Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
“Xzilon 3” on Aluminum

I wonder if owners of vintage and newer Airstreams have considered or used “Xzilon 3” to protect their newly cleaned & buffed exterior aluminum. I’m not referring to the half dozen other Xzilon automotive products on the market. But rather only to the Boeing approved “Xzilon 3” Aircraft Exterior Corrosion Inhibitor.

According to company propaganda, on properly prepared surfaces, it reduces aerodynamic drag, protects against ultraviolet damage, and inhibits corrosion. A pint covers about 1,600 square feet. One third of a pint will be sufficient to coat the bright work on a business jet. The $129.95 X-3500 Kit includes a bottle of Xzilon X-3, an application mitt, towels, and an instructional DVD. Reference: Granitize Aviation International, phone: 562-923-5438. www.granitizeaviation.com

Has any forum member had experience to comments on this product?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #2

2005 31' Classic
Florence , Oregon
Seeing as how this post is 3 years old I thought I would retry the question... We are in the process of purchasing an 05 31D Classic and the dealer has offered to spray it down with this Xzilon protectant.

Does anyone out there have experience with the stuff? We are currently staying on the coast and would be interested in the protection against corrosion if it works well.
dhodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi d'

part of the o.p. question was using it on POLISHED streams...

which could be interpreted as BARE metal.

in THAT application is would not be HARMFUL,

EFFICACY is another issue.

on an alcoa clearcoated 'stream i'd have a LOT of questions...

like will it EAT the finish? how about sealant or gaskets or other bits?

it appears this is mostly hydrocarbons and petrol SOLVENTS and a dash of xylene.

once this soup evaporates the 0.1% that remains is a magic resin....

so i dunno.

but it must be a pretty damn magical resin...

to keep the parasites from dragging along on the stream.

IF we ever get them up to near sonic speeds.

i'm always a tad leary when the makers of magic goops

don't have ANY real technical info under their OWN technical content or website...

but i did find the msds out in space...

http://www.capfinalcoat.com/FCFrench...rpdf/X-606.pdf

and HOW LONG is it supposed to last?

since reapplication is a ventilation/protection/meltyerbrain issue...

i'd opt for a detailed application of a good quality automotive sealant.

these DO last a year or more and are safe for the owner to use, proven and widely available...

see some of the MANY threads on waxes, sealants and detailing modern streams, here.

now, would i let the DEALER apply a sealant/wax?

probably not, since doing this PROPERLY takes 8-12 hours on a longer stream...

or u can go for a coating of free magic goop.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #4

2005 31' Classic
Florence , Oregon
Thanks 2air', I'm definitely going to ask the dealer about the previous clearcoat.

After asking around I'm now even wondering if a protectant is necessary. I have been told that while Aluminum will oxidize, that oxidation actually forms a coating that protects against corrosion. I found someone else saying this on a different thread as well. Any thoughts?

What did Airtreamers do before all this magic goop was placed on the market?

Thanks!
D
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
If the trailer was plasti-coated they Walbernized.

Take a look here to find all sorts of info on waxes and sealants. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson View Post
...I have been told that while Aluminum will oxidize, that oxidation actually forms a coating that protects against corrosion....
this is TRUE d'...

but ONLY ON BARE NEKKED streams.

the 2005 has a fluro' based hard CLEARCOAT applied by alcoa,

and doesn't 'age' like bare aluminum does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgson View Post
...After asking around I'm now even wondering if a protectant is necessary...
do you ever WAX your car or truck?

do U LIKE a shiny car/truck that beads water and bugs don't stick to ??

the SAME issues and concept and hassles and benefits apply to a modern clearcoated stream...

many with newer streams are trying to deal with THIS ISSUE...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

and use sealants/waxes/sprays/washings or skillful NEGLECT.

and all these approaches are PROVEN to help...

or not.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #7

2005 31' Classic
Florence , Oregon
Wow, I didn't realize so many were having trouble with the filiform corrosion. The trailer we are buying (2005) did have some tiny spots along the seams, and the beltline had been replaced though the dealer said he didn't know why.

Oh well, now I have tons of useful advice on how to fix and/or prevent the problem. Thanks to Silverleeper and 2air for the help. I feel very enlightened...

Daniel
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

2005 31' Classic
Florence , Oregon
Oh, and if anyone else is wondering about Xzilon applied by the AS dealer check out this thread at thehulltruth.

xzilon protectant - The Hull Truth

The interesting part is the detailer's opinion of the product quoted by someone on the forum. He's talking about cars, but I think it applies. I'll paste it below:

"Allright here goes. You can take everything I say with a grain of salt, I am just giving you my experience as a detailer. I see XZILON on a lot of cars that I detail so here is the breakdown.

1) It's a high durabilty sealant that will normally last 6 months to a year. It *does* bond to the paint in the same way any polymer based sealant will bond to paint (Zaino, UPP, Poorboys sealants, Megs NXT etc... all the same concept. Polymers bond to the surface of the paint to protect it). The bonding process has nothing to do with the kind of paint. Paint sealants will bond to almost any smooth surface - this isn't a new concept. The only difference between the consumer ones and XZILON is that they are higher luster/less durabilty so they need to be re-applied more often.

2) You need to have it re-applied. Their 5-year gaurantee is *NOT* 5 years of durabilty, it's 5 years of free re-application at the dealership. Tell them you want it re-applied every time you show up. In my experience dealerships never have to re-apply it, so you might meet some resistance ("Oh it doesnt need to be" or "Oh we dont do that") Yes it does, and yes they do.

3) Most folks don't know that, so they never have it re-applied which is why XZILON is such a huge money maker for dealerships. $500-$800 for a 2 ounce application of a sealant you can buy online for $15 a bottle. If the customer never has it re-applied that's something like a 5000% profit for them.

4) It protects the same as any locally available sealant. Protects from bird poop, rain, acid rain, the sun, sap, etc...

5) Unfortunately if you read the fine print the warranty is void if you wax or polish your car, which is a bummer. This essentially means once purchased you're stuck with their product. If you wax your car or have it polished they'll tell you the warranty is void.

This is where I move away from facts and get into opinion. It's my opinion that this stuff is a total rip off. Even if you have it re-applied every 6 months you will never see $500 of worth out of it. You can go to pep boys and pick up a bottle of NXT for $16.99 and apply it yourself in 15 minutes every 4 months for 5 years (15 applications) on one bottle. That's $16.99 out of pocket and ~6 hours of work over 5 years to save anywhere from $480-$680. Alternatively you could pay a detailer to clay/polish/seal your car every half-year for the same amount, and that way you essentially get a free clay/polish every 6 months which will keep the car looking great. XZILON will not protect against scratches, swirls, etc.

Don't feel bad - thousands of people opt for this stuff and really it isn't a *bad* thing, it's just a grossly overpriced thing.
"
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Xzilon "True coat"

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Sutton RV's take on retarding filiform development is to apply Xzilon X3 to the areas around seams and rivets where the original clear coat may be compromised. they admit it's expensive, but attribute that to the labor intensive nature of the work.

They note that Boeing uses it now and requires it's use on older aircraft.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Polish | Top | Power washer »