Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2002, 09:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Vulken and Polish or Polish then Vulkem?

Just got a 57 Flying Cloud that I am starting to restore. Problem is the monsoon season has started here in NM with daily downpours and I have leaks from roof vents and side windows. Yikes!
I know usually you wait until the end of the project to polish, but I need to stop the water damage ASAP.
What is the correct order in which to proceed? Should I caulk with Vulkem now and polish later or polish now and immediately caulk with Vulkem? Stumped...
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:05 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Stop the rain till I finish!

R,

An alternative (since i live in the moonsoon too!) is to buy one of those 10' X 20' tents at Costco. It will run you about $150.00 and works real good. I have one over my boat and one over my trailer. Both my boat and trailer are longer than the tent, however most of them are covered. The tent needs to be roped down to the trailer. The tent comes with rope on all 4 corners. Also I have extended the height of the tent with PVC pipe.

Another added benefit is keeping the sun off of the unit too! One downside, my tent usually lasts about a year or two. After that the sun and wind usually take a toll and I replace the tent.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Raincoat!

Looks like I'll be making a run to Las Cruces to find a tent cover! She sure won't fit into my garage. At least it will do double duty for both sun and rain like you said so I figure the cost will be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion.

R
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Got ya covered!

R,

I have had one over my boat since new in 1997. (Actually it has been 3 different ones) And even though I have paid about $450.00 in that time frame, I believe it has been totally worth it.

Just be careful with the wind! I had one fly like a kite over my house in a wind storm, cause I did not tie down the corners. All it takes is tieing the 4 corners down with the string/rope provided and it has held through every wind storm that has come through here. I tie the rope to the trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-23-2002, 05:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Stop that water now....

The portable covered garages are an excellent idea. It will give you the protection you need and decrease the temperatures inside for working in the hot sun.

There is no reason to not stop the leaks now though. It would be a real shame to damage the new work and help along the damage that has already occurred.

Usually when we say "save the polishing for last", it is just for cosmetic reasons. It is just natural to want to start making it shiney first, which should be the last step in the restoration. Sealing the shell is a must do and one of the first things you should do as part of the restoration process and there is no reason to save that step for last. If the water is making its way to the inside of the shell, you can bet its soaking the insulation and damaging the perimeter wood flooring.

Order a couple of tubes of Vulkem or Par-Bond and stop that water now. Also check and replace any window or door seals at this time. Check around the clearance lights also.

Best Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Vulkem - then polish.
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote