Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Flitz Ceramic Sealant

Those who have stripped and polished their vintage Airstreams know the polished surface degrades rather quickly with rain, birds, bugs, leaves, and residual deicers on wet highways. I've been looking for some corrosion protection to reduce my "maintenance polish" efforts.

I have tried automotive polymer waxes and I tried Sharkhide. The problem is these products leave a "haze" on the polished aluminum surface. So I decided if the product I select can be applied to a mirror without hazing it, then it would be worth a try on my polished vintage Airstream. YouTube videos show people applying it to their windshields. That convinced me it is worth a try.

My bet "nano particle" ceramic coatings have been improved over the years. Well I found this Flitz Ceramic Sealant in a spray bottle. Flitz international is a USA company that formulates all kinds of polishes and sealants. I purchased a bottle and have applied it to my wife's 86 Limited 34'. I messed up at first by applying too much product, and it did leave some "greasy" hazing. I contacted Flitz and they straightened me out. Instead of spraying the product on the trailer, spray one shot on my microfiber rag and apply the product that way. That process greatly reduced the minor hazing I was getting. Less is more here. And they told me to try wiping off the hazing with a damp rag, and that worked well also.

The Flitz Ceramic Sealant leaves the polished aluminum very "slick" so water will likely sheet off. The protection is expected to be about a year. But it so easy to apply I am happy to do it every spring.

That's my story, and I'll report back on how well it works after towing the trailer in a rainstorm.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 Flitz Ceramic Seal-800x600.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	432983  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Interesting David, you are always thinking. I've used Flitz products for years but was not aware of this one. Any info on other application recommendations, in particular sunshine? My current product is Eagle-One All-surface nanowax, two reasons:no dry time or hazing and it can be applied in direct sunlight. Seems to be doing well after 2 years. Will be interested to hear updates.
Best regards, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings mrdes8: My thinking usually gets me in trouble, big trouble. There is no "don't apply in direct sunlight" written on the bottle. But I don't know for sure. They do say wait two days before applying a second coat, which I plan on doing. They do say the temp should be between 40 and 80 degrees F for best results.

We shall see if the product works as advertised.

David
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 06-14-2024, 02:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
How satisfied are you guys a year later?
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, it seems to guard against corrosion pretty well. I have it on my tow vehicle and it has lasted very well. I did apply it to my polished Airstreams and it certainly easier to apply. I wanted to remove the Flitz before I did my "maintenance polish" and found it kinda hard to remove with lacquer thinner. There are several "spray on" ceramic sealants in the auto stores now and they may be about the same thing. I will be using it again this summer. Elbow grease is pretty cheap.

David