Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
Movinon

2022 30' Classic
Vero Beach , Florida
2022 Classic awning won't rretract

Need advice
My awning will not retract.. the awning won't roll in or out but the arms will raise and lower the awning..very, very frustrating. Awning hasn't been used but a few times.
Movinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I am sure there are many reasons why this may fail... for me, a wire came loose. I have a 2019 Classic RBQ. I had some interior repairs done (which required removing the kitchen sink area). When I got tot he campground after the service, the awning went out... but wouldn't retract. *Frustrating!!!*

You should have a manual retract kit in the Airstream. The goal is to raise the awning using the battery connector to make the awning arm more vertical so that you can access the manual retraction point from the bottom of the arm and using a drill and the connector in the kit, retract it completely. There are two basic steps:
1. Connect the power cable in the kit to the front awning port (front of Airstream at the endocarp on the awning) and then connect to the battery terminals. hook up one way to the battery terminals and the awning goes out, reverse and it retracts. Do this until the outer arm starts to move vertical, but only far enough that you have clear access to the bottom of the arm where it connects to the Airstream shell.
2. Use the connector (like a flexible Allen wrench) connected to an electric drill to retract the awning completely.

For me, I figured out the issue before needing to follow the manual steps. Under the sink, mounted to the floor is the control box that the buttons send input to. There was a green wire that had come loose. After re-instering it in the only open spot, the awning worked correctly.

Ron
ronalddodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
Push retract. Then push both front and rear tilt at the same time for about 10 seconds. Awning should retract. Then push extend. If it does not work, push both tilts together again. This went on for about two days till the limit switches aligned. Then no trouble since.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
Try using a spray of WD40 at the mechanisms each end. Also spray any moving joints.
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote