Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #401
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Axles

Hmmm..... I would sugest you look at some of the threads on axles before you make that decision. There are lots of good info on how to verify bad axles and resolving same.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:28 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
caravan

Peter, I'm ok with you calling your caravan anything you want, after all, it's your baby.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #403
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Right mate

Tin Hut
He can call "his" (if he had one) anything he wants..but, I still stand by my request..

An American icon called "Airstream"..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:36 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
ciao

Glad we agree.:

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #405
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Check this~

Okay...
Here's the results so far..
I made a quick trip down to Va Beach over the weekend and, the waxed job on my Airstream is still holding up~!! I was able to just lightly buff the water marks off..I'll wait till Spring, for the final results.

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 PM   #406
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Gary for your concern about the axles. I will definatly get informed before I do something stupid Mac

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:35 AM   #407
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Caravan vs. Trailer

Sorry to offend you.

The entire world calls "trailers" - caravans, except your country. A trailer everywhere else is for utility hauling for most cases.

Its arguable where the first camping trailers or caravans started, just as the Germans invented the first auto (Daimler) and also the first jet aircraft, we often think of the most as being the first- but neither Airstream or America were decidedly the first in either category, nor has A/S been unanimously been decided as the best.

Does the food company "Beatrice" strike a bell?

I've been searching for several caravans, in the states, but was sidetracked due to confusion about professional restorations- Birchwood scam, etc. I've researched it thoroughly- maybe too much.

Wally Byam was not much more than a salesman at Bowlus Teller Trailer mfg. and Hawley Bowlus was obviously responsible for the Airstreams beginnings.

If you ever look at a 1946 Spartan Manor- observe the workmanship- especially the floor- which is basically indestructable- even from rot. Spartan was an aircraft company that switched over to trailers after the war. Several have undergone $100,000 restorations and are considered to be the best quality by many collectors.

The Auburn Trailer Collection had a trailer built by REAL aircraft workers called an Aeroflite, which even had an aluminum floor, and an aluminum frame- no rust or rot problems that Airstreams suffer from.

I really appreciate the older Airstreams- older the better- but be honest- do you think a 1970's Beatrice Foods model rivals a mid fifties with all the wood interior pieces? And why do we see so many construction problems with the frames sagging and Vista views leaking and Corning thermals full of water and fungus if they were really built with a longevity concept. Even the clear coat is admittedly a horror to those trying to restore to a nice finish- if it lasted, would it bother you as much as a slightly dulled bare aluminum?

The US is very fortunate to have so much cheap fuel that those giant Prevost buses can roam the highways- most countries have much smaller caravans- see what else is around, and what their markets are- Sweden and Germany have SMV's and Eriba's which are very small and efficient little "trailers" to camp in, and the SMV has a design and construction level that will make you wonder- why don't we have that? And, its all riveted aluminum.

American icons- like Harley Davidson and the Pontiac GTO, and Chris Craft wooden runabouts, are ruined as the future icons- you can't compare that garbage 2004 GTO, with a 1967 with a 389 triple deuce, or a 24267 Judge Ram Air3 convertible from 1969. You can't honestly think that the Twin Cam 88 or V-Rod that Harley is building will ever be as collectible as a 1965 Panhead, or a 1941 Knucklehead. And US built boats today?- please. OMC and Bayliner have bought all the companies up like Donzi and trashed the design into family boating packages- and your lovely attorneys have made it next to impossible to buy decent race boats off the floor- cigarettes and Magnums are now more like luxury craft than speed boats.

If you think that an American icon is a trailer, and don't want me to call it as it is in all other places- so be it. I live a free life in a free country, and enjoy true free speech. Please respect that.

I personally think the aura of the Airstream is gone after the clear coat came in- maybe a couple years later- and that damages the whole icon idea.

To each his own- at least if you live in a free country. Cheers. Peter.
austreampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:34 AM   #408
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You know..

Pete
You obviously have used the internet well but, I still stand by my original request.
An Airstream is still called an Airstream, not a caravan.
While a group of Airstreams might be in a "caravan", that does not make it an "caravan".
The rest of your points are not germane to the original request.
Personaly, I wish you well in your search.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #409
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Funny!

I think that your Airstream is a trailer, and that others call trailers, "caravans" and that while all trailers are not created equal, you have a very desirable model of trailer, and depending on where you speak about it, folks will either refer to it as a caravan or trailer as what it is, and the brand name is obviously an Airstream.

Thanks for wishing me luck. It would be nice to have some luck in locating a nice caravan that didn't need too much restoring, due to the backlog of restorations at the better shops.

Cheers! Peter.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 PM   #410
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Re: Tires & rims & axles

Quote:
Originally posted by garry
There is also some question on your axles, from looking at the picture I suspect thay may be bad. There is a way to check them on the Inland RV web site.
Common problem on older trailers.
Before you lose too much sleep over the axles you need to confirm that they are the dura torque style. In the 60's there were a few different types of axles used until 69 when all the axles went to the dura torque style.

Having just redone a MH that was filthy on the inside, all I can say is get a Sams club membership and buy your cleaning products by the cube and gallon!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #411
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Back to the caravan thing...

My girlfriend who spent her entire life living in England until a year ago, said that in Europe RV's are always called caravans. Trailer, motorhomes, you name it. They call them caravans.

Potato? Potahtoe?

It's all good!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #412
2 Rivet Member

I checked it already and it is definatly the rubber inserted type torque axle. But that problem is 7 or8 monthes downthe road. the cleaning I'm doing now. I have a friend that sells industial cleaners. Barco by name and allthough he does not give me a big discount at least I can trust him to sell me the best stuff for the job. So far the cleaner he sold me is doing a good job but still takes some serious elbow grease. It would be so nice to have some you just spray on and valcum up the residue from the floor and have it all white and nice again. I dont even know what color it was when it was new. its smoked up inside all the closets to. Thank you . Mac

Eschew Obfuscation
Old 11-20-2003, 04:43 PM   #413
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Polishing

Guess we are getting a little off subject.

Plata acmpador= spanish verision of Airstream... hehehe

53 you decided to come up with an overview of the process ???

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #414
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Lmao

garry
Quote:
53 you decided to come up with an overview of the process ???
Yep..back to the polishing of "Airstream" by the real guru..
For those who will have done their own work.
Progress to date:
Published a copy of this entire thread.
Next is, to set up an outline~
Different conditions encountered.
break it down by the efforts used.
to list but just a few things for starters.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #415
2 Rivet Member

As I clean and fiddle with the outside of the AS I find quite a few places where someone has sealed seams with silicon seal. I for sure want to remove all of that. But what I wonder is . Do the rivitted seams quite often develop leaks? and if they do how do you seal one so that the calking dosent look like a rotten night crawler. Most of the seams on the unit have very small dark gray calk showing. But it looks original. I hate to even think of how to get every vestage of silicon seal off. Ive had the stuff mess up some real fine paint jobs. Mac

Eschew Obfuscation
Old 11-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #416
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Food for thought Mac

Mac
Some years ago we experienced a blow-back of soot when our oil fired furnace failed. The insurance company hired a special cleaning firm to rid the soot from all the walls, etc. One of the things that was employed and, this might be of some help to you, were these huge rubber bricks used to rub down the walls with.. Worked~! Just like an eraser~
It might be something for you to consider using on for your ceiling and walls. The beauty of it was, no liquid mess.
On one hand, your ceilings are in much worse starting condition than our interior but, just a thought.

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-20-2003, 10:24 PM   #417
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Sneakinup-

Good day-
Actually, ask if she's ever heard the expression "house car" or "camping car" which is usually the term for a MH or RV as they're called here.

In Sweden, they call the MH's "husbil" which translates directly into hus= house, and bil= car, and they call caravans or trailers "husvagn" which translates into "house wagon". However, when a Swede is speaking English, they still refer to them as caravans.

Not trying to shove the issue, but thought some may be interested- its a common thing, and since 53 FC signs off with ciao- he should also know that they're referred to as caravans in Italia, as well.

This site's on the internet, and the address starts with "www." and we all know what that means- and its a big world out there.

My deepest apolgoies if I offended anyone.

Cheers. Peter
Old 11-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #418
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy It's possible

McMullen
First, the major part of your questions are answered here, as to aheads up on what to use to properly seal your seams.Vuklum
As you may note, there are several different types of choices to use. They all do essentially the same job, which is seal.. it just depends on your need. (Sealing a larger area like around an A/C, vent, etc. or something as small as seam line work)
For most of your sealing work, above the window line "Parr bond" will do just perfect. Any of them on the list should last for years.
As for application of same, I can say this from my own personal experience, your results will be alot neater and, near professional looking if you use a "Vet. syringe" (this is mostly for seam line work). At this time, the only place I'm aware of where you can order these is from Steve, who lives in VT. I don't recall his website but, will post it to you if you're interested at a later date. BTW, he sells these for approx 75cents apiece.
The beauty of using these syringe is, you can cut the tip at an opening/angle to suit your needs. Allows you to have greater control over just how much Vuklum comes out. trust me, when I say you can lay down a very thin, narrow bead..
It's also possible to reuse them with proper cleaning more than once.
I'd say that the best way to remove the old seal is with a chemical..possibly spirit of mineral or alcohol. Plus, a special wooden tool that has an angle point. This will lessen the chances of scratche marks on the finish of your Airstream.
The chemical will soften the old sealer up and, the use of the wooden tool will help you clean it out.
It's advised to reseal the seams somewhere along the line after you finis your polishing project.
I'm sure that there are others on here that will jump in here and, give you further tips.

Quote:
I hate to even think of how to get every vestage of silicon seal off.
Alcohol or spirit of mineral will do this job quite nicely again..Just keep clean rags handy....lol

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-20-2003, 11:36 PM   #419
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Question

What happened to Trailertrash?

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #420
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Re: It's possible

Quote:
Originally posted by 53FlyingCloud
As for application of same, I can say this from my own personal experience, your results will be alot neater and, near professional looking if you use a "Vet. syringe" (this is mostly for seam line work). At this time, the only place I'm aware of where you can order these is from Steve, who lives in VT. I don't recall his website but,

Airstream Dreams
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote