Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Make mine dull aluminum

I just replaced the side sheet on my 59 Tradewind with Alclad. Does anyone know a quick and tested way to dull the shine so that it matches the rest of my trailer? I'm currently testing hydrogen peroxide. I don't want something that will look to streaky, just a nice, dull, even finish. I don't want to use anything irreversible because I may decide someday to polish the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes Don, h'ain't it been great since 'bout Labor Day? Don't give away the 'Glory Season' to dem Southerners ('cept they should SURE come up now, cuz it's about to get nast-tee!!!)

[Sorry about trying to do a U.S. version of CannyBanjoMan...]

Walnut Shells (at this thread) would probably give you too much a ground glass look. Dunno about plastic beads. You'd need a venturi delivery of some sort. Google on 'walnut shell blasting.' Seems to give plenty of the alternatives....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Place it in the back yard under a tree, wait 45 years
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Is that your Garelick Steel 5052 aluminum?

I'll take a scrap of my 5052 to work Tuesday and shellblast it, then bring it home and set up a photo of reflections in original vs. blasted surface.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
AND MAC TOO

Not sure but when hubby gets his big truck (hauls gasoline) washed and he has his tanks acid washed always has to come home and polish up leaves a dull looking surface. Might be what you are looking for not sure. Will ask hubby when he gets home. If they leave the acid wash on too long it really gives a dull surface.
Thought this might help not sure.
Jalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I just replaced the side sheet on my 59 Tradewind with Alclad. Does anyone know a quick and tested way to dull the shine so that it matches the rest of my trailer? I'm currently testing hydrogen peroxide. I don't want something that will look to streaky, just a nice, dull, even finish. I don't want to use anything irreversible because I may decide someday to polish the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.
Jalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
PM me -- I'll mail you the piece after the photo. I really do think it goes a bit too far though. Wonder about buffing with something afterward....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Is that your Garelick Steel 5052 aluminum?

I'll take a scrap of my 5052 to work Tuesday and shellblast it, then bring it home and set up a photo of reflections in original vs. blasted surface.
No, I used the 5052 for the belly and ordered a sheet of 2024 Alclad for the side. I have a cheap sandblasting nozzle, let me know if the shells work. Appreciate it.

The hydrogen peroxide didn't do anything. Guess I could wait another 45 years. I would rather not use any acid.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You don't want to use acid, unless you plan to use the trailer indoors only.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Thanks for your help.
Don, this may be the excuse you've needed to polish your coach. All it takes is some polish, and elbow grease, and if you can park it indoors, it will give you something to do this winter.
Terry
Old 10-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
AND MAC TOO

Go by a truck wash and ask them about acid wash on the alum. Won't hurt to ask. Beats waiting 45 years.Jalina
Jalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
You don't want to use acid, unless you plan to use the trailer indoors only.

Ken
I think I might just make a whitewash with some PVA drywall primer, thinned copiously with water, and spray it on.

The aluminum sheet came with a plastic protective sheet that I left on until I had it mounted. The plastic was a pretty good match for dull aluminum, but I'm not sure it would have stayed on at highway speed.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You could take it to the seashore and leave it there for about 2 years - would save 44 years.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
You could take it to the seashore . . .
Ken
Yeah, And get a sunburn. I plan to stay away from any seashore. Except maybe Oregon and Washington.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #14
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Don, I've been polishing my trailer with a two part process. The first part is a Fouride based cleaner and the second part is a polish/wax. The cleaner dulls the finish, which might work for you. However I must warn you, if you try the polish you want to do the whole damn trailer !

Go to : metalwax.com

Happy trails, Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Paul,
Thanks. Think I might try that. Haven't heard of that one before.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
'Plowboy' Paul -- On their website I don't see any link to an MSDS for the Metal Cleaner. What more can you tell us about the fluoride product? Hydrofluoric acid can etch glass from what I recall. Try on a less visible sample first! Help me out here readers -- hasn't there been discussion from aircraft maintenance types with input from InlandRV where advice against using acids was offered?

Don -- It took me a while but here is my picture of a 3" x 7" piece of 0.032" 5052 aluminum cleaned with walnut shells. The 5052 didn't seem as soft as a piece of a lamp I cleaned some years ago. I went over the one half pretty well to avoid streaks like a bad spray paint job. Alarmingly the piece took a 1/8" warp on the blasted half, cupping away from the cleaned surface! It may be that the 'worked' side was burnished by the air-shell action. Particle size averages just under a millimeter and a lot of dust is generated in the process. Don't use near a garden or plantings you like (Google on 'juglone' to look at plant toxicity).

Looks like it's a day for 'Buyer Beware.' You better find some Argosy-tinted Imron for your unit!
Attached Images

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Work Safety

Worth an extra post: I seem to recall that hydrofluoric acid dulls nerve endings as it burns skin. Therefore you would not know the difference between sweat or leaks in a glove. Eye protection goes without saying. Work very clean and with good equipment!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 10-16-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Worth an extra post: I seem to recall that hydrofluoric acid dulls nerve endings as it burns skin. Therefore you would not know the difference between sweat or leaks in a glove. Eye protection goes without saying. Work very clean and with good equipment!
Bob,

Thanks for the report. Not sure I should risk the walnut shells on alclad, as it might not be reversible.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
-- hasn't there been discussion from aircraft maintenance types with input from InlandRV where advice against using acids was offered?
Yes. In all seriousness, you may be able to do something with bleach, but even that may be too caustic.
Why not try painting the offending panel in a color to match the rest of the trailer? Paint, unlike acid, will clean off relatively easily, if you don't like it, some thinner will make it "all better". A nice coat of matt, or flat clearcoat, might be just the thing.
Terry
Old 10-16-2004, 08:47 PM   #20
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Don, I bought Metalwax polisher and cleaner directly from the guy who sells it. I had him demonstrate it on my trailer and it worked. I have since cleaned and polished about 70% of my trailer and am satisified with the results. After trying the compounding method with all the time, money and mess that goes along with it I'll go with metal wax any day!

I've been using the cleaner diluted 50:50 with water and appling it by soaking a rag and wiping it on. I had to clean and polish the roof several times to achieve a clean shine.

If you have concerns about the cleaner you can call thier number, 408 848-1497, and ask them to explain the chemical properties.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote