Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Do you think I need a coarser grade of Nuvite than G6?

Hi Guys,

I just tried out my Nuvite – NuShine II G6 polish on my 1960 trailer tonight and I am wondering if it will be coarse enough to do the job. I began compounding by using “fingerprints” of G6 in a small area (about 18in. square). I was compounding the polish until I could see no reside left (actually I could rarely see any residue). I made about 8-10 passes over the metal, applying more “fingerprints” of G6 with each pass, and I am only seeing very small patches of really polished metal. Most of the metal still seems cloudy and it also seems very pitted (as you’ll see in my pictures). The pits seemed to fill up with polish and get very gray. I used ‘mineral spirits’ to clean the whole area after each few passes, and this seemed to make the area seem cloudy again. Is this normal? Should I not use the mineral spirits to clean the entire area after I have polished it? Should I only put one set of ‘fingerprints’ of compound on the section and go over the section 8-10 times, or should I apply more ‘fingerprints’ before each pass? (That is what I have been doing).

I have noticed on many parts of my trailer that there seems to have been a lot of corrosion to the aluminum over the past 46 years. There are some places where the aluminum seems ‘rough’, and you can see the ‘bumpiness’ clearly with the naked eye. This is why I am wondering if I should use a coarser grade of NuShine II to try and knock down and polish out all of this heavy oxidization? What do you think? Any advice is welcome.

Here are some before and after pictures of my compounding:

The left side before compounding – very oxidized and the shinier patches are where I tried very fine steel wool on it a couple of years ago.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blazervette72/detail?.dir=50c4&.dnm=6bb3scd.jpg&.src=ph

Here is the rear before compounding. You can see the water lines that have been oxidized into the aluminum over the past 46 years.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blazervette72/detail?.dir=50c4&.dnm=486escd.jpg&.src=ph

Here is a close up after picture of the left side. This is after about 8-10 passes, each time using just small fingerprints of G6. You can really see the pits being filled with polish and you can still see the water lines that have etched their way onto the aluminum over the years. There still seems to be a lot of oxidization left.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blazervette72/detail?.dir=50c4&.dnm=937dscd.jpg&.src=ph

Here is a wider angle of the same left side area. After 8-10 passes there still seems to be a whole lotta oxidization. Should I get a coarser grade of Nuvite?
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blazervette72/detail?.dir=50c4&.dnm=ae53scd.jpg&.src=ph

You can e-mail me at:

blazervette72@yahoo.ca

Thanks,

Rod Retallick
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Rod,

Tell us about your compounder and technique.

I used a 1/2" drill with a wool bonnet. I held the bonnet at the trailer at about a 45 degree angle and only applied polish to the outer face of the bonnet.

Next is the speed. You need to use a low rpm polisher and with a decent amount of pressure move the compounder very very slowly from right to left across the trailer skin about 1 inch per second.

Cleaning with minieral spirits and micro fiber cloths worked for me.

I'd also suggest listening to episode 20 of theVAP.

Good luck with your project!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
My compounding technique is based on the information I got from Tom Patterson's web page. I dabbed a fingerprint of G6 about every 3 inches in a 18 square inch area. I used a 1/2 inch Makita drill with a 7 inch wool bonnet. I moved ONLY in a downward direction (according to Tom's advice) at about 1 inch per second. I held the drill at between a 15-45 degree angle. I used a pretty good amount of pressure while pushing on the skin. The compounded area of the skin does seem much smother to the touch than the rest of the trailer, but it still looks pretty poor. You can really see the pitting. When I cleaned the area with mineral spirits, I was just using old, 100% cotton, blue jean material, and it seemed to smear the residue everywhere. Th guess I'll have to use better material than old blue jeans. Is there anything I am missing? As you can see in my pictures, the area doesn't seem to look a whole lot better than it did before I tried compounding.

Rod
Old 06-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Tom's the man when it comes to polishing, that's for sure.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Only thing else I can think of is to make sure you stripped any clearcoat that may have existed.

I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
If it were me, I'd try something like 3M 5954 compound to cut thru the oxidation, then go to Nuvite...

3M 05954, Super Duty Rubbing Compound, 1 Quart

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Craftsman

I'm only repeating what I recently read, but someone else using the 3M and switching to the Nuvite G6 said the G6 cut faster. On my 25 Classic there are some areas( where the pinstripe was removed )that I used the G9. It's an extreamly slow process no matter what you use.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
My old girl definitely doesn't have clearcoat on her, just 46 years of oxidation. Any more suggestions? Did you guys take a look at my pictures?

Rod
Old 06-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod
My old girl definitely doesn't have clearcoat on her, just 46 years of oxidation. Any more suggestions? Did you guys take a look at my pictures?

Rod
Yes, you have some nasty oxide there, Whishin you luck! Just keep at it, I used a Makita 6" grinder with a 9" foam "waffle" wheel. It is pretty aggressive.

www.balrgn.com/Polish/Polish.htm
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Well, there is always acid washing. I've never done it myself. I understand you have to super careful about it.

Might try a small panel and see. We mentioned it on the show I referred to.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
wow..

that is some nasty corrosion. I'd almost (yikes!) think about some REAL light wetsanding first (see InsideOut's web site for her bit one polishing. She used some wetsanding for the front).

Cute trailer - any more pics? How'd you get it?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
3Ms75Argosy,

The trailer is a 1960 Homebuilt unit, built from plans in the May 1957 Mechanix Illustrated. The plans came from the Honorbilt Trailer Co. of Lakeview Calif. (Every heard of them? I have tried finding info on this company but have come up with nothing). I bought it from the original builder/owner in May 2001. I found it on our local classified ads. We have taken her camping EVERY summer since we bought her. The interior is in great shape, no leaks. That's becuase he used one single sheet of aluminum for the roof from the bottom of the front, all the way around to the bottom of the rear. No seams at all, so no leaks. Since I bought it I have installed a 12V system, put in a fresh water tank (with hand pump), put in a new axle with electric brakes, and a double propane tank sey up in front. I really want to polish her, but I'm afraid that Nuvite G6 may be too fine for her corrosion. Any more advie will be welcomed!

I have a few pictures of her at this website:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bla...r=50c4&.src=ph

Rod
Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Here are a couple of better pictures of my polished areas in the daylight. You can really see the pitting on the side panel and the water etching on the rear panel. Any more suggestions?

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After polishing left side - close up -daylight_1_1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	23083   Click image for larger version

Name:	After polishing rear corner - in daylight_2_1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	23084  

Old 07-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes I would try something courser - however, I'm really wondering what grade of aluminum he used to build the trailer - it may not be alclade (or however you spell that word) - also have you done the tooth paste trick - take a dab of toothpaste and rub it on the skin - if it turns black it does not have any sort of coating on it - if it doesn't, you may have some sort of coating on it - from the looks of it and your discription of very little black gook - it may have some sort of coating on it.....

Just my two cents - not sure otherwise what is happening.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Ken J,

I had not heard of the toothpaste trick. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe there is a coating on it.

Rod