Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Cool Downfalls of a good polish.....

We have been staying on some property in South Texas for the last year and have come across some strange problems lately. We were jolted awake by a loud tap on the outside of our trailer at 6:00 a.m. We have cameras aimed towards the bow and the stern and I checked the cameras and saw nothing. Again, another loud tapping on the outside of our trailer. I cautiously opened the door to see an old Tom Turkey (with an 11" beard) looking at himself with all his feathers proudly displayed. He would turn in a circle one direction and then back the other direction, look at himself and peck the trailer. He continued for five more minutes before he was sure he was the more dominant of the two and proudly walked away.

We have cows that lick the trailer, I guess thinking they are cleaning themselves and we also have a donkey that just stands with his nose on the trailer and stairs at his beauty, sometimes for over an hour. Yesterday we had a 1,200 lbs bull that we call Haus that stopped and turned toward the trailer, maybe 25 feet away. When he started throwing dirt with his hoof, I had to spray him with our water hose before he attacked himself. Lucky we weren't sleeping at the time.

Happy Shining....
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Enjoyed the story, pretty funny!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
Love it.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Three years ago the farmer down the road ran over a nest of wild turkeys so he brought me the undamaged eggs... of the four three hatched. We gave them to one of our barnyard hens to rear which she did and they hung out for the rest of the year and springtime came and so did the wild gobblers... They lured the hens off and beat the snot of of Tom cuz he was a young dumb participant. Now three years later he is a big strapping gobbler who patrols our place and doesn't allow any toms in our yard... He's tame enough that you can get within a couple of feet of him but you can't box him in. Because of his territorial patrolling he really had some fits over the Tom in the trailer. He would circle it peck gobbler fan drag his wings, and if you left the trailer open he would even stand on the doorway peering in for the 'other' turkey. We had to finally put the Safari in the car barn, but now he is eyeing the new kid on the block in the form of a 54 Flying Cloud turkey.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I bet Cardinals have the same problem. I have had one beating up my shop window all spring.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Downfalls of a good polish.....

This topic brings to mind my first tour of Yellowstone National Park following the WBCCI International Rally in Boise, Idaho in 1998. I was on a Grayline Tour of the park when our guide indicated that we were approaching a large wildlife traffic jam . . . when we drew closer, it became apparent that this was more than a typical wildlife traffic jam . . . a classic aluminum Airstream motorhome with a mirror polish job had been charged by a large male bison . . . learned later that the ranger believed the bison was attacking his shadow as if it were another male bison . . . later heard that the estimate for repairs on the motorhome was in excess of $20,000. . . .

Kevin

P.S.: The extent of the bison's injuries was a cut on his rump . . . he just ambled away from the Airstream shaking his head briefly . . .

I was happy to be towing my Argosy rather than the Overlander in 2008 when I toured Yellowstone National Park on my way to the WBCCI International Rally . . . as I was leaving the Fishing Bridge Campground, I encountered a large male bison ambling down the road . . . he walked by my Argosy without giving it a second look . . .
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have had numerous birds try and get up close and personal with our trailer as well.

Another downfall is the sun reflection burning patio rugs. We just had to replace another a few months ago.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I can see "Downsides to a good polish". Downfalls sounds a little drastic.

I was thinking something like the life and death of Count Pulaski. Of course upon reading the thread I realized that you meant polish as in shining things up rather than Polish from Poland.

Funny stuff. Probably a good thing you shooed the bull away. Might have turned out like the bison.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
That, was REALLY funny.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Kentucky
That is hilarious ! I was thinking of putting my sheep in the field with the Airstream, but now I don't know! I could be butted all night!!
Lexgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Anodized, kids. None of these concerns, then.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
While traveling on a long lonely straight stretch of road in northern Wisconsin, in our shiny 31' Sovereign, we were approached and overtaken by a motorcyclist. He pulled up beside our trailer, and then kept an even pace with us - whileenjoying a full length view of himself and his bike in action! He stuck around for several minutes, preening and posing, before pulling away.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Ha,
Good post.
Thanks.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote