Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Refinishing one segment

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about polishing or re-plastic coating the entire trailer. But, has anybody just redone one or two panels using the Airstream touch-up clear coat or one of the other coatings that have been mentioned in previous threads? I have a couple of panels that have had the clear coat damaged by bird droppings! (The previous owner didn't take care of the situation quickly enough) Sure would like to clean up the problem--so to speak! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Juergen, I did just that on my trailer. I used the Aircraft stripper from Wal-Mart, after carefully masking all the surrounding areas with brown paper from the inside of horse feed bags. I used a 5 foot step-ladder for access. I then used one Airstream can of Plasticote for each segment. It's expensive (about $18 a can IIRC) but it's a quality product with a very efficient nozzle. Just keep your spraying finger well back from the front of the button to prevent drips blowing off your finger. Stop every 20 seconds to wipe any excess off the nozzle area, again to prevent drips. Do many thin coats until the can is exhausted. I couldn't get a full gloss effect without risking runs, so I'd give my result 7 out of 10.
Nick.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Nick, Thanks for your input! Sounds like it's worth a try. Did you spray the entire panel in one outing, our did you do numerous thin coats? Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Juergen, all in one session, but leaving a couple of minutes between each coat. The important work is in the preparation. Follow the instructions carefully from the back of the stripper can. I used a nylon dish scouring pad to wipe off the worst of the goop of stripper and dead plasticote. Make sure the segment is truly clean, and free from stripper, as well as plasticote.If you do one segment a day, you will soon build up skill and confidence. Have fun!
Nick.