Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Rivet How do I get the last bit of paint off?

What can I do to remove this paint stripper resistant paint from the skin? This trailer was painted by the original owner when it was new and the skin is very strait, it has been stripped to this point, now what? more pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/richtrich also it is 21' long and by the serial number 2111 I am wondering if it is the 11th one built or the first one built, any idea? also those windows front and rear fit really well and while they shouldnt be there they appear to be factory additions, anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-001f.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-002f.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	6264  

Name:	Mvc-003f.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-004f.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	6266  

Name:	Mvc-005f.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6267  
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
What have you already tried?

Kleen Strip Aircraft Stripper takes off just about everything!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You have quite a job~

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt
What can I do to remove this paint stripper resistant paint from the skin? This trailer was painted by the original owner when it was new and the skin is very strait, it has been stripped to this point, now what? more pictures at http://photos.yahoo.com/richtrich also it is 21' long and by the serial number 2111 I am wondering if it is the 11th one built or the first one built, any idea? also those windows front and rear fit really well and while they shouldnt be there they appear to be factory additions, anyone know?
richardt,
You have quite a task on hand~! But, you know this by now
What you have uncovered looks to be what was once used many years ago in the aircraft field~ Tinted yellow or green Zinc Chromate, is my guess from looking at your photos. If so, this is very good stuff! (But, not for you at this time.) This used to be used quite a bit in aircraft applications (aluminum) due to its corrosion inhibiting properties, but since it was considered hazardous, water based coatings are now used.You may find that a very aggressive application of acetone or xylene will be needed to try and remove the remaining traces.

Here's a sites that may be of some help.
For thinners, etc.
http://www.randolphproducts.com/aeronautics2.htm
You may want to also consult with a professional aircraft maintances shop for additional help.
btw, I grew up in Southern Pines, NC. Are you anywhere near?
I wish you all the best in your process.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote