Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Magnet18s 1983 310: The Polishing

So, the polishing of my motorhome has begun!

Earlier this week I got some citrastrip and started in in the door, and started pulling the stripe off with a heat gun.

Unfortunately, the stripe goes under the side rail, so I might need to pull those off, which is a bummer because that's a huge amount of work (as if there isn't enough of that ahead anyway)

I just ordered a DeWalt polisher, some rolite aluminum polish, and a pad spurr on Amazon! As well as a vented buffing wheel and adapter from caswell plating.

Should be enough to get me started.
The wife has the week off next week, and has volunteered to put a good amount of time into it.

Questions:
1. How are the windows tackled? Pull them all the way out? Not sure how to do that...

2. Once I start pulling things off, what rivets and gun do I need to put things back? I've got a basic poprivet set, but I don't think those will cut it.

3. Pad cleaner 2000 system, worth the money?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180725_191214.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	318163   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180725_184630.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	318164  

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Robert,

Here's the list of materials that I've purchased towards Peanut's polishing effort. This list includes items needed for stripping all the paint off as well.
  • Putty knives, chemical gloves, pail, scrub brushes
  • 10" scrub brush
  • DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher
  • Cyclo Dual-Head Variable-Speed Professional Polisher, 80-112 C-PG
  • PPG Aerospace PR-5044 Peroxide-Activated Stripper VTS-574
  • 3M 420 Dark Silver Lead Foil Tape, 1" width x 5yd length (2 rolls)
  • VTS-900F9M 1/2-Pound Grade F9 (2 each)
  • VTS-900CL 1-Pound Grade C
  • VTS-900SL 1-Pound Grade S
  • VTS-160 7.5" Polishing Pads [Quantity:6 Pads ($8.49 ea)]

A couple of items not on the above list are the various DA sanding paper grits that Ernie has purchased. He's not just buffing and polishing, he's also sanding to remove as many scratches as he can. Hence the DA sanding paper.

Windows are left as is. If you want the original black paint on the window frames you'll have to repaint when you're done polishing. Your basic pop rivet gun should work just fine. If you want to spend $50 to $75 you can buy a pneumatic riveter to make life easier

I can't say anything about the pad cleaner 2000 system. Ernie cleans the pads in his washing machine. Seems to work just fine.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

I can't say anything about the pad cleaner 2000 system. Ernie cleans the pads in his washing machine. Seems to work just fine.

Brad

Not sure who Ernie is, but he is a lucky guy if he has a Lady in the house....

I washed mine in a bucket, with TSP, and it was not pretty!
Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Robert,

Here's the list of materials that I've purchased towards Peanut's polishing effort. This list includes items needed for stripping all the paint off as well.
  • Putty knives, chemical gloves, pail, scrub brushes
  • 10" scrub brush
  • DEWALT DWP849X Variable Speed Polisher
  • Cyclo Dual-Head Variable-Speed Professional Polisher, 80-112 C-PG
  • PPG Aerospace PR-5044 Peroxide-Activated Stripper VTS-574
  • 3M 420 Dark Silver Lead Foil Tape, 1" width x 5yd length (2 rolls)
  • VTS-900F9M 1/2-Pound Grade F9 (2 each)
  • VTS-900CL 1-Pound Grade C
  • VTS-900SL 1-Pound Grade S
  • VTS-160 7.5" Polishing Pads [Quantity:6 Pads ($8.49 ea)]

A couple of items not on the above list are the various DA sanding paper grits that Ernie has purchased. He's not just buffing and polishing, he's also sanding to remove as many scratches as he can. Hence the DA sanding paper.

Windows are left as is. If you want the original black paint on the window frames you'll have to repaint when you're done polishing. Your basic pop rivet gun should work just fine. If you want to spend $50 to $75 you can buy a pneumatic riveter to make life easier

Brad
Thanks Brad. I don't think I need the nuclear stripper, citrastrip was getting the clear coat off.

My question with the windows was less about the outer frames and more about the inner frames. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to take them out. Maybe I should just go fiddle with them, could be that it's obvious.

I'll get a cyclo and the finer grades later, one step at a time.

Washing machine isn't gonna fly, I'm thinking paint sink in the garage, we'll see how it goes.

For the rivets, what will i find under the .25" rail? Should those be Olympic or pop?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Thanks Brad. I don't think I need the nuclear stripper, citrastrip was getting the clear coat off.

My question with the windows was less about the outer frames and more about the inner frames. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to take them out. Maybe I should just go fiddle with them, could be that it's obvious.

I'll get a cyclo and the finer grades later, one step at a time.

Washing machine isn't gonna fly, I'm thinking paint sink in the garage, we'll see how it goes.

For the rivets, what will i find under the .25" rail? Should those be Olympic or pop?
That particular stripper was chosen due to the amount of paint that needed to be removed.

In order to remove the sliding panes you need to remove the track seals at the same time. There's no way to just remove the window panes by themselves.

Under the plastic rail inserts you will find pop rivets. Once you remove the rub rails you fill find a long line of buck rivets. The rail covers a seam in the aluminum sheets. Pop rivets hold the rails in place.

The Cygow is only used for the final phase of polishing. At least that's how I understand how the process works! I don't polish, to much work

Brad
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Not sure who Ernie is, but he is a lucky guy if he has a Lady in the house....

I washed mine in a bucket, with TSP, and it was not pretty!
Ernie is a friend of mine that Martin hired to do various tasks on Peanut. Painting and polishing is something he has a lot of experience in.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
That particular stripper was chosen due to the amount of paint that needed to be removed.

In order to remove the sliding panes you need to remove the track seals at the same time. There's no way to just remove the window panes by themselves.

Under the plastic rail inserts you will find pop rivets. Once you remove the rub rails you fill find a long line of buck rivets. The rail covers a seam in the aluminum sheets. Pop rivets hold the rails in place.

The Cygow is only used for the final phase of polishing. At least that's how I understand how the process works! I don't polish, to much work

Brad
Track seals, those are the grey tracks?

I now think I can get the stripe out with my set of dental picks and the heat gun, and use the vented wheel to get the stripes themselves polished, hopefully, because I want them to stay there, and am afraid I'll bend them up if I pull them off

My understanding is the cyclo is just the very last step for a mirror finish. We'll see if I care enough to do that when I get to that point. I'm going for a 25footer where I'm not afraid of rain spots and fingerprints.
I've had perfect mirror finish on cars before, the stress isn't worth it, you get too scared to drive it!
Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Track seals, those are the grey tracks?
I was thinking more of the schlegle track that the glass slides in.

Quote:
I now think I can get the stripe out with my set of dental picks and the heat gun, and use the vented wheel to get the stripes themselves polished, hopefully, because I want them to stay there, and am afraid I'll bend them up if I pull them off.
The odds of removing the gray trim pieces and then putting them back in place is pretty much slim to none. I'm not going to bother installing them on my Argosy.

Quote:
My understanding is the cyclo is just the very last step for a mirror finish. We'll see if I care enough to do that when I get to that point. I'm going for a 25footer where I'm not afraid of rain spots and fingerprints.
I've had perfect mirror finish on cars before, the stress isn't worth it, you get too scared to drive it!
Perfect finishes are a whole different level of maintenance. I have zero desire to deal with that sort of effort!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
It begins!
Started using the buffing wheel on the edges, started seeing shine pretty quick!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180812_190954.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	319749  
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Wool pads showed up today so I messed around for half an hour

The rolite polish seems to be working well, but it's citrus scented, and quickly drew a SWARM of sweat bees
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180817_130515.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	320121  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
STstudios

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wixom , Michigan
Good luck! 310 is a lot to polish! I polished my 345 which took about 9 months (2-3 hours a day and as long as my arms would hold out on the weekends). This included stripping clear coat, middle sticker and the black paint around can and lower panels!

If you go to my FB page: search for
Dali - 1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome

Scroll through photos youíll see pics of the stripping & polishing. Have fun and try to stay clean - itís a dirty job!
STstudios is offline   Reply With Quote