Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2003, 08:43 PM   #361
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Very nice Tim, your hard work is showing . If you were to finish before the holidays, you could hang your new shiny ornament on your tree.

I've got to tell you guys that, up until two days ago, I've been polishing entirely with Southern Shine and a 'chink' HF buffer. So, this was my benchmark. Well I just ordered and received the Nuvite sample pack from AS Dreams and man is there a difference. Ten times easier with one tenth the mess. Now don't get me wrong, the SS has its place. Just not for the first pass on polishing. Maybe once a year to upkeep the shine. I did about all of the rear end cap to the top of the window line with about half of the 1/4 pound sample of F7. This took me about two and a half hours with alot of that time standing back and admiring my work. My estimated polish time was cut by about two thirds. Yeehaaaw!

I had to cover the trailer up with a large blue tarp because the pecan tree I'm parked under is sapping like crazy. Makes it really tough to polish with all of those little clear and sticky bumps all over the surface. I'll be out of polishing commission for a few weeks until the tree sheads its leaves.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:44 PM   #362
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl~!

Safari Tim
Looking Great~!!
PARTY TIME, FLASHIN YOUR LED'S....LOL
The LED looks like it will work~I can see em in your picture, just imagine what it will look like on the road..
I'll echo garry's wishes as well to all and, their family~
Quote:
Happy Holidays
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Yeehaaaw!

flyfshr
Quote:
I had to cover the trailer up with a large blue tarp because the pecan tree I'm parked under is sapping like crazy. Makes it really tough to polish with all of those little clear and sticky bumps all over the surface.
OUCH~!
After all that work is finis, don't you think it's time to park away from that pecan tree? You might try spirit of mineral to clean those stickie sap bumps with..Seems to work on just about everything else.
Welcome to the Nuvite group..As you say, each product has its place.
Question.
Do you have a cyclo polisher available to use?
ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-12-2003, 06:37 AM   #364
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Access to Cyclo

I purchased a Cyclo from Top of the Line Products on the web. Didn't like the results after using it a short time. I now realize its not for the first pass, that's the compounder's job. I'll get the cyclo out when its time to get out the swirl marks, probably after the first of the year. The best stuff for getting off the tree sap is Bug, Tar & Tree Sap Remover by Johnson Wax made for your car.

Glad to be part of the Nuvite group. Should have been here all along.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:59 AM   #365
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Thanks

flyfhsr
Quote:
The best stuff for getting off the tree sap is Bug, Tar & Tree Sap Remover by Johnson Wax made for your car.
Thanks for the memory lane jolt..I've used this product before in the past and, you're so right..it does a great job on the removal of the road nasties~
You might want to look into the flannel sheets from perfectpolish..I bought the "pack" and, it's turned out to be well worth the cost. Just the thing to use with the Cyclo..

Nothing to do here but, get both of my polishing bags out..clean everything up and, sort it out ..
Getting ready for next Spring..lol

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #366
2 Rivet Member

Cyclo

I'm new to this Forum and I'm also a new owner of an airstream. I'm a proficiant tool User but have never heard of a cyclo. could you tell me what it is ? Also is the clear coat you talk about the same as on a car and if so Why dont you spray a coat on when you get done polishing so that it would last for years. Thank you . I'm going to restore my AS so I'll be asking what I hope are not stupid Questions. Mac
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #367
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum and the "Finally got started" thread.

This thread is mostly about striping and polishing and the trials and tribulations of learning how and what to use. We are not experts, more of self help and encouragement.

Striping and polishing is one tough project and once started you can't go back. There are professional polishers and the going rate is $100 per ft. I have never had an estimate to reclear coat but others have said $2500/$3000.
If you review this thread ( 8 pages) you will get a feel for the polishing project, there is also information and links on where to get additional information and sources for materials. I will post below a picture of a Cyclo and a componder

Cyclo is on the right (dual head polisher) and is used in the final steps of polishing the compounder is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00557.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	3811  
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #368
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good question~

McMullen

Welcome to the family of streamers`! and, you've come to one of the best websites for finding answers~
Quote:
I'm new to this Forum and I'm also a new owner of an airstream. I'm a proficiant tool User but have never heard of a cyclo. could you tell me what it is ? Also is the clear coat you talk about the same as on a car and if so Why dont you spray a coat on when you get done polishing so that it would last for years. Thank you . I'm going to restore my AS so I'll be asking what I hope are not stupid Questions
First tell us about your new unit~!
Cyclo is best viewed as a 'professional polisher'. Here's a link that might explain it better than I can.Cyclo polisher
While you're there, take a look<@@> around, you'll find tons of information~
The process of clear coating an Airstream is somewhat similar to that used on your car but..I'm lead to believe with some slight differences. The story is an awful long one and, over the years..I do think A/S tried numerous approach. Some of which were not too successful. In recent years, since the late 90's (maybe) the process has been applied before the aluminum sheets arrived at the Airstream factory.
To just spray a clearcoat on again after polishing it would be great..if it lasted. The general opinion is 5 yrs tops after re-applying a new coat. Alot of us, myself including, would just rather wax it and/or re-buff it as needed. Are we crazy?? lol
The search is on-going for something more lasting than, say 5 yrs.
There is an ongoing thread relative to that very subject..called POR-15..It looks somewhat promising..
Again "Welcome to the family"~
ciao
Hi "garry"...
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The big difference between clear coating an Airstream and clear coating a car is the fact that the aluminum skin on the Airstream expands and contracts according to temp. So over the years Airstream has had a challange finding a clear coat that would work. Prior to 93 or so they used a clear coat that was fairly successful - then the EPA got after them and they switched clear coat and had lots of clearcoat problems. Now the clearcoat is applied to the sheets of Aluminum prior to the construction of the trailer and seems to be holding up pretty good.

At least thats my understanding..................

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #370
2 Rivet Member

Thank you Ken And Gary. I just bought my AS and I havent got a title Yet. Its in probate. So I do not know what year it is And I don't know where on the rig to find the year it was biult. I'll try to send you a before picture with this post
Old 11-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #371
2 Rivet Member

This is the new unit. Its dirtyer inside but not torn up and nearly everything is there. Its panneled with teak just like my old morgan. Ill make it look like a new one if I live long enough. Mac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb100412.ajpg.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	3815  
Old 11-13-2003, 10:54 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Gawd~!

Man Ohhhh man...
I can see this baby shin'ing~!~
It may look awful(Not sure that's the proper term, because, after all it's an AIRSTREAM~!~) now but, I know you can do it~!~
For what it's worth, there was another couple out WEST, who undertook a project so very much like yours~ If I can find their website again, I'll "post" the link on here for you to use also as an encouragement~!~
As tempting as it is..I'd go at the removal process slow..Try something like "Spirit of Mineral" with soft rags to remove the greeenie off the outside..etc..Plse try to take as many pictures of your efforts and, post the progress reports on here~!
How much time have you set aside for this project? I'm guessing it could be many months`
Have you made a list of what you think you'll need to get this back on the road yet?? Something that'll act a guide line..
I offer whatever help I can from my end...I do believe EVERYONE ON HERE feels the same..Just ask..
Good luck and, Welcome to the halls of "polishing gurus"..

ciao
Quote:
I just bought my AS and I havent got a title Yet. Its in probate. So I do not know what year it is And I don't know where on the rig to find the year it was biult. I'll try to send you a before picture with this post
One place you can look first is on the metal frame of the tongue up front of the unit. Airstream almost always stamped the numbers on the metal. It may be very faint or it could even be under a layer of paint or rust but..it should be there..I'd try that first. Also, there should be a VIN# tag somewhere either on the outside area..If you look real good, you're bound to find something. By the looks of it, I'd say you're in the 70's fer sure..It could be even a little earlier but not by much..Try to take some more pictures of the trailer around the tail end and, of the upper front & rear panels..As far as a title is concern..this may very well be old enough as to preclude that requirement. In other words, all you may need is a bill of sales in order to get it a tag on it. Do you mind saying where it is that you're from??

Again..Good luck..
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #373
2 Rivet Member

I'm from Glide Oregon. I live up on a mountain. I found this AS through a friend for 200 dollars. the man that lived in it for many years finely went to an older folks home. He must of smoked 2 packs a day. I live in the Caribian 6 months out of the year so I will work on it when I'm home. Right now I'm just getting it ready to winter over. Heres a few more pictures. Mac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb100407.ajpg.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	3817  
Old 11-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #374
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
To say the least~

McMullen
Quote:
He must of smoked 2 packs a day.
Are you sure?
My guess would include a large box of "cigars" daily~

I'm speechless..."To say the least"

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-14-2003, 05:18 AM   #375
2 Rivet Member

new trailer ID

Look on the emblem under the curb side window, mine stamped on the lower middle of that emblem. Faint and hard to read but its there. PJ
bswaslien@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:20 AM   #376
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yep, there should be a vin stamped on that plate under the window, just to the right of the door. There may also be a tag on the front wall of the trailer, in the lower street-side corner, with the gvw and serial number on it.

I'd say its "late 60's"....square. frameless windows. 70's windows had rounded corners, and the glass was (is) surrounded by alluminum frame. also, the front had the curved "wing" windows on either side of the large main one.

Check the photo archives on www.vintageairstream.com and you'll get a pretty good idea of the year.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #377
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looks like it's either a 66, 67 or 68 Overlander to me...if you can obtain the serial number off the plate to right of the door someone can confirm which year it is.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you...but before long it'll be a beauty!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:38 PM   #378
2 Rivet Member

Greetings. Your right it is a 66. Beside the door it says L29 FF 126 75 567 2027 Please could you tell me what these letters and numbers mean? I was already told that the date was the third didgit of the 126. so its a 66 Overlander International. are they all called International? It is cleaning up remarkably well on the outside. Heres a picture of it after two days scrubbing. The other side is still to go. I do not plan to remake it exactly as it was. I will keep everything in it that is good and replace every thing else as I would like it to be. first off is the wheels. Wheels are very inexpensive, as the bolt patern is the same as Chevrolet pickups, Toyoto four wheel drive and Dadson four wheel drive and Isuzu Trooper plus almost any other 6 bolt wheel on the market. I bought a whole Isuzu trooper the other day for a hundred bucks, just for the 5 bieutifull mag rims and fairly good tires. Thank you People for being so helpfull. Mac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb140415.bjpg.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	3820  
Old 11-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #379
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Looking Great~!

McMullen

It's looking great~!
Soon you'll have that "covent" award~! (Most improved)
Info for your VIN # can be found here.
VIN Numbers

keep up the great work`

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 11-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #380
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
tires

You mentioned auto/truck tires. Make sure you don't put those on. Use only specific Trailer Tires. They have stiff sidewalls and higher load factors. Using auto tires can cause significant problems.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote