Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2002, 02:49 PM   #1

Angry Very rough finish

Half way thru polishing my 66 Tradewind, I got some bad advice.
another customer at an Airstream dealer told me to use Muratic Acid on my aluminum finish. About 1/3 of my AS now has a very
rough finish. Some of that finish is stained. My Cyclo and polish will not touch this problem. I experimented with sandpaper, but had to go to 100 grit before I had any affect. I am considering Sanding the entire area working down to 1400 grit and then using polish. Does anyone have any Ideas that are better?
I'm rather nervous about using sandpaper.
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I'm surprised......

the guy didn't tell you to use "Draino"! They both do about the same thing. I have all the original paperwork on my '62 Overlander and it contains a sheet on how to remove oxidation, etc. Back then they (AS) recomended Dupont No. 7 polishing compound, now known as Turtle Wax No.7 today. Some years back I followed this advice and produced a shine 24" deep (min.). They (Turtle Wax) makes two types, polishing and rubbing compounds. Try polishing first, if no success try rubbing compound. In my expierence, sandpaper is a last resort, (next to sandblasting)! Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Shoot...

I should have told you, if you have a FAX, I can fax the sheet I have on this. Oscar
Old 11-09-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Very rough finish

Greetings Leny!

Quote:
another customer at an Airstream dealer told me to use Muratic Acid on my aluminum finish. About 1/3 of my AS now has a very
The previous owner of my Overlander evidently had the same advice, but only attempted it on the large curbside panel. When the Ruth's polished my rig repairing the issue required use of some exceptionally strong machine type compounds and the rental of an industrial polishing apparatus to make the correction. It now looks like the rest of the trailer. I suspect that without the heavy duty industrial polishing apparatus that it will take time and patience to correct the finish.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:30 PM   #5

Silver Bullet: My fax is 763-689-1302 Thanks for info

Overlander64: It is good to hear I was not the only one that has had too much acid. What do you mean by industrial compounds?
Where did you have yours done, or what type of business is it?

I would gladly hire this problem away If I knew who in the Minneapolis area does this type of work.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Very rough finish

Greetings Lenny!

You aren't much further from the contractor that did my polish work than I am - - probably about an additional 300 to 400 miles. The Ruths of P & S Trailer Service (Helena, Ohio) performed the complete polish and palsticoating on my Overlander last winter. It isn't a cheap process - - about $175.00 per linear foot of trailer length. There was an additional up-charge of about $400.00 to bring the panel in question up to the standars of the balance of the coach. They truly did a fabulous job on the coach, and with semi-annual applications of Walbernize, I expect the results to be maintainable for at least a decade if not longer.

The industrial compounds refer to cutting power of the grit in the compound. The compounds typically sold to consumers aren't so strong as when used with a machine process could result in permanent damage if incorrect techniques were applied. The buffer that was employed was a large "belly" type drum buffer with strong cutting compounds to cut the damage from the surface - - which was followed up with fine polish to match the balance of the coach. When comparing the panels today, it is very difficult to tell any difference between the panel that had the exceptionally rough surface and the balance of the trailer that only had normal oxidation and aging.

This is the panel as it appears today:

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-11-2002, 04:16 PM   #7

Kevin: Thanks again, I will contact Ruths for more info. By your towing vehicles it looks like you may have another problem I have.
That problem is never enough vehicles. My wife and I own eight vehicles three are capable of pulling our airstream. My last project is a 49 international pickup outfitted with a chevy 350
It has been a kick. Anyway I love the Idea of a big Cadillac.
Lenny
Old 11-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Here comes the Fax Lenny.... Oscar
Old 11-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Very rough finish

RE: Tow Vehicle Overrun

Greetings Lenny!

The two vehicles in my signature are only the beginning. I too seem to retain every vehicle that I purchase. My potential tow vehciles include the following: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham - - full factory 5,000 pound towing package; 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertible- - fully setup for towing including class III/IV Reese Receiver Hitch; 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible - - in process of being retrofitted with full towing accessory package. My other vehicles aren't really towing cadidates but more fun memories - - 1978 Plymouth Horizon - - first Horizon delivered by my local Plymouth/Chyrsler agency and purchased new by my late aunt with only 60,000 miles; 1960 Studebaker Lark VIII convertible - - always thought it would make a cute tow package with a Bambi; and a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 11-11-2002, 05:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Just a note.....

Of my own personal stupidity, years before cyber info, I tried an aluminum cleaner that was supposed to remove oxidation (used for semi rigs) and it did, ALONG with the SHINE!!! I resorted to the sheet I sent you and with a little elbow grease (and luck) restored the shine. Fortunately I did a test patch at the point where the belly meets the wall on the street side. Oscar