Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
When to Wax

My Safari is a 2007 and I wash it periodically but have never waxed it. How often should it be waxed and what type of wax is recommended. Can an orbital buffer be used or must the work be done all by hand?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I wax mine twice a year....just finished the project and will do it again when I get off the road in Oct. before I put it in storage.

I use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and have tried several different products including Walbernize, car wax and most recently, Paint Sealant from Griot's garage. I have this product on my van and it is basically a once-a-year application (although I use it twice a year). I have been very satisfied with it and I really like the finish it put on the Airstream (and the van!)

You realize that asking a question like this is like asking a person what engine oil they use so be prepared for a multitude of responses! I like to experiment and over the years, have found that the polymer based products have the longest lasting finish, which is very appealing to those that don't have a lot of time to spend waxing their babies!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lewster is absolutely correct. Asking about type of car wax is like as asking about politics or religion.

Here is my opinion (about car wax, of course). I don not use any, wax that is. I use a product called Dri Wash 'n Guard. It is a polymer-based product, not a wax. I have been using this product for about 20 years now, and use nothing else. I started using Dri Wash 'n Guard on my 1956 Thunderbird after a guy at a car show recommmended it. I also started using it on my new cars, and when we got lucy, I started using it on her. There is no was build-up with this product, it is also a deep cleaner, and it is easier to use than wax.

No, I don't sell Dri Wash 'n Guard, nor do I have any financial interest in it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Waxing & Washing...

After reading through most of the threads, am beginning to feel like I might be headed for some sort of big trouble...

Ours is a '05 Classic 30'. Whenever we go camping, on the way back home, we always stop at a self-service car wash. Will soap it down with the wand, brush on the brush soap and rinse it off with the wand wax... then do a "no spot" (low pressure) rinse. Did this on our previous A/S International also. So far, it looks great (clean & shinny), rain pretty much still beads up and there is no fading, chipping or peeling of the original finish. usually cost me $7-8 in quarters... been doing this now for about 3 years on this one...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I use Walbernize 2x a year. Once at the beginning and once at the end....and folks are right, the wax issue is just as bad as the Ford vs Chevy thing!

I wash it a few times per season and never leave the bugs on it after traveling.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I've been hand waxing my '03 Classic with the Walbernize but I'm interested in Moosetag's response with his Porter Cable. I have a Porter Cable as well and I use Menzerna polymer sealent on my truck; I've been itching to use it on the coach but am worried about it's affects. Sounds like I should try it...
jsamuel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
_

. , .
if you like menzerna poly sealant on your autos, by all means use it on the trailer.

it will work fine on the a/s after it's been washed and clayed.

sealants are usually removed by hand.

the p-c would be fine for application with a blue finishing pad...

don't use a cutting pad or medium density pad, and

i would not use any of the menzerna polishes on the a/s.

the clearcoat is just too thin.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Thanks for the tip; I use the Menzerna final polish first and then go with the polymer sealant (FMJ) and yes, I remove it by hand. I will definitely order a blue finishing pad and clay it; not the polish. Again, thanks!
jsamuel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Yesterday I washed the trailer and truck top to bottom, including the roof of the AS. I even had the Walburnize out. By the time I finished waxing the truck I was just too tired to wax the trailer. Normally, I use a waterless polymer wax stuff I got at the factory. I am running low.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote