Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2003, 05:18 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Rivet Yet another

If ever there was...
Any doubt about using wax..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-326s.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	3244  
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 05:20 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Okay, okay...

Just one more..

This shows the panel with all the wax polished off..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mvc-321s.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	3245  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Well, after watching this thread for a while, I decided that it was time for me to start the polishing process on my trailer.
I have had a really hard time finding the recommended supplies and ended up with a 5 inch pad fitted to a drill.
For stripping the clearcoat, I tried Citristrip and was not very impressed with its performance. It took a long time to work and then needed a second application to get rid of all traces of the clearcoat. I then used No. 7 rubbing compound on the panel and after a couple of hours ended up with a reasonable looking finish for the first stage. This was followed by an application of Mothers polish (that's all that I had) but it still left some swirl marks and obviously needed more work.
I decided to try the Klean-Strip liquid aircraft remover for getting rid of the clearcoat and set off to AutoZone to pick some up. While I was there I saw that they had a Vector Waxxpro 7" Sander/Polisher for $49.99, so I thought what the heck and bought it - couldn't be any worse than the drill and the 5" pad!
The Klean-Strip gets the clearcoat off so easily - apply to a panel and then scrape off within a few minutes, clean up any remaining spots with another application, wash off with soapy water and you're done!
When the panel had dried off, I fitted the new bonnet to the polisher, applied a small dab of the No.7 Rubbing compound and hit the lower panel. After initially turning black, the shine begins to appear really quickly on the area being worked and leaves no swirl marks - I was impressed! I had the polisher on the slowest speed and was getting great results compared to my previous attempts. It sure gives you a workout though as this is a powerful machine and takes a lot of effort to control it.
The whole lower panel took about 25 minutes to get an impressive looking shine - not a finished, deep shine like you other guys are getting, but enough to get me excited and motivated to carry on. Following pictures show the before and after of the 2 panels done so far. Today, I stripped 3 more panels so that I can have at it in the morning with the polisher!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before1.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3247  
gvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 05:56 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Here's the first panel that took a long time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first_panel.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	3248  
Old 09-25-2003, 05:58 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Here's a picture of the lower panel after using the Polisher and only the No.7 Rubbing Compound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	3249  
Old 09-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
hit a snag

Welcome gvanman looks like you are on your way If you have any Southern Shine the next step will knock your socks off.

I hit a snag today, went back for a second go and could not get the panel to the left of the door to shine. no amount of compounding would work. Dawned on me there is still some clear coat even though I stripped it twice. I Will have to hit it again in the AM with stripper I would be half way there if I didn't have this set back. Have other chores backing up that will have to get done soon.
By the way my back problem is not the "normal" problem. Remembered I took a fall a few days ago and landed square on my butt, hurt like heck and the numbness must have something to do with that. Just a problem climbing up & down the scafold.

gvanman keep us posted and keep up the good work. You must be up to 6-8 or more points already

53 Flying Cloud I used the carnabola wax today and didn't care for it. Took twice as much effort to get it off, reduced the shine more than the Turtle Wax. The TWax did not leave water spots so I think I will stick with it. Don't know the long term difference for lasting shine !!
Just gonna have to get the camara !!!

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #147
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Cool.. Join the Polish club!

gvanman, good for you. Glad your getting started. This job has a very high satisfaction factor

Garry... I need all the points I can get!

53- Looking good as usual. You make it seem to easy. Make people like gvanman jump in with both feet

Here is my latest progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as5.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	3251  
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:34 PM   #148
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs down Now that bad news

I keep getting this serious white speckle problem. I am pretty sure from my research that it is pitting in the finish.

I have tried hitting it HARD with G6, F7, C and just cannot get rid of it with any reasonable effort. When completely cycloed you cannot really see it from a few feet away, but up close examination it's there plain as day.

So, If I cannot find an answer to this pretty soon, I will have to put up a fence around the trailer and not let anyone within 5 feet

Here is a close up of the speckles but they didn't really come out. Next is a close up of the rear panel w/o speckles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bad.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	3252  
Old 09-25-2003, 07:37 PM   #149
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Good panel

Close up....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	good.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	3253  
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 AM   #150
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Welcome aboard~!!

gvanman
Welcome to the thread~!
This is the spot to vent your frustrations, compliants, ask for help or, share the "Eurka" of your process that might a difference.
You're looking good~! Was it Safari Tim who said? "Once you start, there's no turning back"~
Garry, I understand what you're saying about the wax..As you know there no absolute correct , it just depends on what works for you..I will agree that it's hard to take off. I found this process works best by hand..(removing the wax). At first I figured why not use the machine but..It just seems so much easier to wipe it by hand..
After working flat out all day yesterdaythis morning is proving to be one of those bummers...Today, I woke to the sound of hard rain drops pounding on the roof.(at 420am..and, it still continues)
Late yesterday afternoon, as I was winding down the day's work. My neighbor in the next campsite came over to talk about the work..Lol, he said that he wanted to come over earlier but, he could see that, I was a man possessed~! Well, maybe this polishing does make you involved but...Possessed?? lmao..What would you say?
I gotta tell you one thing..My arms are beginning to get use to the workout and, the weight of all these tools..lol
Standing on the ground reaching overhead with the Cyclo is beginning to be a breezes..I had the ladder set up but, didn't feel to comfortable with it..(fear of it tipping over against my work!~!)
First report for the morning showed that the newly waxed surface is holding up as well as the other ones.
I've been advised by several fellow-campers that, I'll be nedding a special permit to drive this unit own the hiway...lol
Tim, If I may suggest? Give Ron Black a call..he might have a solution for your problem with the white specks. BTW,your pictures are looking better and better...KEWL~!~
Again, it nice to read each and every progress report..
Keep it up~!~
stay safe..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-26-2003, 09:14 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Definitions ; Back to basic

These can be founded on this website:
1.industrialtools
Makes for some interesting reading..
Look what it says about, "Jewelers Rouge Bar Compounds"
2.formax
Then go to "White Rouge" J-51..
Might be the ans to your problem "Safari Tim"...

ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #152
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Got about 3 more hours in on the polishing today.
I didn't feel comfortable working on a ladder to do the top of the trailer so I pulled my pickup truck alongside and this worked out to be the perfect height and a whole lot safer than the ladder.
I just had to be careful not to drop any of the Klean-strip on to the truck! Right now I am feeling 'comfortably numb' as Pink Floyd would say! My arms are just about asleep from using the polisher, but it's a satisfying feeling - same kind of relaxed feeling that I used to get after weight lifting.
53flying cloud - the rouge might just put the ultimate shine on the trailer! I have used that and the green chromium oxide for polishing the edge of my woodworking tools to a mirror finish so aluminum should be a piece of cake!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rd day2.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	3257  
Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #153
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Another view!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rd day3.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	3258  
Old 09-26-2003, 01:57 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Man...you're on a ROLL..

Glad to know it might be of some help..
The tip came from the 'Polishing Guru".
Funny thing was..he doesn't put anything on the finish shine..Which is okay, his reasons are valid. For myself, I don't mind the slight differences, if it helps preserve the finish work..
I realize what he mean about products made with petrolum in it.
I just felt 100% pure Carnauba should work..Time will tell and, if I'm wrong..well, I still have my Cyclo...lol
keep up the excellent work..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 09-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
white specs

Tim I have seen the same thing. Thought it was clear coat ?? Don't really know but hand sanding with 1200 got rid of it. Of course you have to recompound to get the scratches out. The black stuff I'm using with the course pad makes the scratches go away but before the sanding would not make the flakes go away. If what I saw is the same thing you can only see it looking head on. Problem is I thought I was thru with that panel and had to start over. I can't aford to do that very often only have 3/4 of bottle of the SS left and I have tried 3 other types of polish and nothing else comes close to SS.
The area I restripped this morning came out real good. That was the third stripping on that pannel and I have another one just like it I will have to restrip. I am now one half (1/2) way thru

Looked at a Cannon ZR50mx today. camcorder with an sd card for taking photo's. Now looking for the best price. one on e-bay but used. Googel found a site showing $414 new, best buy at $545 and at wally world it's $799.
My arms, legs, back, knees , elbows and eye lids are not getting used to the hard work required. Have to start by 7AM and be thru by 10:00 to 10:30 to advoid the sun (and heat) on one side. The other side is in the shade all the time.

Garry
Old 09-26-2003, 08:36 PM   #156
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs down Very disapointing day today

This white speck thing is really getting me down.

I take the compounder to a new area with G6, F7, or C it does not matter. After going over it the white specs appear.

Tonights area has the most I've seen. I went over one area 4 times up/down left/right, did not help.

So I decided to strip it. No difference.

I was told its not pitting because that looks black because of the polish residue. I know it's not clearcoat because I tried stripping it and I cannot feel it.

It is some ugly corrossion. Some have said to try F7 because G6 breaks down too fast. Others say G6. Tried all...

Seems nothing works. I may have to try the sandpaper. I was really looking forward to getting one side done, but I cannot keep going until I find a sure fire way to beat the specks

Already I would have to just about do the all the lower half of the side again if I can figure it out.

24 hours.....

Argh....
Old 09-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

Go with the sandpaper, you will not do any damage. Start with 1200, then compound it to see what it looks like. You might need to go a little more course. When sanding an area within a section, make sure your stokes with the sandpaper are consistent. You don't want to make a pass or two wider than the area that you are working on, or you will have scraches showing. If you are sanding an entire section then you don't need to worry about it. Hope that makes sense.

It's still 100+ here in the afternoons and I'm busy in the mornings. Hopefully I will get going soon and join your support group. Looking great!
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:25 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Time out

Tim my worst area was the front lower panels (on both sides of propane tanks) where road stuff could hit while being towed but also have it in other places. In some cases I have had to just move on or I will run out of time. I know I will have some touch up to do down the road.
Just finished repairing the AC. Compressor fan wouldn't run another fourm member in WA sent me the start capactor from his old one from a swap out.
No time for fun today. Have to do guy stuff. Hope I don't have to spend hrs getting the tractor started.

Don't get to discouraged, what you have done looks great after all we are doing this for just for the fun aren't we

Garry
Old 09-27-2003, 08:53 AM   #159
3 Rivet Member

The front of mine was bad too. A lot of little pits. I sanded a small area it compounded it out. It worked well. What I should do but I don't know if I had the guts to so is, 1200 sand the whole trailer. I have those white specks on most of the trailer. That would be a tough pill to swallow since I have already compounded the whole thing 1 time.

I'm a Farmer. Garry, where are you headed with the tractor?
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:48 AM   #160
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Grrrr, will it ever?

This hasn't been a good weekend`
Seems like everytime I turn around, it rains or drizzle just enough to...
I feel the different setbacks will turn around for all of us..
Thanks to each one for, sharing what you've discovered works..
The "wx" for Mon thru Wen, looks very promising~!~
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit