Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Forecast Hazey, With A Chance Of Fog

Does anyone know of a cure for FOG (!@#$%^&*() or haziness after polishing and cleaning?

I have performed the first and second cuts. I have cleaned with laquer thinner. I use clean towels. I have been using Nuvite products.

Things start looking really swell....then POOF after cleaning and polishing with S, the fog rolls in. I have mastered the swirls, but the haziness is driving me nuts. I have tried Blue magic. I have tried Marvels. I have tried Never dull. I gave Met All a try.

Any suggestions??????

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermoon
Does anyone know of a cure for FOG (!@#$%^&*() or haziness after polishing and cleaning?

I have performed the first and second cuts. I have cleaned with laquer thinner. I use clean towels. I have been using Nuvite products.

Things start looking really swell....then POOF after cleaning and polishing with S, the fog rolls in. I have mastered the swirls, but the haziness is driving me nuts. I have tried Blue magic. I have tried Marvels. I have tried Never dull. I gave Met All a try.

Any suggestions??????
Try mineral spirits instead of laquer thinner on a small area. If the fog does not show up at that spot, try a bigger spot, if it still doesn't show up, discontinue the laquer thinner, and use mineral spirits.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Is it possible you haven't cut all the way through the oxidation with two cuts? I know we had to make 5-7 passes to cut through the oxidation when we first polished. It looks polished until you get all the goo off!

Just a thought...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Polising suggestion

I'm in the process of poilishing my '65 Tradewind and am also using the Nuvite products. After polishing with the "S" grade, I take my Porter-Cable pad sander (without sandpaper!!!) and put a clean T-shirt cloth against the aluminum and the sander against the cloth. Move lengthwise of the trailer (or with the grain of the panel). You'll need to apply a little pressure, but this will remove nearly all of the residue and most of the swirl marks in the process. I've looked at my trailer in the sun and have been reasonably pleased with the results. This trailer was very oxidized, but no real damage to the aluminum so I'm using only the "C" and "S" grades. I also plan to polish again within a year the touch up the spots I think are not the best. The worst part of the whole job is keeping the work area clean! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote