Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

cyclo polisher: air vs. electric

I am getting ready to purchase a cyclo polisher and wanted to ask the group if I should go electric or air tool? I typically prefer air tools but not sure with the cyclo since I have not used one before. Thanks.
cherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:38 PM   #2
art
3 Rivet Member

Ihave an electric cyclo . it is cheaper and a pretty good quality tool if you are only doing one trailer or two .If you plan on doing it for fun or profit go air. I would check into the southern shine product i have been hearing about on this forum. I know the cyclo works but it takes alot of work and time .Idid it ,trust me .This new stuff is supposed to be cheaper and alot faster,although I have not used it myself yet .Ps you dont need a cyclo to use it .Just a regular buffer I believe.
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice. I have already compounded with Nuvite so at this point I am in need of cyclo. Perhaps I will try the product you mention with one of my other Airstreams. I'm leaning towards the air tool based on what you have said. I am only polishing for myself but I have 3 Airstreams.

Thanks again.
Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If energy cost is an issue fo you, go electric. The air polisher will use much more compressor energy (like ten times more) than the motor on the electric unit.
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that if I use an air tool that I will need a compressor with a large capacity? I am getting ready to purchase a new compressor and that is one reason that I wanted to get feedback on the cyclo. Do you have a suggestion on what capacity compressor I would need?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I've got no idea, frankly. You'd pretty much have to look at the air consumption of the cyclo, and match that up with a compressor and the duty cycle. As I understand it, if you need 5 cfm at the tool, you wanna pick a comprssor that will do about 10 cfm, to let it cycle off and cool once in a while.

Check the amps on the electric cyclo and the amps on the compressor and you'll see what I mean about energy use...

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I like air tools better also, they are lighter and run cold instead of hot. An air Cyclo uses 12-14 cfm. Any time you get into air grinders and polishers the consumption is way up there. On the plus side for the air it has more power than the electric.

One other thought- the air is probably going to be quite a bit more expensive than electric. Most air tools like this are for industry and the price doesn't vary alot. There will be a lot more competition to sell electric models.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I was leaning towards the air tool mostly because I know that it's something I will use frequently. I don't sell Airstreams but I do seem to keep finding them and bringing them home. Right now I have 3 that I would like to eventually polish and I was concerned that an electric cyclo would not live that long.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:55 PM   #9
art
3 Rivet Member

you might not live that long if you try to keep three airstreams looking like they were just polished. I admire your style ,But you will get tired.Good luck
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:31 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
i have a 5hp Campbell Hausfield air compressor - it gives plenty of air for those high consumption tools like polishers. Had a 2hp Craftsman before that and it couldn't keep up.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote