Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Hi Hueytownalss
Just wondering if you ever finished the SS?
We are looking into an Avion TT that has a Electro-Coated (anodized by Electricity rather than an electric charged chemical bath) Generally you see this called E-coated (for Electro-Coated Anodizing).
so we are trying to find owners that had done what you did and how well is it holding up.
BTW the pics that you posted looked great!
Regards
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Our 1973 SS Continental Atlas is pretty much finished on the inside. My wife is hung up on the exterior. Thank you all for the perspectives. What about cleaning and finishing in a satin? Removing the gold panels and having them re-anodized? Our first step is to build a battery box elevated above the tongue, sandblasting the tongue and bumper and painting them………hammered silver.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
new westminster , British Columbia
Polishing

Did you have to protect the Gold trim when removing the anodizing?
Are you using the flat surface of the buffing pad with liquid compound or the edge of a buffing wheel with a stick compound?
Eric J Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
The gold had mostly faded. Am using paint to replace that. Do not get oven cleaner on the gold.

I used the edge of the wheel with stick compound.

I have not worked on it in some time, due to illnesses in family. It takes some time, but look great when done.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
It has been quite a while since I been able to work on our Silver Streak polish project. It has been a long few years with family health issues, and deaths in the family, and tremendous load at work. One note however, the initial polish I started is as mirror finish as when I first did it, even sitting out exposed to the elements.

I really would like to finish it, but may not have time. I have someone interested in buying it, and finishing it. Not sure if I will do that or not.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #46

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Anodize texture

Hi, I’m considering de-anodizing my SS like you did yours. I have a ‘73 Continental Atlas. Just came across this thread, so might not get to you, but Would love to know if the oven cleaner left any kind of texture/pattern on your bare aluminum. I tried a bit on mine and it left an orange-peel look. I’m sure I left the cleaner on too long (overnight), but thought it would be inactive once dry. Also, how long do you estimate it would take to finish the whole trailer. Thanks!
jpeacetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeacetree View Post
Hi, I’m considering de-anodizing my SS like you did yours. I have a ‘73 Continental Atlas. Just came across this thread, so might not get to you, but Would love to know if the oven cleaner left any kind of texture/pattern on your bare aluminum. I tried a bit on mine and it left an orange-peel look. I’m sure I left the cleaner on too long (overnight), but thought it would be inactive once dry. Also, how long do you estimate it would take to finish the whole trailer. Thanks!
I've been polishing my 1965 Avion Truck Camper, which was also anodized. It's a lot work! I didn't have anything that looked like orange peel, but I ended up with a lot of drip marks and runs from the oven cleaner that are hard to get out. On some of them I used 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and that helped. It will polish up, it just takes a lot of time! I had to replace some panels and the anodizing on others no longer looked uniform, which is why I decided to polish. I'm finding that the new aluminum panels are polishing better than the old, even though they have a mill finish. I'm wondering if the anodized aluminum also had a mill finish. Some parts of it seem to have a texture while others polish up more easily.

I haven't kept track of the amount of time, but it's been a lot more than I thought. Certainly enough to make me question whether it was a good idea to start! Part of the problem is that I can't put it inside, so I'm limited to working when the sun isn't on it. And then there was winter too. This spring we seemed to go from too cold to too hot too fast!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #48

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Thanks for the feedback
jpeacetree is offline   Reply With Quote