Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
The saga of de-anodizing a 1964 Silver Streak (hint its not that hard..)

I recently purchased a 1964 Silver Streak Sabre 19 with the intention of using it for camping, and also here in San Jose, CA at my winery for supporting wine tasting (not actually inside it given COVID issues of course not to mention it is rather small, but more as a 'prop' given ABC Alcohol Licensing people allows for the trailer to be our tasting room and 'hang our license' inside, giving me more time to budget for our real tasting room…)

This one-owner 1964 Silver Streak was completely original, even having the Silver Streak baseball hats given to them by the dealer way back in ‘64 as well as the original utensils and plates.

...anyhow as many others recently have aspired to have a shiny 60s era polished Airstream look, and given the dullness of a nearly 60yr old anodized Silver Streak trailer with not a lot of options out there to make the anodization look any better, I went down the journey of de-anodization; DUN DUN DUUNNNNN!!

Now there are a few articles even here on this forum and elsewhere on the Internet describing the process of de-anodizing an old Silver Streak trailer; many however gloss over the actual process and steps to get the anodization off, and not surprisingly several folks post in forums during the starting of the process but often go silent after many months stating how difficult it was, never to show an actual completed product.

First off, this endeavor is not for everyone:

1) it takes time, not as much as some forum posts have implied, but it is a solid week or so long commitment depending on the length of the trailer.

2) you *have* to do it outdoors; making it not really a viable winter project even here in California…

3) the stuff to take the anodizing off is toxic, painful and downright nasty if you get it on your skin! Especially in the concentrations needed to get the anodizing off quickly, more on that later…hint contrary to “the Internet”, do not use ‘easy-off’ (or any other oven cleaner in a spray can)! You’ll go broke buying it, your index finger will fall off after several hours of spraying it, not to mention the most important fact that it doesn’t actually work as well as other cleaners/liquids which contain a much higher concentrations of Sodium Hydroxide (aka the magic substance). Trust me, don’t use easy-off!

4) Once the anodizing is off of the trailer it has to be polished, even more so now without the anodizing on it. Costing ~$3,000 or so if you pay someone to do it (in my case a 19ft trailer, $130-$160/linear foot) or about another 4-5 days if you do it yourself. Note it is not actually that hard to polish a de-anodized Silver Streak to a mirror finish once the anodizing is off...I just didn’t have the time to do it myself, owning a winery, life etc. etc.

5) You can’t re-anodize the trailer if you don’t like the results, which you *will* if you are committed and you polish it!

“So, I can pay a professional to do this right”? Which was my first assumption, the answer unfortunately is a resounding, nope! It turns out they really don’t like caustic toxic liquids and they only want to polish metal, understandable…

In my experience you won’t find any professional metal polishing shops to do the de-anodization for you; they are more than happy to polish it after you get the dull looking strange and perplexing (to a metal polisher) anodization off and the trailer down to bare metal, but none of them wanted to even attempt to take it off – so after calling literally every metal polisher and vintage trailer restorer on the west coast, I reserved myself to the fact I would have to de-anodize the trailer myself…

More to follow on de-anodization in a second post, in the meantime here are the pictures of the trailer prior to de-anodization..

orionbbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to AirForums!

Cute little bugger!

Can't wait to read your second post to see the actual progress and finished result. Love all the original "goodies" - looks to be in awesome original shape...almost a time capsule! Very similar to my previous Airstream, a 1964 GlobeTrotter - also 19'.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
1964 Silver Streak

Nice looking trailer. The inside condition looks really good for it's age. Looking forward to more posts.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
De-anodization and the finished product

Ok so now you’ve committed yourself to de-anodizing your Silver Streak trailer, or anything else large and made of aluminum with anodization on it; you have a few choices now in terms of chemicals to do the job. I chose Sodium Hydroxide, which in my experience is the best at doing this without damaging the metal, but there are others, however many are not included in household products like Sodium Hydroxide is making them a lot harder and more expensive to buy. A good article here on removing anodized aluminum and the benefits of various chemicals: https://aerospacemetalsllc.com/how-t...ized-aluminum/

Disclaimer:
A word about Sodium Hydroxide and chemistry, it is a Base (vs. an Acid), essentially a really strong Lye (as an example sodium hydroxide is often used in the making of homemade soap or drain cleaner because it helps dissolve organic oils) and like all bases it is caustic, REALLY caustic in our application given its concentration percentage.

“Caustic: adjective meaning able to burn or corrode organic tissue by chemical action.” aka: **BE CAREFUL, WEAR PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, A RESPIRATOR (like the ones used when painting a car) and FULL FACE PROTECTION. I can not stress this enough. I made the mistake of not wearing a full face mask and had my spray bottle accidentally on stream vs. spray and had a ricochet shot of burning liquid onto my forehead.. please be careful.

Where do I buy it and what is it in?
So the best place I found to get Sodium Hydroxide in a common household liquid was The Home Depot. I am sure there are other brands or kinds of cleaner/liquid which include Sodium Hydroxide in high concentrations but this one was the highest I was able to find at a reasonably low price. BTW if you are curious about how to figure out how much Sodium Hydroxide a given product has, Home Depot makes it easy, just click on the “SDS” link under Specifications and look for its chemical composition. Note this is never listed on the actual bottles themselves, you’ll be lucky to even see Sodium Hydroxide listed; this info is considered a trade secret by the vendors but they all have to list it in their Material Safety Data Sheets which can be found on their websites or in this case, Home Depot’s.

Easy Off is only 1-5%

Instant Power Hair and Grease Drain Cleaner is 29-50%

At only $11.00 for a gallon I am using a product called “Instant Power Hair and Grease Drain Cleaner” SKU #417841. It contained Sodium Hydroxide in a concentration of between 29%-50% vs. Easy Off which only has between 1%-5%, this makes a huge difference in terms of how long it takes to remove the anodization and how long you have to leave the chemical on the metal. You will need about 5gal +/- to finish an entire trailer. Don’t use Easy Off! Despite its name it is neither Easy, nor does it get the anodization OFF (easily..)

Buy this:

You’ll need several generic high quality plastic spray bottles such as the Zep Professional also found at Home Depot. I found they only lasted a few hours before getting clogged up with the sodium hydroxide residue and I went through 5 of them.

To get the drain cleaner to stick to the metal (stay on a sufficient amount of time to de-anodize the material) you’ll need to add a little dish soap. This acts as a ‘Surfactant’ a fancy way of saying it makes it bubble or reduces the surface tension of a liquid. This is one advantage Easy Off has over using Drain Cleaner (Easy Off ‘sticks’ to the surface with lots and lots of bubbles) but due to its low percentage of Sodium Hydroxide its still not as good as drain cleaner…

De-anodization method:
1) Wash the trailer down with soap and water, wait for it to dry…

2) Take off all of your plastic lenses, license plate, spare tire, and anything else you want to prevent having its anodization removed, or its paint, or plastic melted in this process. Also cover the windows, the drain cleaner doesn’t damage them but it does make them a mess and Windex has a tough time taking off the anodization residue.

Important note: I tried to save the really cool golden anodized strip around the trailer, a unique signature of Silver Streak travel trailers and RVs; however it was a loosing proposition. No matter what I did to tape it off the Sodium Hydroxide got through it. My advice; paint the strip later gold (or another color, I’ve seen some blue ones that look pretty cool) or leave it polished it looks cool! -- preventing that anodization from coming off is nearly impossible and it makes the job way harder when you have to be careful where you spray.

3) COVER YOUR BODY, FACE, HANDS (thick rubber gloves used for caustic liquids), EYES, MOUTH (lungs) before you even open the drain cleaner bottle. I found the ‘bunny suit’ you wear for painting a car and respirator works great.

4) Pour the drain cleaner into the small spray bottles and drop a couple drops of dawn soap into the bottle, shake it up until you see small bubbles.

5) Divide the trailer up into quadrants I did 6 areas on my trailer, FRONT (R/L), SIDE (R/L), REAR and the ROOF. Start from the TOP (roof) and work your way down. Otherwise the anodization residue will drip down on the already de-anodized areas making double work.

Spray (on spray, not stream) small sections of the trailer with sufficient liquid to give it a good coat, don’t be afraid to use it judiciously.
The drain cleaner/soap spray needs to spend anywhere between 15min to 30min in contact with the material to start to remove the anodization. You’ll know its working when you start to hear it make a bubbling/hissing sound and start to make a purple looking liquid on the surface, about 5mins after application. DO NOT LET THE DRAIN CLEANER DRY – you must wash off the drain cleaner once the de-anodization has completed or you’ll need to de-anodize again (it sort of reapplies itself otherwise).

Note I found that I needed to do a little scrubbing with a soft brush to get some of the tougher areas de-anodized. Worse case you may need to do a couple applications.

6) Rinse the de-anodized area off with water until you don’t see anymore purple looking liquid.
7) In my method I don’t polish the trailer until the entire trailer is de-anodized. I saw other forum posts where the person did the de-anodizing, then polishing per section. I don’t think this is a good idea as you have to be super careful not to get the drain cleaner on those polished areas and increases the time it takes to do the job. De-anodize whole trailer, then polish!

8) When all the anodization is off, the trailer will look similar to what it did when it was anodized but more powdery. Don’t worry about this the anodization is either completely off or 99% off.
9) Polish as you would any Airstream aluminum trailer using your favorite products (plenty of videos on how to do this online) – we used the clay method and an orbital polisher. When you are polishing or having the shop do it, there may be small sections where anodization remains, don’t fret! If its a small area its very easy to fix yourself by applying the drain cleaner/soap liquid and polish again using a small orbital polisher or even by hand with a rag I found to work.. if it’s a larger area you can also reapply the drain cleaner and polish it again being really careful not to drip on your already polished areas.

And the finished product:

I also polished the aluminum/anodized window cover in the front of the trailer (which should be removed to do this) as well as the aluminum propane tanks which were already bare aluminum.

I am debating now whether or not to paint the gold stripe around the trailer again or leave if polished; I think it looks really cool either way.

Nothing beats the look of a mirror polished old aluminum trailer!

Post with any questions or comments, curious who else out there has a Silver Streak they are planning to de-anodize, happy to help anyone out there who wants to take this on!

shaun
Old 11-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
Nice looking trailer. The inside condition looks really good for it's age. Looking forward to more posts.
Just posted! And thanks yep its amazing trailer.. has been a fun project.

shaun
Old 11-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Cute little bugger!

Can't wait to read your second post to see the actual progress and finished result. Love all the original "goodies" - looks to be in awesome original shape...almost a time capsule! Very similar to my previous Airstream, a 1964 GlobeTrotter - also 19'.

Shari
Very cool! Yes we love her and all the original bits. Planning to keep the interior as is and get as many period pieces (such as curtains) made. The only thing not original is the cushion fabric. I've been scouring the internet to try to find period photos of these trailers interior to try to find an appropriate material to make the curtains and cushions out of. Anyone out there have a suggestion on where to get this and/or who to do it (in the SF Bay Area ideally). Thanks!

shaun
Old 11-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Beautiful!

Looks awesome! Thanks for the detailed posts - very thorough! We stripped anodizing off our Bowen water heater cover on our GlobeTrotter using Easy-Off. It wasn't as effective, but was just a small panel so not too bad. If we ever do 'more' I'll definitely reference back to this post....thanks!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Wow, good job! She is beautiful and so sweet that it was so well preserved! Thanks for the detailed post.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Thanks orionbbs for this! I wish I'd seen it before I de-anodized my 65 Avion. I did use oven cleaner (various brands all seemed to work), but I ended up with a lot of streaks that were hard to polish out. I polished it myself and it took a long time because I don't have room to put it inside and weather can really limit when you polish. I agree that it's best to de-anodize the whole camper before polishing. One thing that surprised me was that the window and door trim were not anodized, only the sheet aluminum. Your trailer looks great!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Thanks orionbbs for this! I wish I'd seen it before I de-anodized my 65 Avion. I did use oven cleaner (various brands all seemed to work), but I ended up with a lot of streaks that were hard to polish out. I polished it myself and it took a long time because I don't have room to put it inside and weather can really limit when you polish. I agree that it's best to de-anodize the whole camper before polishing. One thing that surprised me was that the window and door trim were not anodized, only the sheet aluminum. Your trailer looks great!
Thanks! Indeed lessons I learned the hard way..

I didn’t show the bloopers reel which was me spending two days with ‘easy off’ trying to get it to come off... my high school chemistry class kicked in and I figured there must be something out there with higher concentrations of the key ingredient sodium hydroxide that I could buy at Home Depot and vualla... btw I failed to mention in the post, another very high concentration of sodium hydroxide (100% in fact) can be gotten in buckets of powder for making soap on Amazon it’s insanely caustic though and isn’t really needed; 29-50% by volume seems to do the trick without all the risk of melting your skin off

Shaun
Old 11-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Woodward , Oklahoma
What an amazing find, and thanks so much for all the pertinent info!
ddhisself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The original 'stuff' that came with the trailer is just so friggin' cool!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Those after-pics are Christmas card worthy. Nicely documented and nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
solomon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
64 Silver Streak owner

San Jose , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon.m View Post
Those after-pics are Christmas card worthy. Nicely documented and nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Great idea, I will add to our xmas winery newsletter!

shaun
Old 11-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
Smile the saga of de-anodizing a 1964 Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionbbs View Post
I recently purchased a 1964 Silver Streak Sabre 19 with the intention of using it for camping, and also here in San Jose, CA at my winery for supporting wine tasting (not actually inside it given COVID issues of course not to mention it is rather small, but more as a 'prop' given ABC Alcohol Licensing people allows for the trailer to be our tasting room and 'hang our license' inside, giving me more time to budget for our real tasting room…)

This one-owner 1964 Silver Streak was completely original, even having the Silver Streak baseball hats given to them by the dealer way back in ‘64 as well as the original utensils and plates.

...anyhow as many others recently have aspired to have a shiny 60s era polished Airstream look, and given the dullness of a nearly 60yr old anodized Silver Streak trailer with not a lot of options out there to make the anodization look any better, I went down the journey of de-anodization; . . .
Thank you for sharing your tips on de-anodizing. I inherited an 18' 1970 Caravel. I'm a widowed senior citizen on a limited budget and though still relatively active, not quite as handy at tackling d.i.y. projects as I was a few years ago. My A.S. also lives outside in north eastern WA (12" - 16" annual precipitation.)

My question is - If I DO strip off the patchy clear-coat, de-anodize, and polish; will I have to repeat every so many years? Other than it would look much nicer if done, what happens if I DON'T do it? If it really SHOULD be done, how long can I put it off? I have axle replacement, some plumbing issues, stove replacement, and a few other items that are "must do's" before I can travel with it or use as a spare guest room.
Of course I would love a nicer appearance! However, I need to consider priorities in order of necessity!
Thanks for any practical advice!
Karen
KarenCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenCR View Post
Thank you for sharing your tips on de-anodizing. I inherited an 18' 1970 Caravel. I'm a widowed senior citizen on a limited budget and though still relatively active, not quite as handy at tackling d.i.y. projects as I was a few years ago. My A.S. also lives outside in north eastern WA (12" - 16" annual precipitation.)

My question is - If I DO strip off the patchy clear-coat, de-anodize, and polish; will I have to repeat every so many years? Other than it would look much nicer if done, what happens if I DON'T do it? If it really SHOULD be done, how long can I put it off? I have axle replacement, some plumbing issues, stove replacement, and a few other items that are "must do's" before I can travel with it or use as a spare guest room.
Of course I would love a nicer appearance! However, I need to consider priorities in order of necessity!
Thanks for any practical advice!
Karen
Hi Karen,
Airstreams were not made of anodized aluminum, so if you do decide to polish de-anodizing isn't necessary. Polishing is a lot of work, and as soon as you're done you'll start to notice water marks on the surface unless you store it inside. It's not super expensive if you do it yourself, but you will have to buy the polishing compound, polishing machines and various other items. It does require touching up if you want to keep it really shiny. It also involves a lot of time on ladders or scaffolding and is a good workout for the arms and shoulders!
I would suggest not polishing at least until until you figure out all of the other things that you need to get the trailer ready to go. That will give you lots of time to think about if you really want to invest the time and money in polishing, or if you just want to go camping.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
Good info. How do I tell if my 69 Overlander is anodized?
Mbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeech View Post
Good info. How do I tell if my 69 Overlander is anodized?
You can tell because virtually no Airstream was built of anodized aluminum. Wally Byam's gold Airstream was one exception.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
Thanks. Now I can get started cleaning and polishing our “new” 69 Overlander.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
I am confused now. Isn’t this thread listed as saga of de-annodizong a trailer?

Tags