Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2023, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
TSP vs Simple Green

I tried out Simple Green for the first time and the 1977 panels seem to be totally clean. I had been using TSP, but I don't see any advantage and lot of disadvantage. What's the real deal? I've seen threads where Simple Green was used first, then TSP. Any info out there on primer sticking better, one way or the other?

Zep
Old 11-29-2023, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I used Simple Green when I washed our inside panels prior to painting. I had been advised to rinse very very well, no matter what I used. I rinsed once with a hose (they were spread out on the lawn), and then again after we reinstalled them prior to painting. We have had no difficulty with primer or paint sticking well. I do occasional touch ups of small areas if we change something, but have not needed to repaint. We did original painting in 2012, I believe.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Airplanes and Airstreams are made of the same aluminum alloy..and Simple Green is not allowed for washing airplanes because it eventually causes corrosion.

The USAF prohibited its use.

So Simple Green came out with an “Aircraft Simple Green” which they claimed was safe for aluminum. They even published an obscure “Boeing Approved” Mil-Spec …. which my aviation-technician friend who works for Boeing researched…
The particular Mil-Spec applied to effects upon electrical wiring insulation materials….. not aluminum.

As a maintenance-advisor to an airplane-club, I contacted Simple Green which resulted in a vigorous defense of their product and a free sample being sent to me. I used it to kill a mud-wasp which was attempting to enter the polished aluminum flap on my Cessna. (Soap solutions are excellent for quickly killing insects, bees, wasps, etc. without aggravating them…. they must think it’s only raining.)

It disabled the wasp quickly, and I wiped the Simple Green off the shiny aluminum. The next day I noticed a spray pattern of Staining…. as if the Simple Green converted the bare aluminum to an anodized surface…. no longer shiny…and no longer capable of being polished to its original color in that area.

I advise against Simple Green on bare or polished aluminum. If you are going to paint it… perhaps…. but I can’t forget the corrosion problems it has on aluminum.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Krud Kutter works great on the interior skin to remove the stickiness and the a light coat of clear floor wax like Future to seal it.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Wichita , Kansas
The ref to "Simple Green" caught my eye. I am only putting my toe in the water here as I do not know the full scope of the project or application of the Simple Green so keep that in mind. That said standard Simple Green has been attributed too corrosion on aircraft when used as a cleaning agent. I believe there is now a specific Simple Green product available for use on aluminum or alloy products.
Huskerlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:07 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Wichita , Kansas
I second this and did not see it prior to my reply below.
Huskerlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Down side of TSP is that it is a phosphate. Not a good thing to be adding to our sewage since it passes through to the rivers and lakes
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I tried out Simple Green for the first time and the 1977 panels seem to be totally clean. I had been using TSP, but I don't see any advantage and lot of disadvantage. What's the real deal? I've seen threads where Simple Green was used first, then TSP. Any info out there on primer sticking better, one way or the other?

Zep
Haven’t tried Simple Green but did dilute it and use it religiously on the vinyl floor of our then new 2009 28’ international Ocean Breeze. After about a year we noticed what looked like a salt build up around the floor edges. A mystery to our excellent dealer service department, who took the inquiry back to both the Mother Ship and the floor covering manufacturer, and nobody could figure it out.

One morning I had an epiphany—could it be the Simple Green? Washed the floor throughly with plain tap water three times, and the “salt” never came back!

Simple Green is very powerful. We had some cool stainless coffee mugs that matched our stainless rock guards and eventually ended up with a solid coffee residue buildup that no detergent or scrubbing could remove. A 24 hour soak in full strength Simple Green and it rinses out easily with plain water.

Way too powerful to use on our delicate aluminum inner or outer walls. Mild soap and water and cotton or microbes worked for us.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks

Great information as in the automotive industry its a great degreaser but I’ll keep it off my Airstream

I advise against Simple Green on bare or polished aluminum. If you are going to paint it… perhaps…. but I can’t forget the corrosion problems it has on aluminum.[/QUOTE]
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I used the Simple Green solution on our interior wall panels which have the original vinyl wall paper on them. I rinsed everything very well. No problems.

Kay
Old 11-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use Simple Green on many things and have never caused any damage. I use it on every hard surface in my AS, plus run it in my carpet cleaner when I clean the trailers carpet. With that said, I would not use it on the trailers exterior due to the warnings on the bottle. I believe it says or at least used to say it was safe on aluminum but to rinse well. That told me not to risk it on the trailer. I have used it on a lot of other aluminum items with no visible damage,.though.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
I have used both TSP and Simple Green in the past, both for paint prep. For years TSP was the go to for interior paint prep, not so much now. My experience is with 60's and 70's Airstreams where I am usually prepping for interior paint. On the worst cases, some truly digusting combos of bacon grease and cigarette smoke I've gotten good results with amonia. 50/50 mix with hot water and a couple drops of Dawn, scrub with a scotchbrite pad backed with a sponge, multiple rinse sometimes aided with a tire bruch. For bad or blotchy surface prime with Kilz or Bullseye. I like latex eggshell paint.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
My '77 Safari has some replaced interior panels, so it has about 1/3 bare aluminum and 2/3 vinyl covered panels. If Simple Green is as corrosive as many of you say, then maybe it would give the bare aluminum a grip for the primer. Maybe a terrible idea, but with good rinsing and then paint, ...

Zep
Old 12-01-2023, 09:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used a Bondz primer, then 2 coats of an exterior latex paint. It has held up well for over 11 years with occasional touchups when we work on the trailer.

Kay
Old 12-03-2023, 05:13 PM   #15

1979 30' Argosy
Provo , UT
Tsp

I had good luck with TSP, making sure to rinse very well after. I followed it with a coat of Insl-X Stix White Flat Water-Based Acrylic Urethane Bonding Primer. After that, I painted with exterior grade latex for my final coat. That was 2 years and about five thousand miles ago and it has held up very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted Skins.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	439234  
Pearl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Teaticket , Massachusetts
Simple Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Airplanes and Airstreams are made of the same aluminum alloy..and Simple Green is not allowed for washing airplanes because it eventually causes corrosion.

The USAF prohibited its use.

So Simple Green came out with an “Aircraft Simple Green” which they claimed was safe for aluminum. They even published an obscure “Boeing Approved” Mil-Spec …. which my aviation-technician friend who works for Boeing researched…
The particular Mil-Spec applied to effects upon electrical wiring insulation materials….. not aluminum.

As a maintenance-advisor to an airplane-club, I contacted Simple Green which resulted in a vigorous defense of their product and a free sample being sent to me. I used it to kill a mud-wasp which was attempting to enter the polished aluminum flap on my Cessna. (Soap solutions are excellent for quickly killing insects, bees, wasps, etc. without aggravating them…. they must think it’s only raining.)

It disabled the wasp quickly, and I wiped the Simple Green off the shiny aluminum. The next day I noticed a spray pattern of Staining…. as if the Simple Green converted the bare aluminum to an anodized surface…. no longer shiny…and no longer capable of being polished to its original color in that area.

I advise against Simple Green on bare or polished aluminum. If you are going to paint it… perhaps…. but I can’t forget the corrosion problems it has on aluminum.
I too remember when Simple Green showed up at our base. Initially it was used to “augment” the
USAF approved aircraft soap used for washing the jets. When QA founds out about it we all got the brief
that it should never be used on the aircraft. It was actually used to de-grease non-engine parts and the floor of the Engine shop. I also remember it going home with people, it did a great job washing our
Harleys!

Bob
AnotherBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:57 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Gassaway , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl79 View Post
I had good luck with TSP, making sure to rinse very well after. I followed it with a coat of Insl-X Stix White Flat Water-Based Acrylic Urethane Bonding Primer. After that, I painted with exterior grade latex for my final coat. That was 2 years and about five thousand miles ago and it has held up very well.
Your photo looks great! We are about to paint the plastic end caps on an 84 Sovereign. Did you use TSP, bonding primer, and latex paint on your plastic end caps?
CasaDeShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:37 AM   #18

1979 30' Argosy
Provo , UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaDeShine View Post
Your photo looks great! We are about to paint the plastic end caps on an 84 Sovereign. Did you use TSP, bonding primer, and latex paint on your plastic end caps?
The plastic on the end caps required a little more creativity to paint. If I remember correctly, I tried painting with conventional latex primer and it didn't adhere very well. (I tried latex first because I was using an HVLP sprayer and didn't want to use any oil based products if possible to avoid complicated clean-up). I ended up using white Rustoleum 2 in 1 spray paint in a satin sheen to keep things as simple as possible. I've been happy with the results as they've held up well so far. I have to add that I did paint the end caps while they were out of the trailer during renovation so I didn't have to worry about VOCs using spray paint. The Stix bonding primer worked well on the walls and may also work well on the end caps. The label claims you can paint it over tile and other smooth services.
Hope this helps.....best of luck with your project.
Pearl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
In the automotive and restoration world all kinds of things and varying sutfaces need to be painted, we relied on SEM products with good success. Found at automotive paint stores or on-line.
Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote