Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Removing Tape residue from aluminum

Hello from Aiken, SC! Last summer a landscaper at my storage place kicked up a rock and busted out the original 1966 back window of my 1966 Caravel. He taped up the window using a black trash bag and duct tape and clear packaging tape directly onto the aluminum skin. I am finally getting around to trying to get the tape residue off. I tried Goop-Off and a microfiber cloth and I didn’t have much luck. Can anyone provide guidance? Anyone have this problem? And, once I get the residue off I plan to polish the area so it will be shiny again like the rest of the trailer. Any help on polishing without a polishing tool? I’m going to have to do it by hand. What kind of polish, cloths, the steps to follow etc. Thank you in advance for your help!!

One other thing. I have replaced the window with Lexan. What do you think of Lexan versus glass? Before this happened all of my windows were original. Do you think this will effect the value of my camper?

By the way, her name is Shiny Hiney! Thanks for helping me get her back in shape and shiny!

Angela
alumfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #2
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Try WD40 or fingernail polish remover with a cotton cloth on the tape and polish with Simichrome.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We use isopropyl alcohol to remove tenacious pine sap, sticker residue, etc.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Use lacquer thinner on a cloth. It won't harm the aluminum, but will eat away that residue.

It is also what many of us use to clean the aluminum between polishing passes.

You don't want to polish by hand. Either get the tools (and put in the time), or clean it well and let it age gracefully. I plan to wash my '61 with scotch brite pads and PPG Final Scuff to get a uniform finish. Polishing may have to wait for a few years.

As for the lexan window, it will scratch easier than glass. I don't think it will affect resale much, but it could. Those original windows are hard to source, and if they are all present, I would think the overall price could be higher.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Try a citrus based adhesive remover like Goo Gone. Though it sounds like the same as Goof-Off it is very different. Works much better on adhesives along with being somewhat plastic safe.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumfever View Post
He taped up the window using a black trash bag and duct tape and clear packaging tape directly onto the aluminum skin. I am finally getting around to trying to get the tape residue off. I tried Goop-Off and a microfiber cloth and I didn’t have much luck. Can anyone provide guidance? Anyone have this problem?

Angela
I had an adhesive residue on my chrome wheels that would not come off until I ordered a can of 3M Adhesive remover and some plastic razor blades. I have since used the 3M on numerous adhesives with great success and no damage.
You do need to work it down in layers, first the tape then the thickest adhesive till you have it down to a very thin layer then the final application will take that up.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
On an older trailer like yours with no clear cost, lacquer thinner or alcohol is ok, but do not use those thing on a coated newer trailer they will remove the finish. I use plain old paint thinner to get off tape residue tar and bugs.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It is interesting that you asked this question. I just removed the weather stripping from our screen door and there was a residue left on it that needed to be cleaned off. I went to get my goop off and realized I just thru it out a week ago. So I decided to try a can of engine cleaner and it worked like a charm. Now remember I did this on the screen door and not the panels. You might want to try it on a small spot if you have any on hand
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
It's always a bit of trial and error as to which magic juice is going to work best. My 2 favorites are the 3M adhesive remover and WD40 although others may do ok. Sometimes with the 3M you need to really soak the applicator and let it sit on it for a while. In spots where you may be ok with it I'll use Scotchbrite. Sometimes I'm after that "buffed" look. Consider trying a little heat. Currently working on a '46 Spartan with some really old tape residue, think decades. I'm going to try a spritz of Aircraft paint remover, I'll report results.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
No finger nail polish remover on clear-coat. IT WILL TAKE THE FINISH OFF
If your trailer is polished then it probably doesn't have a finish.
Paint remover or gasoline will work. Need some elbow grease
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
A old stand by would be peanut butter. The oils will break down the glue. It may take longer but the surface will not be damaged.
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
So, I did try "Aircraft" paint stripper in a spray can. It worked great. Spray on, sit for 3-5 minutes, wipe off, clean residue with clean rag and mineral spirits. Tape residue was probably 30 years old + or -. This was bare Al-clad, no clearcoat or any other finish on the aluminum.
We have fond memories of riding over to Aiken for a charming little southern town, which Augusta GA was not.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
You might try a rubber eraser wheel. I bought one on amazon to remove the adhesive I couldn't get off after replacing my city water valve. It worked great, left no residue and was very fasts.

AB Rubber Eraser Wheel with Drill
Adapter 1-Pack - Pinstripe, Double Sided
Adhesive, Vinyl Decal, Graphics Removal
Tool
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Apple Valley , Minnesota
Duct tape for duct tape residue

I have found using fresh duct tape to remove duct tape and other tape residue works well, but is tedious.

Press a fresh 3-6 inch piece on, and peel it back off, press it on again and peel it off again... move through the area and replace the "cleaning" piece as it looses it's tacky-ness. If the residue is dried out, start with Windex with a paper towel. That tends to help clean up the exposed surface of the residue, and once it evaporates, the duct tape can grab onto the now sticky crud to be removed. Changing the pulling angle and/or twisting the tape a bit also helps when an area is not being removed, to get a better contact/and pull effect.

Side note - hearing from city employees that the best thing to get fiberglass fibers out of your hand after they touch a fiberglass snow stake or the fire hydrant markers, is duct tape... I've followed their advice.
Squeegee
Squeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #15
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I had a broken front window on my Caravel. A local glass shop was able to cut the proper thickness of glass to size, finish the edges, and have it tempered. The issue I had with Lexan was that it was not as thick as the glass and didn't fit well.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #16

1987 34' Excella
St. Georges , Manitoba
Quote:
Hello from Aiken, SC! Last summer a landscaper at my storage place kicked up a rock and busted out the original 1966 back window of my 1966 Caravel. He taped up the window using a black trash bag and duct tape and clear packaging tape directly onto the aluminum skin. I am finally getting around to trying to get the tape residue off. I tried Goop-Off and a microfiber cloth and I didn’t have much luck. Can anyone provide guidance? Anyone have this problem? And, once I get the residue off I plan to polish the area so it will be shiny again like the rest of the trailer. Any help on polishing without a polishing tool? I’m going to have to do it by hand. What kind of polish, cloths, the steps to follow etc. Thank you in advance for your help!!

One other thing. I have replaced the window with Lexan. What do you think of Lexan versus glass? Before this happened all of my windows were original. Do you think this will effect the value of my camper?

By the way, her name is Shiny Hiney! Thanks for helping me get her back in shape and shiny!

Angela
Methyl Ethyl Ketone will take the goo off. Double glove as it will eat gloves quickly. It is toxic and flammable so use in a well ventilated area. Baking soda and water or toothpaste and water and a lot of elbow grease will bring up the shine.
Bushpilotwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
I didn't see any mention of a hair dryer. I always start with a little heat to reactivate the adhesive.
PK Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
Dr Johnny B. Clark

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Merritt Island , Florida
Try Goo Gone

Try Goo Gone I use it for everything that is sticky from stickers, tape residue, etc.
Quote:

Angela
jbclak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
2019 23' International
Tomball , Texas
3M adhesive remover
B17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Thank you for the great tips. I’ll let you know what works. I may take photos of the progress also.

On a completely different subject, I went camping at Huntington Beach State Park in Murrell’s Inlet, SC in April. Great spot! Besides a rally, I had never seen so many Airstreams in a campground! Mine was the oldest and the shortest. Lots of new and relatively new campers. Nice to see all that Aluminum! Headed to Talulah Gorge State Park at the beginning of June. Anyone else headed there?

See you down the road!

Angela
alumfever is offline   Reply With Quote