Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
Project Polish Week 2

Well, I only got at it for about eight hours last week, but some progress was made after all

especially compared to a week ago
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ess-21042.html

Forcast is rain, so next week's might not be much of an improvement!
kitycatalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Looking good!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice start!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
Thanks!
I like how the pink flamingos are now reflected
Old 03-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Kity...

which grade Nuvite are you using to cut with? Are you using a buffing pad on a drill or.....? I can't tell if the haziness is leftover product, or if it just needs to be cut more. If it's leftover polish, I used flour on a t-shirt to get it off nicely.
Looking good!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
I'm using the buffer from Harbor Freight that was eatred on the perfect polish site, and F7. I'll try the flour.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up 8hrs and...

Looking great~!
I think I spend 240 plus hrs on mine...lol
Just remember to use as little as possible for each spot and, keep it clean as you go..
There's a huge write up on it and, I'm sure you read up on all of it..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just a suggestion...

you may want to up your cutting power to G9. Your trailer looks very oxidized - you may cut some of your time and effort with it.

Keep it up!
Marc
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Just a thought, this is what I did to cut the first layers fairly easy.

6” Buffer prior to using the Cyclo. Using a 3M compound to get at the first step of polishing.

Notes:
3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound 5954 Quart
+ Aggressive compound.
+ Remains wet on the job with little or no mess.
+ Maintains high rate of cut with constant pressure.
+ Buffs to high gloss with minimum of swirl marks.
+ Can be used by hand or machine.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Yeah, the G6 works well on really oxidized surfaces, and as it says on the perfectpolish site, it breaks down to something like C. I had to use it when I polished my Caravel because it was taking way too much effort and time with the F7. It also didn't leave as many deep cuts as the F7.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
[quote=3Ms75Argosy]you may want to up your cutting power to G9. Your trailer looks very oxidized - you may cut some of your time and effort with it.

The top is way more oxidized than the top. In the back where I did a test polish, I got the same results with C grade. When I first brought her home, there was what looked like an abandoned polishing experiment on the side panel. As a necomer to this process, I'm a bit hesitant to use the G9 with the scratch potential.

When we're on the subject, here's something I've been mulling. I like the shiny look, without the so called mirror finish. Call it a "vintage" finish if you will. Shiny, but not sparkling bright. There are a lot of dents and such on her that I think are just showcased more as the finish gets brighter and more reflective. From what I understand the S grade is not only a tool for reaching the mirror finish, but will add some protection. If I'm not looking to reach that stage, will I need some some sort of protection layer? Should I use the S anyway, just lightly for the protective qualities? Or am I just all wrong?

I realize this is very much a work in progress, but there is much satifaction in just removing the corroded gunk on the first step. I'm sure the satisfaction wears off a bit as fatigue sets in!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Just remember to use as little as possible for each spot and, keep it clean as you go..
There's a huge write up on it and, I'm sure you read up on all of it..
ciao
53FC
Yeah, just a little light reading!
There is a big difference in too much/not enough polish. I guess it's just like goldilocks, finding what works just right. I think I may have figured the right amount out now.
Keeping a clean surface is a major part too. I've been using mineral spirts in a spray bottle for keeping rivets and such clean and tidy.
If the weather stays crummy, I may move inside for a bit. Got some nasty paint to scrape.
Thanks to everyone for the input!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Actually it's quite easy..put a il dab from your finger tip into a small square spread abt 2 in or so.. Picture a 2 in sq and just a dab in each corner of the sq..Work it together using the compound polisher...try it..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
Quote:
Actually it's quite easy..put a il dab from your finger tip into a small square spread abt 2 in or so.. Picture a 2 in sq and just a dab in each corner of the sq..Work it together using the compound polisher...try it..
ciao
53FC
Yep, that's about what I've been doing. Less is more.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Kewl..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitycatalina
Yep, that's about what I've been doing. Less is more.
Let see..That's great then, are you using a sheep wool pad??
Your compounding with the tip of the pad at an angle to the surface until it's all gone? btw, change the pads often..(as soon as they gum up completely)..
If so, I think it's just that you have several more steps to go before you get it to that sheen or mirror like stage..You'll know when it's there...lol, because you can see yourself in the mirror..
Personally, I think your doing fantastic~! I'll leave you alone..
I just love that trailer~!!!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
He Hee...

We're all experts, aren't we? Ok, one last bit of couch time quarterbacking. I did use 3M polishing compound, but in the medium grit. I do agree it's easy to use, and cuts well with a minimum of swirls - however, I wish I had started with the aggressive cut, as I think I'd have a slightly shiner trailer. I think this gave me a nice "vintage" look, with a very even appearance. I also used Heavy Metal aggressive cut, which made the window frames just shine up like crazy.

It's getting to the finer mirror appearance which was driving me nuts. I think I'll polish again with Heavy Metal medium and fine this year (using a palm sander with t-shirt material for the fine). Failing this, I'll bite the bullet and get the Nuvite and a cyclo.
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	19097  
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
Quote:
Let see..That's great then, are you using a sheep wool pad??
Your compounding with the tip of the pad at an angle to the surface until it's all gone? btw, change the pads often..(as soon as they gum up completely)..
If so, I think it's just that you have several more steps to go before you get it to that sheen or mirror like stage..You'll know when it's there...lol, because you can see yourself in the mirror..
Personally, I think your doing fantastic~! I'll leave you alone..
I just love that trailer~!!!!
ciao
53FC
Woolly pad? Check.
Compounding with tip at an angle? Check.
I have about a dozen pads so I can change out when I'm on a roll. I have a bunch soaking on the porch in some TSP.
Just need another 200 hours or so, and I'm golden. Well, silver.
Not really going for the super reflective mirror look, just a nice shine.
How long have you had your FC? I'm torn on trying to find a 53 or 54 plate for it. The title says 54, but the SN points to a 53. Both year plates show up on ebay pretty regularly. Plus I only need one. Lots easier than trying to find a matched set for my 65 pontiac.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1954 18' Wanderer
austin , Texas
It's getting to the finer mirror appearance which was driving me nuts. I think I'll polish again with Heavy Metal medium and fine this year (using a palm sander with t-shirt material for the fine). Failing this, I'll bite the bullet and get the Nuvite and a cyclo.

Tell me more about your palm sander technique. I'd love to not have to shell out for a cyclo right now. Do you just wrap the T shirt around the sander? 100% cotton?
Yours is a 75 trailer, I assume from your username. Is it the same aluminum as 20 years prior? Did it have a clearcoat? Really nice job on the polishing.
Not a great picture, I like the finish on this airstream. Shiny but not super reflective. Hope I'm headed in the right direction.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:23 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

I have been using the Nuvite C on my 76 AS and have been polishing since January. A couple of hours a day. I am finally at the front end cap where I started. There was a lot of corrosion and I don't think that it will ever go away. Your on the right path. It takes time and energy. I am interested in the hand sander with the tshirt, too. Need more information. It would be nice to have a mirror shine, but for right now just getting it clean and where I can see myself in the aluminum will work for me.
Airstreammam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a few words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitycatalina

Tell me more about your palm sander technique. I'd love to not have to shell out for a cyclo right now. Do you just wrap the T shirt around the sander? 100% cotton?
Shiny but not super reflective. Hope I'm headed in the right direction.
Hi~
Once again I comment you on the progress~!
Several notes:
One, the 53FC was sold over 7 yrs ago and, I've regret that decision more times than I care to mention..lol
Second, I honestly don't think you'll be very happy with the results just using a t'shirt over a sander..If I'm not mistaken, I think you'll end up with more swirls scratche marks than you'd want. The beauty of the cyclo is, with proper techniques, you end up with a perfect finis, without the scratch marks. Try it first on a piece of scrap aluminum and see for yourself.
If I were closer, I'd lend you mine for a few weeks..
Good luck to both of you~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit