Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
cyclo rent?

With the long list of parts and materials the get the beast on the road I couldn't help but notice the high cost of the cyclo polishers and wondered if there were any known sources (particularly in the northwest) that a polisher could be rented instead of the several hundred dollar investment.

Any help is appreciated.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The truth of renting small tools:

I recently installed a hardwood floor in my house. I looked into renting a cleat nailer for this purpose, and the cost was $32.00 per day. I figured that the job was going to take me two weeks ($448 to rent). I bought a brand new Porter Cable cleat nailer for $520.00 and installed my floor. Two friends also used it. I then sold it on Ebay For $375.00. Do the math. I came out way ahead by buying a brand new tool and them selling it on Ebay.

A new Cyclo Poliisher kit on Ebay is $335.00, and that includes a whole selection of pads and polish (about $50.00 worth). A recent model gently used Cyclo will bring $175.00 on Ebay easy. Do the math before renting.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
renting not

Polishing is also not a one time thing. It's an every year more then just a touch up thing. Also big investment of polish and grades on material. Cloth, not to mention the compounder. I suggest the Makita varible speed.....$300. comes with nifty carrying case which holds all the wool buffers,etc, etc. It goes on and on. Good Luck!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
70 Overlander

1970 27' Overlander
jacksonville , Florida
Cyclo Or Chicago

Hello,
I have several buffers from being in the detail buisiness and from polishing several airstreams. I have the cyclo, makita, porter cable dual action, and the harbor freight 7in chicago buffers. The cyclo didnt prove to be the best investment for polishing airstreams. There are many ways to polish and the cyclo seemed to take way too long.
Buffing takes its toll on any buffer so after spending 75$ to replace a gear in my makita I mostly use the Chicago. Essentially it is a cheaper version of the makita or dewalt variable speed polishers at a 20-35$ price range 'depending on the sale they have at the time'. It is not as smooth as the makita wich can be good for buffing the alluminum. Harbor freight also has a great wool pad for 7$ from my sales reps the same pads are 10$. the makita is a much better buffer but it is over 200$ i have bought 5 chicagos so far and they usually last 2-3 airstream polish jobs, hundreds of hours!
So my recomendation is to buy the chicago rather than a cyclo for 300$ or an airmark for 1300$ i hear the airmarks are AWESOME but its a lot of money and you have to have an aircompressor to handle it.
PM me if you want any more info, id love to help. If you were closer id let you use my cyclo. also if your sold on a cycle go to ebay, one will come up.
J.M.
jesus mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
We have a harbor freight tools store about an hour from here and have used many of the chicago tools. Just like to polish especially around new vent covers, rock guard, lights etc before I install and with new appliances ready to order and new axles this spring spending a few hundred bucks on a polisher isn't likely. I've been watching Ebay for several weeks but haven't seen one come on yet. Thanks for your help and I'll definately get in touch for more info after I get down there and check out HF's model.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote