Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Stripping the Overcoat

Just a question about stripping the overcoating on my 1975 Sovereign. If I strip off the overcoat can I leave the aluminum exposed? If not, what do I need to do to after I strip it off? Polishing is not in the very near future. If, or when I do strip it, will I have to remove all beltlines, etc..? Will the stripper damage the beltline, sikaflex, etc...? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
The clearcoat is protecting the aluminum from oxidizing. The only real reason to strip it would be if its failing. Your options are to reclearcoat it, which only a few places in the country can do at consierable expense; leave it alone realizing it will oxidize over time; polish and then clearcoat, or polish with a yearly touchup.

I must say that if your clearcoat is peeling and looks unsightly, stripping it does even it out and it looks much better.

The stripppers will eat anything plasitc, including marker lights, rock gaurds, paint, etc... So use it carefully.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Not sure about the long haul

I have taken some auto 3M compounding stuff that is used in the auto body shop world to polish the clear coat. Does a great job. Not sure how much wear it puts on it, but I figure the clear coat is bad anyway.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll just have to do some research before I make the final decision. I'm sure I won't get to it this year anyway.

Lowell
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #5

Safari Tim, are there any places in Northern California who do stripping and polishing? It looks like too big a job right now. Thanks for the information. It is appreciated! Sean
hurley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I'm going in! Just did a test with the new Cyclo on an area that theclear had been worn off. Looks puurrrdeeeee good. Made an order for:
POR-STRIP® - Remover / Stripper

POR-STRIP ® Paint Remover/Stripper is a clear spray-on remover with the consistency of water. In sample testing, our POR-STRIP ® was the choice of professional auto strippers. A special chemical-resistant spray bottle allows you to use less and finish faster than brushing. Remove any coating from any surface without damaging window glass, chrome, or weatherstrip. POR-STRIP ® is non acidic and will not harm aluminum or factory fiberglass

Ordered up 2 pounds of compound too!
The journey begins [img]images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Sean, None that I am aware of. But I have never researched it either.

I have heard of some getting repairs done at the executive airport (I think that is what it is called) in Sacramento. Maybe they could polish.

The only place I have heard about in California who polishes is the guy Inland recommends which is in Southern Cal.

There is Birchwood Beauties in Richmond that supposedly do full restorations, but I have only heard very negative things about them. So I would get several good references before I would temp that.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley4
Safari Tim, are there any places in Northern California who do stripping and polishing? It looks like too big a job right now. Thanks for the information. It is appreciated! Sean
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote