Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 08:26 PM   #81

Listen-

I've used about everything I run across- I'll buy almost anything and will try it- and thats how I found this stuff- actually a guy gave me a bottle that was past its normal shelf life, he was at a Harley rally, and when I told him I did 'Streams he handed me the stuff. I used it on an old bike I had and was shocked, and then did a test spot on a weathered A/S and was surprised again.
I've instructed on how I use it and get easy and very nice results- in what sounds like 10-20% the time most others talk about polishing theirs. Its not magic- its not like poof! and its shiny, it takes work, but I have 98% humidity here, and 95F, and I want it done and quickly- got something better? I'm interested! I'll try it!
This stuff is really cheap, it goes a long way, and I'm still looking for something that works better- even if it costs me $100 in materials to do a trailer, as opposed to $7- my time is worth it and I'm tired of cranking on it out in the heat!
I tried Nuvite, and a cyclo, and for me its not easy and I can't understand why people use it. I do understand the value of the Airmark! And I want one.
3M pads are available at any marine store, and at www.lewismarine.com or go to 3M's site and search for a dealer close by- all body shop suppliers will have the full line- including Finesse and Perfect it and the foam pads for swirl removal.
If you want to polish your trailer by hand or try products by hand- I have no idea how long or how well its gonna work- I use a machine, and when I need exercise I go to a gym or swim a mile or more in the ocean- not mess with polishing.
I don't want to ruin the thread- or cause it to be deleted- BUT: A) I'm not a liar. B) I explained how to use it. C)I sent it out for trial FREE. D) I have no profit worked into it. E) I only wanted to help people get their trailers polished easier- I'll never forget a year ago, one guy put on here how he spent all day and had a corner of his cap- like 3 skins- polished. If someone who is so sold on Nuvite tries it and rubs it by hand and gives me grief about it not working- what should I say- I gave instructions on how I use it to get the results that I get, and these folks are hand buffing a trailer?
You guys can decide. Swabbie still hasn't replied- hopefully he'll use a machine and a 3M pad, and we should hear from him soon...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

My post wasn't meant to knock, "tt"

just to inform on another way of polishing, (a very old way). I will however mention this, you posted several times you have done 10 AS's with SS. Do you have pic's? If not can you get them? A few 35mm shots, take it to Wally World or the like and have them put on disc so you can post on the cyber world. It's not that expensive, 6-8 bucks, and you can show your work off! Look for mine, the new Dometic arrives tomorrow and insallation will be photographed!

Oscar
Old 07-24-2003, 08:52 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
s.s. again

Just because I can be dense sometimes, Please repost these "machines" that you just happen to get your favored results with TT, if you would.
Silverhawk
Old 07-24-2003, 09:23 PM   #84

I use a high speed buffer/grinder- and I use it on low speed- around 3 out of 6, but vary it slightly depending on how the metal reacts- gotta watch the heat, and avoid a warped skin...
You can buy these things from $50 at Harbor Freight- its a cheap chink model but it'll last ya a couple years under normal use.
I said I have 10 trailers, not 10 done- they're all over the country and 1 is on its way to France right now- the rest are soon to follow. My FC is 90% complete, and my Spartan is about 70% done, but rather than bust ass on polishing all of them before they go on boats, I decided its just gonna get worse on the ships, and wait til I have them in europe and use the Airmark. I did my overlander last year- finished it with an Italian product called Stoppani- which I would have to say works as well as any I've used- and its in a can like the Turtle wax you were talking about, and I smeared it on with a paint brush and buffed it off- its $16 for a can here in the USA though, and I have to say its as easy to use as SS- great results fast, and it wasn't very abrasive. The first 2/3's of thetrailer were done with SS, but I ran out and was in St. Tropez. Had to use this Stoppani, and was glad I did...
I don't know how to get a pic of my FC from my iPhoto on my MAC onto your site- if someone can tell me how- I'll be happy to try it.... Peace.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

**WARNING*WARNING*-Not for Children*** To TRAILER TRASH- I stated nicely in a previous post that I tried your much hyped product & did not like the results.I also thanked you. Now you start PMing me , stating your dislike for my negative comments of your product.You even put a nasty tone or two in said PM. Do me a favor take your S.S. & stick it up your southern end. I deal with the scum of the earth everyday & I would rather talk to them then to you. Stop PMing us , if you have something to say -put it on this thread. The truth is that you are a liar.Plain & simple. Show us at least One of your ten trailers. Just one. Your a disgrace to Airstreamers- you truly are TrailerTrash. And yeah - you have my name & address-If you ever want to stop by & discuss the subject-bring yourself & your petty threats.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #86
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Post This is the first and final warning to all members.

Forum policies will be enforced without fail.

If you are not abiding by the rules your post may be deleted, or you may be banned altogether from the forum.

Posts or PM's with threatening content should be brought to the attention of the moderators or forum administrator so appropriate action can be taken.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #87
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Brett, I agree totally. I have been noticing a trend lately on more than one thread where folks are just getting real nasty. This post in particular is one of the more mild ones.

Must be a full moon coming or something.

Eric
Old 07-31-2003, 02:03 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
I'll take it

If I understand correctly, TrailerTrash sent Southern Shine to two people, one of whom thought it didn't work "as advertised." If either person wants to send on any unused SS to me, I'd be glad to try it and post "before" and "after" pics. I've tried a couple of Harley shops around here, but they haven't heard of it.
Eugenie
Old 07-31-2003, 02:16 PM   #89

I PM'd ...

Chi, and asked him to pass it on to someone else. He took it wrong for some reason- Brett was just sent the PM to scrutinize for threatening content.

Perhaps PM Chi, and ask for it to be re-boxed in the same UPS approved packing, and forward it to you.

Do you have a high speed buffer and a 3M pad? These make all the difference- as I stated above.

Thanks for the interest, and I hope it saves you as much time as it saves me.

People don't realize it- but I've polished everything from stainless steel to all grades of aluminum, glass, to plastics, and I see what works and what doesn't and on what substrates. A 21' trailer in 8 hours shined to a 7.5 or 8 is impressive to me, and I hope others will see the value in this product.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:33 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Unsubscribing from this thread

You know what guys? This is so immature that I waste my time when I get notified by email that there is another post here on this thread. So I'm outta here. TT, I think that it's OK for you to tell people about SS, and whoever wants it, great, if not, then move on, as I'm doing.
Lee, I recommend that you quit following TT to however many forums he goes to. Unless you have some good info for us about A/S in general, maybe you should stay with Spartan.
I will ignore PM's from all parties involved in this thread, unless it's from a moderator I recognize telling me that I am toeing the line here. Hope to see the rest of you all in some other thread.
Closed Thread