Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Five years and i finally like my cyclo!

When I polished my 67 five years ago, I enjoyed the compounding (more or less), but I HATED using the Cyclo. Consequently, it's been sitting in the barn ever since.

I started polishing my new trailer (the 53) two months ago, and again tried using the Cyclo. I still hated it, and decided that I would put it on ebay!! After seeing Vic's polishing demo at the Vintage Trailer Jam this summer in Saratoga, I decided to try again.....still hated it!!!

Well, there must be other people out there with small hands and possibly not as much hand strength as others (I happen to have arthritis in my hands as well)........The problem for me had always been in using the 100% cotton sweatshirt fabric that many people recommend, it was just too much of a bundle to handle....if I made the pieces smaller, so the bundle was smaller, they would fall off..........and the vibration was just killing me!!!

Two days ago I bought ten yards of 100% cotton flannel. I tore it into 32x44" pieces, then washed and dryed them. I put the yellow foam caps on the cyclo, then tied my flannel on. It is much easier to tie than the heavier material, and you can go under the handle with it, which makes a huge difference for a small-handed grip.

I'm actually having fun!!! I've finished half of the top third of the trailer, just yesterday and today and I can finally look forward to finishing it during the next week.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktrailer View Post
When I polished my 67 five years ago, I enjoyed the compounding (more or less), but I HATED using the Cyclo. Consequently, it's been sitting in the barn ever since.

I started polishing my new trailer (the 53) two months ago, and again tried using the Cyclo. I still hated it, and decided that I would put it on ebay!! After seeing Vic's polishing demo at the Vintage Trailer Jam this summer in Saratoga, I decided to try again.....still hated it!!!

Well, there must be other people out there with small hands and possibly not as much hand strength as others (I happen to have arthritis in my hands as well)........The problem for me had always been in using the 100% cotton sweatshirt fabric that many people recommend, it was just too much of a bundle to handle....if I made the pieces smaller, so the bundle was smaller, they would fall off..........and the vibration was just killing me!!!

Two days ago I bought ten yards of 100% cotton flannel. I tore it into 32x44" pieces, then washed and dryed them. I put the yellow foam caps on the cyclo, then tied my flannel on. It is much easier to tie than the heavier material, and you can go under the handle with it, which makes a huge difference for a small-handed grip.

I'm actually having fun!!! I've finished half of the top third of the trailer, just yesterday and today and I can finally look forward to finishing it during the next week.
OH, THANK YOU. Another frustrated Cyclo owner like me. I thought it was just ME! I have endured the same physical obstacles as you. I have not given up. At least I got much of the swirls from compounding out but trying now to eliminate the 'tracks' the compounding left and get the ultimate mirror finish. "Why?" I keep asking myself! 'Cause it's there?
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I'm actually having fun!!!
Why not fly to Arizona this winter and have some fun with my cyclo and trailer!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
OH, THANK YOU. Another frustrated Cyclo owner like me. I thought it was just ME! I have endured the same physical obstacles as you. I have not given up. At least I got much of the swirls from compounding out but trying now to eliminate the 'tracks' the compounding left and get the ultimate mirror finish. "Why?" I keep asking myself! 'Cause it's there?
Neil
Neil---I knew I couldn't be the only one!! The biggest help to me this time around has been cleaning with mineral spirits between each step with the compounder. It has cut down immensely on the black tracks, and made the next step much easier. Gail
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
I am getting ready for the cyclo step this week. If I just use the cotton bonnets does it still leave intense swirl marks?
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingbubel View Post
I am getting ready for the cyclo step this week. If I just use the cotton bonnets does it still leave intense swirl marks?
I just tryed the Cyclo, the poly fiber fabric from Perfect Polish and A Grade Nuvite to remove water spots and drip lines from recently polished (S) but not waxed metal.

Talk about intense swirl....I though it would save time. (A) grade should work well to remove water spots with a compounder. Then I will go the normal route and use S and the Cyclo.

By the way, how hard would it be to design this tool with the cord leaving the machine out of the back so it could lay over the shoulder and not hitting to metal?

I doubt the people that make these have ever spent time on a ladder leaning over a project.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Why not fly to Arizona this winter and have some fun with my cyclo and trailer!

Richard--Flying to Arizona in the winter sounds great to me!! I'm not sure, though, that it would be as much fun with someone else's trailer. What we should do, is visit others for "weekend polishing parties"!! If you had about 5 or 6 people going at it with their cyclos.....the beer flowing from a keg.....the sun shining.....maybe it could be fun. HaHa....you'd have to have lots of lava soap and water for clean-up, and we wouldn't be able to chat cuz we'd all have our ear muffs on and our cyclos would be so loud.....Arizona sounds great, though. Sometimes it's awfully unpleasant during the winter here in Vermont. Gail
Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Neil---I knew I couldn't be the only one!! The biggest help to me this time around has been cleaning with mineral spirits between each step with the compounder. It has cut down immensely on the black tracks, and made the next step much easier. Gail
Thanks, I suspected that not enough cleaning may be part of my problem. I do wipe down with mineral spirts but perhaps not enough. I have a new street side that I haven't touched yet. Perhaps since it is 'virgin' Alclad aluminum I can 'practice on it before going back to the remainder of the coach. Now what I need is cooler weather and a break between rallies!
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
By the way, how hard would it be to design this tool with the cord leaving the machine out of the back so it could lay over the shoulder and not hitting to metal?
You could make a "monkey tail" for the cord. It a cover for the cord made out of fleece that protects the trailer. I got the idea from Shari (insideout).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	87042  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You could make a "monkey tail" for the cord. It a cover for the cord made out of fleece that protects the trailer. I got the idea from Shari (insideout).

Darn!!! I thought I might be the first with that idea!! I'm trying to work out a hook to hold the blooming cord over my shoulder too.

Gary--I tried the same process last summer on my '67, and I just made a mess of it. I think I'll try it the way you are going to do it. What do you think of those polyfiber towels?

Gail
Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post

I doubt the people that make these have ever spent time on a ladder leaning over a project.
It is out there. Cyclo makes a clip that attaches to your waist that you put the cord through. Although various clips will do the same thing the Cyclo clip has a logo.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
It is out there. Cyclo makes a clip that attaches to your waist that you put the cord through. Although various clips will do the same thing the Cyclo clip has a logo.
Thanks for the info. Maybe because of my height I need the cord over my shoulder, though I'm sure that the waist would be better than nothing. Also, I really don't need a clip with the "cyclo" logo on it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Instead of buying those kits from cyclo...we found they have two hard rubber hook and loop caps that flip around each head and are slightly loose...then we purchase those white cotton polishing pads from any dollar store (dollar General) 1.00 for two pack...then to stick the pads to the rubber attachments and your good to go...cyclo polishing is never easy and we do sections at a time so we don't pass out. Those hard rubber adapter covers are 20.00 for the set, and cyclo sells em. Good luck! If you get these 'rubber heads' you must be made aware of how they are built. The hook and loop part is slightly separated in its design (you will see) and we super glued ours down. If you don't, the massive 'quaking and shaking' motion of the cyclo will tear them up! But other wise they are the economical way out.