of the side and bottom of the trailer. then you would have to anchor down the sides and walls and keep the large zipper opening closed.

If you really are looking for a bug free experience you might want to look into one of those screened enclosures that set up separately from your trailer. These take less time to erect and I would guess, cost less money.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
The Zip Dee 'Tropic Room' with extra curtains for privacy sounds great. Now I need to find where to buy one for a 19' Bambi Safari. It will end up being sleeping space so the privacy aspect is important. Does it have to be professionally installed, or can a somewhat inept husband and wife team manage it on their own? That would be me and my DH....
Old 03-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I've also been thinking about one of these extra rooms.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The Zip Dee 'Tropic Room' with extra curtains for privacy sounds great. Now I need to find where to buy one for a 19' Bambi Safari. It will end up being sleeping space so the privacy aspect is important. Does it have to be professionally installed, or can a somewhat inept husband and wife team manage it on their own? That would be me and my DH....
You must first make sure that you have a "Zip Dee" awning.

A photo of the curb side (door side) of the trailer would be helpful.

Great instructions come with the Tropic rooms, that are helpful as long as the installer has some basic hand tools.

But, if you do not have a Zip Dee awning, I would then not suggest that you get their Tropic room.

Andy
Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
I'm sure your questions could be answered here. Awnings By ZipDee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Add a rooms are awning brand specific. They are a mixed blessing. If I was setting up for a couple nights it usually isn't worth it. Setting up for a week or longer, worth it. They may not be 100% bug proof but having additional space out of the weather is priceless.

FWIW we use and EZE up awning with screen/solid panels to put over the picnic table when the bugs are ferocious. Those go up quick and easy.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee Tropic Room

Quote:
Bob
Bob.

As promised.

Privacy screens can also be added, for total privacy.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tropic.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	97685  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Depends on your needs...

In theory, these look like a great idea and as mentioned already, if you are staying somewhere for an extended amount of time, may be worth it...

Our experience is owning one that attached to our Jayco popup.... Looked nice assembled, fine quality, but kind of a pita to set up and it does get a little warm in there too. We also questioned the wisdom of BBQ'in under there. ...

Like others said, we used it once or twice and into the box it went and never saw the light of day again until it was sold.

We love the idea, but were disappointed in the results...

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
My Dad had a custom motorhome with a roll out awning. After a week in Maine during black fly season he was ready to drive it into the lake! I introduced him to the guy who built the dodger for my sailboat and they rigged up a sunbrella enclosure with large windows and screens and a skirt for the motorhome side. It had a combination of velcro and metal fasteners and was made in 8 sections that zipped together. When the bugs weren't biting, the old man would just put up the windward section. We met them one weekend in November in New Hampshire along the Kankamangus (?) Highway and it was sunny and in the low 40's, inside the enclosure it was nice and warm. I gave the old man 40 feet of lightweight anchor chain to hold down the sides, he cut it into the proper lengths and kept it bags. The entire enclosure rolled up into bags the builder supplied. It worked great!
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Pretty close !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
We met them one weekend in November in New Hampshire along the Kankamangus (?) Highway.....
It's "Kancamagus"............and it's beautiful !

Kancamagus Highway New Hampshire - NH (Kangamagus or Kangamangus Highway)

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote