Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

ft collins , Colorado
can I strip clear coat w/out polishing

Just bought a 78 and was wondering if it was possible to just strip the clear coat off now and wait until winter to do the polishing? Thanks for your help.

Bridger
bridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wentworth , South Dakota
This is America! You can do anything you want.

I'm planing on doing this so I hope no one spoils the idea.
Danetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
After the strip a little car wax would protect it for a while so it would be easier to get a good result later when you may decide to really polish it. depending on the size you could be in for quite a bit of work.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
some strip and wax or coat with sealant by hand and don't ever really polish, yes there are those of us who are not enamored with the mirror look. While it is way cool, of course...we like a more subtle satiny finish.
You might find when the clear is off a little wax will give it a great look. The wax doesn't last real long in the sun, so you might opt for a polymer sealant like Liquid Glass, or Meguirs, etc.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No problem!

We stripped ours and took about two summers to polish it (are you ever really "done").

I too know of several who have found that stripping and just waxing is a-okay with them. It depends on the integrity of your clearcoat...if it is real splotchy, then parts of the exposed aluminum may have oxidized for longer than others, which will give you a shiny vs less-shiny splotchy look even after stripping. If the clearcoat has failed evenly, then you may find your aluminum pretty evenly patina-ed and not want or need to polish at all as the aluminum under the clearcoat was protected.

Regardless, keep in mind that really oxidized areas have been developed over years of exposure, not weeks, so a couple of months won't make a difference in your overall polishing effort no matter what method you choose.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I've been working on the roof vents this summer and found it necessary to strip back the clearcoat to remove the PO's silicone sealing attempts. The skin under what I thought was pretty badly damaged clear looked great.
While I resprayed with automotive clearcoat, because I'm not at the stage for a strip and polish, I would say try a small roof panel, which usually deteriorate first, and check it out. Couldn't hurt anything, you'll get to check the skin, and, can be redone if you have to.
Good Luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote