Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
2010 awning arm torn off

Last fall the corner of an outbuilding jumped out at me as I towed my 2010 Bambi Int'l around it at low speed, and ripped an arm of my Zip Dee awning. This was on the forward arm; the rear was spared. Fortunately the cast metal upper and lower mounts are brittle and simply fractured, so damage to the skin and what's behind it could have been much worse.

Damage on the awning parts seems limited to the upper and lower mounts and the forward arm assembly, and some deformed skin. Can I get these from Zip Dee as separate components? I'd call them but they aren't open now, and the forum is

But before I order parts, this is where the forum comes in. Should I try to use the existing mounting points, or can I fill those in and relocate the mounting points for the arm(s)? Obviously this depends on just what sort of damage was done but I'm just looking for some general advice and trying to find out what's possible. While I haven't thoroughly investigated, it's possible the existing screw locations are still usable (but that post sticking out from one hole at the lower mount confuses me... what is that?)

Should I bang the skin back into shape and attempt to mount the replacements there, and see if they hold? And if they don't, find Plan B?

I'm mechanically handy but I have my limits; given the spring tension and weight involved, is this something best left to an Airstream dealer?

Lastly, what sort of costs might I expect to face? Plan B could simply involve making a frame of PVC pipe to support the awning, or removing the awning entirely and using a completely detached shade/shelter.

Upper mounting point:

Lower mounting point:

amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would order new parts. I would put some Vulkem under that ripped up flap and hammer if back down. I would squirt Vulkem in the screw holes and put it on the back of the new brackets. I would reuse the original screws unless the hole was stripped. A few taps on the hole in the skin with a ball peen hammer will probably ensure a tight screw fit.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
that post sticking out from one hole at the lower mount confuses me... what is that?
That looks like the mandrel from the pop rivet that was pulled out.

You should be able to get the parts from Zip Dee. If you can get the skin bent back into reasonable shape you could use Rivnuts. I've seen mention on the forums of people using them for awning attachment when rivets or screws pull out. If the skin has been compromised too much to attach anything directly to it consider attaching an aluminum plate to the outside of the skin with rivets and then attaching the awning bracket to the plate. This will spread the force over a larger area and give you solid metal for whatever fasteners you end up using.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote