Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #81
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
Per Rikki: "The Testing Ground: 1964 Bambi II / 17 footer. Stripped and cleaned."

Yo Rikki!
I think you polished the wrong trailer, dude.
Sup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIKKI.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	11933  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Atta boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
Thanks for sharing your results Rikki! I'm almost sorry we're done compounding...not!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 05-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Nice work-

And I appreciate your honesty about not wanting the HM to win- the integrity of your test is upheld!

Questions- what color was the HM to start with?- I only see the wiped on piece where it started turning black immediately- a good sign.

Do you have a cost comparison for the 3 and source for the HM? I'm sure all 3 are rouge based, and if the HM works that well and is affordable, easily obtained, and readily available, sure would be easier than grounding and mixing rouge.

The fact that its wetter is possibly because of the ratio of mineral spirits(or other carrier fluid) to rouge powder. Experimenting with an added powder- possibly even flour- may assist in acheiving a more workable consistency for your taste.

Now maybe people understand why I'm waiting until I have more facts before I rush into my job- if the HM is priced more like the rest of the polishes available and not caviar, I'll probably use it- at this point. Something else shows up from these challenges, and I'll be looking at that.

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Polish is in

I have my polish in, my cotton diapers from Walmart, and the buffing pads ready to go. The Caravel gets the oxy cleaned and the polishing begins! I'll post pictures as I go.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 05-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Look at my first post that started this thread-

And you'll see that I was looking for something like Heavy Metal. You'll also see that in the first 2 pages of posts, I was bombarded with the same people as it seems always push nuvite and a cyclo, perfect polish, and finally got started.

All I did was ask for a fast easy way without spending a fortune- instead I got pounced upon. The heading at the top says Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums and not "if you haven't done it, keep it to yourself" and believe it or not, I feel that just because another member has found a better way, and I didn't do it yet- I still believe him, just as I believe the guys at the airport.

Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #86

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Another thing people may not realize is that the effects of different polishes may last longer than others. Some people found that polishing done with SS clouded up over the next few months. Polishing done with the Nuvite/Cyclo methods have lasted longer without clouding. The Perfect Polish guy explains that this has to do with how deeply the polish works, and moving the aluminum around on a microscopic level, while polishing with SS may only shine the surface and leave microscopic pits that will tarnish/corrode sooner..

Bottom line, you can test these things, but the final test is how long it really lasts before you have to do it again. The only people I know of who polished their trailers entirely with SS sold them shortly afterwards, so I don't know how they held up. I know many people who have acheived a mirror-like shine with the cyclo, and it has held up over time.

You can polish your own trailer any way you want, but there's a lot more to this polishing thing than just being cheap and fast.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Just looking at the pictures of the test I would say that was way too much Nuvite applied to that panel.You are just supposed to use a just fingerprint of polish.Try it.
What does that HM do to the Alclad? Remember the Alclad is only 7 mil thick.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #88
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Nuvite F9 is a compounding polish. S3 would have been more similar to the Ultra fine HM and might have produced the same result.
Southern shine is also a coarser polish. The 3 polishes tested are dissimilar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
what color was the HM to start with?- I only see the wiped on piece where it started turning black immediately- a good sign.
Ultra fine HM is blue in color, I think that's what you're seeing rather than black.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #89
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Correction

In looking closer at the photos on the link provided, I see that the HM that was used was red, which is the coarse polish.
Other than Walbernize, the only polish I have used is Southern Shine, and I know that it takes much more than 3 minutes to buff it to a brilliant shine.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
HM is FAST

I can't get over how fast the HM Red worked - it really isn't that course to the touch - it compounded with minimal work. The 3M stuff I'm using for comparison (granted, in med grit) "works" much longer, but (obviously) doesn't cut as deep (leaving a milky shine if not used with the HM first). I'd like to try 3M's hard grit, but as my system (HM Red followed by 3M medium) is working so far, I'm not sure if I'll be buying another bottle of 3M heavy grit this go around.

The only dissadvantage is the SHORT working time of the HM. It dries so quickly that you can only do a small section at a time (see my other post in "the winner")
Marc
Old 05-11-2005, 06:36 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Matchless and Aqua Buff polishes-

Has anyone here checked out Matchless Polishes?

I remember talking to Paul at Spec about a polish called Matchless- that he swore by and said it was commonly used by most of his clients on aircraft, was sent some samples- and saw some polish called Aqua Buff at a marine store. I opened the can at the store and it looks the same. I called the company and they did say that it was Matchless, private labeled, and sold under their name.

They have a turquoise polish- medium grit, and a white one- finer. The good thing about these are that the marine store was selling a 2 gallon bucket for about $100 and a gallon was $58, not including the discount that I get there- it was retail.

If a gallon was $58, it translates into $7 a pint- the same size nuvite costs $45- right?

If this product is being used by professional aircraft polishers- which are probably 99% of Specs business- I'd say to trust it. Matchless says they have Boeing and FAA approval on all their products.

I'm still trying to figure the pricing of that stuff- is there some secret ingredient that makes it work not as well as HM did in bambis dads test, but cost so much? Just doesn't make sense...

Its all made from $5 sticks of rouge- but for simplicities sake, now that the costs of alternatives are so low- HM, Matchless, SS, etc., I'll probably test and use a product from this list.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #92
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I know that it takes much more than 3 minutes to buff it to a brilliant shine.
Yes, I know it does take longer for any of these to really be where they need to be. I picked 3 minutes because I needed to draw the line somewhere.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Matcheless Metal Company: http://www.matchlessmetal.com

Aqua Buff: http://www.aqua-buff.com
Old 05-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!

I took my samples over to the airport and the guys really liked it! They put it on a plane with a paint brush- which cleaned up very easily- and buffed on it and then followed with the white fine polish- 2000- and it was perfect! I did not have my camera, so have no proof for the "you didn't do it yourself" guys. One worker at the place said he thought it looked just like nuvite- til we talked price.

That Aqua Buff- was in bigger buckets- gallons and 2 gallons, and they were cheap for me because I know a guy there who gives it to me for cost plus 10%- I was at $30 for a gallon of the 2000- 8 pints to a gallon, right? Less than $4 a pint- less than 10% the cost of nuvite! I guess thats not fair- most can't get a discount like that but the gallon was $58 retail, so about $7 a pint- still a LOT less and the pro's loved it!

One said he'd used HM before and said he liked it but that it was "runny" and said that made it hard to work with. Is that at least true with anyone who's actually used it? How was it applied during the test? Also, in the test was a new pad used for every product- I told these guys and one said the last product would be blended with the new one.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
>One said he'd used HM before and said he liked it but that it was "runny" and said that made it hard to work with. Is that at least true with anyone who's actually used it? How was it applied during the test? Also, in the test was a new pad used for every product- I told these guys and one said the last product would be blended with the new one.<

Yes. That IS the problem with HM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
"Its all made from $5 sticks of rouge- but for simplicities sake, now that the costs of alternatives are so low- HM, Matchless, SS, etc., "Travelcloud---
so everything is made from rouge huh? Why so obessed with knocking the other methods and materials? Is it a repressed memory of polishing from your youth?
Really it does seem this topic is being polished to death!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

I found the hm

SInce the hm is a liquid I had a hard time with it. When I did a small test area I was very happy BUT... When I started to go at it would fly everywhere. Ive been using a milwaukee variable speed buffer. I start out so slow it barely turns until it gets worked in then turn up to maybe 1000 rpm. But it still seems to go flying. and I dont think im using too much. I apply it directly to the pad and move it around before I turn it on. Also I seen to have a heck of a time getting the residue off. I still like the nuvite the best for ease of use. Also when finishing up with nuvite S, im having a hard time getting the residue off. Ive found that the rolite ap300 is easier to work off.
Just my opinion from using it.
On a brighter note im going camping finally next weekend and when I get back im putting the trailer in my warehouse. I need to take a month or 2 off of working on it.Been quite an adventure doing the interior and exterior at the same time. Also I had all my windows tinted with limo tint. Dark #5 except the terrible plastic one that needs to be replaces. Looks way cool.. I dont think the tint in finished in these pics. I will have to take some more. also wrong area on here but here is a pic of the drapes my wife picked out and had made
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SKYNYRDRULES 076.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	12126   Click image for larger version

Name:	SKYNYRDRULES 070.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	12127  

Name:	SKYNYRDRULES 075.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	12128  
Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #98
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Starman, I have to say, I love that entry door! Just beautiful. And the polish job ain't too shabby either!

Old 05-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Starman, I have to say, I love that entry door! Just beautiful. And the polish job ain't too shabby either!
thank you very much. That door is what my whole interior looks like besides the end caps and bathroom... did that alone with no help. another adventure. actually did everything alone with no help besides the tint, drapes and cushions. Dont have the cushions yet, drapes dont fit. but the tint is nice. hired subs for 3 things and only 1 work out great. The drape lady is going to make good on them.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The trailer really looks great.
You deserve a break!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Closed Thread