Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I would think that whatever AS uses at the factory on the new units would be a good choice? B

the white tops on newer units are prefinished panels.

a/s doesn't apply this, they buy the skin prefinished.

a/s no longer applies plasticoat to any skin on new units. it is still applied it to window frames (vendor done?), i think.

it's important to distinguish between the various plasti-coats applied by a/s over the years...

and the clear-coat that is alcoa applied to skin panels now...

otoh, all the toppings eventually fail.

pigmented coatings (paint) does last much longer than either the plasti-coats or current clearcoat.

imron (using the dupont name generically for polyurethane auto paints) and other aluminum compatible paints DO have flex agents included in the formulations.

a/s/dealers did paint the trailers one year and the color they used is very very aluminum like.

of course a great paint job is all about the prep and masking too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...int-30849.html

bigal here has a painted trailer, that looks very very good after 12-13 years.

i had my 79 moho painted in '88 and at 19 years is still really nice on the sides.
the top/end caps have deteriorated now, after 24/7 of sun and no care in the last 7 years.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote