Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
How do you wash an Airstream??

This summer we bit the bullet and polished our AS. Started with the big machine and the Nuvite F9 & F7. Broke out the small polisher and a large container of "C". The results were very good. The surface is not a "mirror" finish yet but it is enough to reflect the sun and melt the door mat and any plastic material left next to the AS.

I now have a random orbital polisher and another container of "S". It has been a month since we completed the mid stage polishing with the "C" so a small amount of dust has accumulated on the surface of the AS. I tried the hose but it did not remove all of the dust. I got a big sponge from the tile section of Home Depot. With a lot of water and a minimum amount of pressure on the sponge, I gently washed an area of about 2 sq yards. I then took a new clean towel and dried the test area.

What I saw was hundreds of new scratches on the surface where I used the towel. Fortunately they are not deep scratches but the orbital and Nuvite "S" will probably not remove them. I know aluminum is soft but.....??? Hope that the buffer and "C" will get rid of the scratches.

Any tips on how to remove the dust on the surface of an AS without leaving new scratches?

We are full timing and stay at various RV parks in the western US. For the most part, the water in the West is hard. Are there any products I can put into the water bucket to keep the calcium et al from leaving marks on the newly polished aluminum?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I believe you will want to only use microfiber towels, and remove any tags they might come with.

Other than that, there is a cost associated with polished trailers.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

E&B,

Mitt on a pole.....

And a good wash soap....

I use the sealer... for protection and the spray wax for touch-up's.

Waterless wash spray for on the road cleaning......minor dust/dirt.

Microfiber cloth only!!!

You won't go rong with any of their products...outstanding CS also.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I use the meguires auto wash soap with a microfiber washrag and a "fluffy" wash sponge. Make sure the AS is rinsed down good before and stays wet while washing.
I dry off with a chamois...it seems to be the softest and doesnt scratch.

Another trick....wash it at dusk/night, that way the sun doesnt dry up all the soapy water while you are washing and leave spots.
After drying i use a leaf blower to blow out the tires/wheels and all the misc areas that seem to drip after I dry...keeps the streaks from spotting later.
What kind of RO buffer are you using for the S? I use a cyclo for this step and is does a fantastic job. The other RO polishers i tried didnt even come close. I do a touch up pass with the S about 2 times a year. My rig lives outside near the ocean....
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote