Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

I think it's hilarious, but you might want to consider the liability of getting Alzheimer's from exposure to aluminum particles and no protection.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Definitely need protection. Hmm maybe we should wear those crazy military style gas mask things! That will match the Land Rover at least as Defenders are the original British military vehicles.
GYPSET - adj. an unconventional, bohemian approach to life characterized by a fashionable exoticism and down-to-earth ease. (a portmanteau word: the wiles of a gypsey mixed with the sophistication of the jetset)

Gypset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
And we'll eat lots of curry! (India has the lowest rates of Alzheimer's because of the antioxidants in the combo of turmeric + black pepper. My mom is an integrative medical dr and informs me of these things)
GYPSET - adj. an unconventional, bohemian approach to life characterized by a fashionable exoticism and down-to-earth ease. (a portmanteau word: the wiles of a gypsey mixed with the sophistication of the jetset)

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Here are 2 videos of Land Rover Series IIIs featuring polished Aluminium (They're English so it's Aluminium, not Aluminum):

The guy from the video above commented "These vintage Rovers are made from a material called Birmabright....which is not just aluminum, but an alloy of aluminum, magnesium and manganese.....it is this specific combination of metals that prevent the aluminum from oxidizing. I tested this myself by stripping the paint off the hood and read door first, and letting them weather normally, without wax or polish or protectant for a full six years before stripping and polishing the rest of the rover. After six full years in the weather....there was NO oxidation whatsoever!"

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As a feminist, I vote for bikinis!
All aluminum produced is an alloy. Without the other metals mixed in, it would have very little strength. The recipe dictates how it functions and for what it is to be used. It is, that the mix contains higher levels of those other metals that it has not oxidized (in levels you can actually notice) during this time. Pure aluminum wants to oxidize at a very rapid rate. This is why zero oxygen cannot be present when welding aluminum. I would rather be in an oxide form than it pure state.

Now when do we get to see your tribal video? I for one love music videos. I was watching MTV when it went on the air and miss seeing them regularly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

What did you mean by touring " set up " ?

It might not be worth the effort to bring a trailer on tour. I don't think an SUV is capable of carrying equipment, the band, and towing a trailer. An Airstream sure would be a luxury to have at gigs, as a green room ( for a few people )
not so much for a whole band. Parking it would often be a hassle. The water tank holds enough for one or two Long Haired Lady full tilt showers.

I rigged my trailer up as a recording studio. I basically use it as a vocal booth, and only record one instrument at a time. I get out of the house and enjoy privacy to make mistakes, and hit bad notes. It really only works in nice weather as the AC and heater are noisy
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I suppose if they greased themselves up first it might come off easier?
Hope none of them are blonde, cause they won't be when they are finished!
Serious suggestion, taught to me by my dad, who was a jet engine mechanic for the Air Force, and then ran a small engine repair shop working on lawn mowers, chain saws, and weed eaters to keep himself busy during his retirement.

Before starting a dirty job like that, bathe. But DON'T rinse off the soap. Let it dry on your skin. Then, when you get dirty, it's actually the layer of soap getting dirty, and it washes off easily afterwards. Of course, in his case he didn't have to worry about the whole-body thing, just face and hands, because he wore shop overalls.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I would think you could just have on group of people as the grunts to do the polishing and then have the bikini clad helpers just step in once in a while for the photos like others have suggested. I don’t think anyone would want the polish splattered all over then selves so just use make up to mimic the effect as the trailer gets closer and closer to completion. Just a thought you could also have the girls dressed in vintage work cloths and make up while working on it as well or pin up style swimwear like a pin up girl.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Polishing Info

Greetings Gypset,

Sounds like a neat idea, but will be a tough job for bare skin beauties. Definitely use a professional polisher as a stand-in for the ladies. Attached photo is me after a typical day of polishing.

For an introduction in how to polish an Airstream, visit my website here:
Polishing Instructions - * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Southern Antique

Good luck with your project and I can't wait to watch the process.

Best Regards,
Levon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3584.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	182780  
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Now....picture Levon in a Bikini....
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Melody Ranch you are a buzz kill, here I am following the thread, imagining the video as originally contemplated, and you throw me a vision of Levon ---NO! Avert My Eyes -- all is ruined.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
For those who know me

Chris.....I HAVE loss a good bit of weight!!! And you should not mess around with others minds.

Dennis.....I HAVE NO desire to be in a bikini.....so go back to your visions, I know I have.
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
I think you can pull it off.

So you have 90+ hours of work to do half the trailer (one side and one end). You'll need 11-12 bikini clad ladies and an equal amount of Polishers. That should get you done in one day, about 8 hours. You can get a polisher at Harbor Freight for $30-40 ea. plus the wool pads and polish you'll be into $800 in equipment and materials. The final "mirror" polish should probably be done off camera? And the final inspection will be awesome with all the ladies around.

I'm going to assume you're serious about this, and want them to do the work and not some stand-in professionals. If that's the case, you're going to need them to put on overalls, hats, gloves, goggles, etc. and get to work. This would need to be part of the introduction, and I'm sure could be done in a very sexy way. I'm imagining a couple sweaty lemonade breaks, and little tell tales that they are actually doing the work, and not stunt doubles under the overalls.

I was looking for an image of this...

And I found this as well. This is what I have in my head:

You obviously don't screw around. You bought the airstream. You bought a diesel Defender. I have no doubt that you'll pull this off. Of course this is a crazy idea; that's what will get you attention and maybe those 1,000,000 youtube views.

You're going to need 2 or 3 time lapse cameras, and 2-3 cameras filming the process, and trying to get that candid moment that will make the video.

I'm eager to see how it turns out.

-kevin
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Thanks for the support Kevin!

I do want it to be a real process instead of "acting". I'm def committed to this project so as one of the polishing girls I'm down to do as much work as I can. But the guys can do the same amount of work polishing on the other side off camera

Working on the calculations but the whole video doesn't need to be done in one day, we can spread it out over a few.

Also wondering if it will look best to have the polishing done in one direction (front to back) so the time lapse shows up revealing the shine one one smooth move (this would limit the number of girls polishing a one time though to maybe 3 or 4). Or would it be look better to have more girls polishing all different parts of the trailer at one time?

The trailer is going to have an open plan with just a console for recording, some shelving and storage, a mini bar and a daybed. No bathroom. When we tour it will be a green room and crash pad.

Lauren

Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
What ever you do, polish from the top down...
No sexual innuendo. The cord slaps the fresh polish if you work from the bottom up.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Munich , Bavarian
Dancing in front of an airstream can be also very cool without polishing. sometimes

Artists Airstream, Art stream? or Streamtist no no I don’t mean striptease
@ gypset Cool Band and Music
Best regards from munich.

Nox
nmayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Love the idea Gypset!

The sheer dirtying effect of "Slinging Polish" is one thing, but I gotta tell you its is VERY physical too.
A compounding buffer does not sound too dangerous, but does require some pretty good upper body strength to hold on to.
Make sure you all are safe, and well taught.
Looking fwd to seeing the results!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I have many years of experience polishing various things: cars, Airstreams, etc. One important aspect of this kind of undertaking is training.
I will volunteer my service for some "hands-on" training for your crew. Safety first!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote