Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Stripping...Rivets...Leaks?

As a new Airstreamer, I have several questions regarding stripping, rivets, and leaking. When originally manufactured, how well do the rivets seal to prevent water leakage? Does the clearcoat impart any seal? If one removes the clearcoat to polish, do you open your unit up to leaks? For those who have stripped the clearcoat, do you think you have any more leaks? After polishing should I put something on each rivet? Any help before I jump into this project would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Sorry, I can't answer many of your questions but I have read quite a few posts regarding sealing and stripping. With regard to more leaks after stripping, I haven't seen this documented in posts. I have read many posts stating that the new seam sealant (acryl-R) is not affected by common strippers. And, I've deduced that sealing of rivets is not necessary - unless you find specific ones that are leaking/open. I've spent hours & hours removing gobs of silicone sealant from my trailer seams, rivets and windows. It seems that the PO sealed everything possible to stop a leak at some point. You might try reading threads in this area: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote