Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Polishing, what to do - what to do?

I've been stripping off my plasticoat and I'm nearly ready to begin polishing. http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=1983867

At this point I'm in the process of looking for the right tools, polishing products, etc. I'm pretty certain I'm going to use Jestco Products, but I've yet to decide for sure. Their method requires a much higher rpm polisher (3000 - 4000 rpm), which is really a repurposed grinder, but the claim is that it really reduces polishing time.

I've only spoken with one Streamer whose polished his AS, a 97 30' Excella and he also ended up using Nuvite and other things, but his AS was looking good. The main power tool he used was a Dewalt DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher. He's using a Cyclo for the final polish.

Some of the stuff I'm also wondering about are the following:

Should I remove all of the marker lights, and if so how do I keep from losing the wires inside the wall. *If memory serves it seems I went to replace one of the marker lights a few years ago and the damn wire was so short I chickened out and just replaced the lens. *
What about the belts (rub rails)? *I have one at the bottom and another at mid level. *They both consist of an aluminum track with a blue plastic / rubber stripe that slips into them. *I stripped the aluminum sides of these, as well, when I did the body. It did not seem to harm the blue flexible plastic inserts, but I can replace that part if need be. *

I'm wondering if I should attempt to remove the aluminum belt rails for polishing or at least the rubber stripes? *Has anyone else done this?

I know I've thrown a lot out here, but I'll appreciate any experience based advice I can get.

Thanks,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Pete, I used Nuvite and would not change that on the next one, started with C using an old craftsman 7" grinder/polisher(I would update that though) and I might try a courser grade but it did cut the mill finish in a few applications. The Cyclo is a must to follow up with and I used C first followed by S for the final, the terry cloth needs to be used to get best results.
I removed the marker lights and taped over wires and holes, removed the badges and lettering and again taped over any holes, basically anything you can remove the easier and better the polish will end up.
I did leave the belt rails including the insert witch I replaced after everything was done, the extruded rail is anodized so when you bump it with the polisher it does not affect it much and I did not tape it but you could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	291722  

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Pete, I used Nuvite and would not change that on the next one, started with C using an old craftsman 7" grinder/polisher(I would update that though) and I might try a courser grade but it did cut the mill finish in a few applications. The Cyclo is a must to follow up with and I used C first followed by S for the final, the terry cloth needs to be used to get best results.
I removed the marker lights and taped over wires and holes, removed the badges and lettering and again taped over any holes, basically anything you can remove the easier and better the polish will end up.
I did leave the belt rails including the insert witch I replaced after everything was done, the extruded rail is anodized so when you bump it with the polisher it does not affect it much and I did not tape it but you could.
My god, that looks great, Alan! Really amazing. So, when are you going to do the rest of it? [emoji14]
Seriously, I'd love to see some additional pics.

Thanks for taking time to answer questions and share your experience.
I guess I need to do some more reading on Nuvite.

The big draw for me toward Jestco, is the claim of less hours and the ability to see quickly areas that need additional attention. Of course, I have no personal experience to draw from. In my initial post, I was not totally clear, the Streamer who polished his 30' Excella, started with Jestco, but apparently, also used some Nuvite. Unfortunately, I did not question him enough on why he did that.

How many hours do you estimate you spent on polishing?
What would you say were your biggest surprises?
What would you do differently if doing it again? I've already learned several lessons on just the stripping.

When you polish the upper areas and the end caps what type of platform did you use. I'm 5'5", so I need ways of comfortably reaching and working on the high areas.

Speaking of high areas, I'm wondering if I should start high and work down, or does it matter?

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Start at top and work down your cord will be rubbing the trailer and if you were at final polish it would leave marks. The rest of our trailer needs some more work but with summer temps and lots of sun you can't do much but get fried so will finish this fall/winter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	291756  
Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Looks like Iphone pics are to blame for sideways as someone pointed out around here, only time I have posted from the phone and only pic that has been sideways.
Anyway I forgot to address the time issue and while I did not keep track since I was in a trance most of the time seeing only aluminum I would guess about 3 weeks 8-10 hrs a day by myself. Probably could do it in 2 weeks the next time since I have a better idea what I'm doing and would go straight to compounding with a new machine, not sure which but would center around what Nuvite says. As I said before too that I would try a heavier compound than C to begin with and that should speed up the process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1317.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	291766  

Alan
Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Start at top and work down your cord will be rubbing the trailer and if you were at final polish it would leave marks. The rest of our trailer needs some more work but with summer temps and lots of sun you can't do much but get fried so will finish this fall/winter
Looking pretty sweet. Something to be proud of.

I totally get what you're saying about working in direct sunlight. I imagine it could fry you bad. I'm lucky to have a lot of shade here at our campsite. We're planning to remove the awnings tomorrow.

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Looks like Iphone pics are to blame for sideways as someone pointed out around here, only time I have posted from the phone and only pic that has been sideways.
Anyway I forgot to address the time issue and while I did not keep track since I was in a trance most of the time seeing only aluminum I would guess about 3 weeks 8-10 hrs a day by myself. Probably could do it in 2 weeks the next time since I have a better idea what I'm doing and would go straight to compounding with a new machine, not sure which but would center around what Nuvite says. As I said before too that I would try a heavier compound than C to begin with and that should speed up the process.
Gorgeous. Trance, or maybe just Alumatized. [emoji15]

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
I've used nuvite with the wool pads and have switched to Zephyr wheels and bars. My AS was bad - '79. With Zephyr it only takes three passes, primarily uses vertical wheel motion (no swirl marks), doesn't fling polish all over, breathing mask is required. My preference is Zephyr.
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
1972 Safari 23 ft

1972 23' Safari
naples , Florida
Polishing

I used nuvite and a buffpro buffer on my 1972 22 Safari and had great results considering I am a rookie.? The buffpro is great and doesn't produce swirls. Good luck
bellonaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmypoacher View Post
I've used nuvite with the wool pads and have switched to Zephyr wheels and bars. My AS was bad - '79. With Zephyr it only takes three passes, primarily uses vertical wheel motion (no swirl marks), doesn't fling polish all over, breathing mask is required. My preference is Zephyr.
Pygmypoacher:
That last picture looks amazing. Very impressive. Curious, why did you switch methods.

Man, I just got rid of a full face respirator. What type / level of filtration did you use.

I've looked at Jestco. From what I'm seeing Zephyr looks very similar. Heard anything one way or the other regarding Jestco?

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Pygmypoacher:
That last picture looks amazing. Very impressive. Curious, why did you switch methods.

Man, I just got rid of a full face respirator. What type / level of filtration did you use.

I've looked at Jestco. From what I'm seeing Zephyr looks very similar. Heard anything one way or the other regarding Jestco?

Regards,
Pete
Switched for the reasons mentioned plus I found myself taking multiple passes with the same polish grade when using the pads. Zephyr is only one pass per grade for me so far. Using three grades from fast cutting to fine polish. I'm not familiar with toes of masks/filtration or Jestco.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
PigmyPoacher, that looks awesome! What do you think about the risk of over doing it with Zephyr? One of the benefits of Nuvite is you would have to really try to screw up to damage the skin but at the same time that does make it a slower process. Just curious what you think on that.
Pete you know we can never achieve that shine with our trailers, older ones using a different aluminum sheet grade, Alclad coating I think.

Alan
Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Polishing My Airstream

Just had my 1977 Airstream polished for $550.00 and it looks great. They did it in one week and with 2 miles of my house. Yes, I'm a happy camper. If your AS need polishing give "1SHINE+", High Speed Polishing and Detailing a call at (210) 394-1868, 14287 I.H-10E, Schertz, TX and ask for Garland or give them a visit. Also, ask him to show you the video on his phone polishing as AS. What's in it for me. Zero but when some one does a good job or a bad job I'll pass it on and hope you do the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream Polikshed, Aug 2017 012.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	291875  
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellonaples View Post
I used nuvite and a buffpro buffer on my 1972 22 Safari and had great results considering I am a rookie.? The buffpro is great and doesn't produce swirls. Good luck
At your suggestion, I checked it out. Looks impressive, certainly something to keep in mind.

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Switched for the reasons mentioned plus I found myself taking multiple passes with the same polish grade when using the pads. Zephyr is only one pass per grade for me so far. Using three grades from fast cutting to fine polish. I'm not familiar with toes of masks/filtration or Jestco.
Noted,. I've taken a look at some Zephyr videos. Apparently, They recommend and provide a special wheel for each of the different stages and compounds. They never really mentioned the operating rpms, just said they were printed on the wheels. What rpms were you operating at, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
PigmyPoacher, that looks awesome! What do you think about the risk of over doing it with Zephyr? One of the benefits of Nuvite is you would have to really try to screw up to damage the skin but at the same time that does make it a slower process. Just curious what you think on that.
Pete you know we can never achieve that shine with our trailers, older ones using a different aluminum sheet grade, Alclad coating I think.
Yeah, thanks, I am aware of that, but from what I've seen of the post alcad ASs that have been polished, I'll still be very happy and satisfied with the results. I just won't park next to Pigmypoacher. [emoji1]

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMac View Post
Just had my 1977 Airstream polished for $550.00 and it looks great. They did it in one week and with 2 miles of my house. Yes, I'm a happy camper. If your AS need polishing give "1SHINE+", High Speed Polishing and Detailing a call at (210) 394-1868, 14287 I.H-10E, Schertz, TX and ask for Garland or give them a visit. Also, ask him to show you the video on his phone polishing as AS. What's in it for me. Zero but when some one does a good job or a bad job I'll pass it on and hope you do the same.
That looks great. I can't possibly imagine how they did that for $550. You need to move and not leave a forwarding address in case they come to their senses! You got the deal of a lifetime.

Regards,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Noted,. I've taken a look at some Zephyr videos. Apparently, They recommend and provide a special wheel for each of the different stages and compounds. They never really mentioned the operating rpms, just said they were printed on the wheels. What rpms were you operating at, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,
Pete
The wheels vary slightly recommending big to exceed 3000 - 3200 rpm.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Personally I don't think one has more risk than the other. The tendency may be to overdo the pad since I don't think it cuts as well. The whole 'you'll cut yourself with a dull knife before you would with a sharp one'.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Personally I don't think one has more risk than the other. The tendency may be to overdo the pad since I don't think it cuts as well. The whole 'you'll cut yourself with a dull knife before you would with a sharp one'.
Either way you'll look funny...