Old 05-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Knoxville , Tennessee
Polishing

We had our '73 polished last winter; Augusta, GA. $200/lf. Plus some extra work. We researched it for several months finding $185-$250. 29' is a 6 week job if you are thinking of doing it right - at least 200+ hours.

If you are within 8-10 hours of Augusta you won't regret it. They did a fantastic job and they do some repair work too.
G W Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Be careful

I also live in the Chicago area and found a place to polish it in Fresno Cal. So I drove there after making my appointment and had it stripped and polished. The cost was $165 per square foot, total $4455.00 This was the going "never been polished before rate". If it had been polished before it was half as much. I had 4 panels replaced on the rear of my AS from a previous owners mishaps. When my AS was polished all my brand new panels warped from the heat. The new panels are much thinner than the old ones. So my insurance covered the damage but when I had the 2nd set of new panels installed, Airstream in Portland said all Airstream will do is install them and BUFF and Wax them, NOT POLISH to a mirror finish. The insurance co. did give me a check to have that work done else where. When Airstream reviewed the polish job I received they told me I also now need to reseal all the caulk between panels, especially the door and windows. Another $750. I will now begin to polish those last panels myself as now I no longer trust anyone. If you have the work done, go and visit your AS every day to see how it"s coming along. Look closely. Also pay with a credit card.This is very time consuming work. If it is rushed you will be the looser. This is why Airstream won"t do this kind of work. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find the right place to get it done. The mirror finish is the greatest and awesome to gaze upon. See you out there.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Villa Park , Alabama
As I crunch some of the numbers I'm hearing from this thread and other threads concerning polishing, I've come to some interesting conclusions.
Most folks report that stripping and polishing the Airstream by yourself will take between 250 and 300 hours of labor. And apparently this labor ain't like knitting a sweater or folding laundry, it's hard and dirty work.
If I take the high estimate of $8000 and divide it by the high estimate of 300 hours of labor, that gives us $26.67 per hour. I view this as reasonable for good old fashioned sweaty hard work. On premium babysitting nights like new years eve, or Valentine's day, I've heard of $25 an hour for a babysitter. A rip off to be sure, but desperation and supply and demand can and does support such a going rate.
Other examples of hourly labor would be paying the neighbor kid $20-$30 to mow your lawn. If he only mows and doesn't trim weed, fertilize, or anything, he could easily do it in an hour. And for this we're talking about a 12 or 13 year old kid.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I'm currently at the end of a full restoration myself and understand your feelings completely.

If your not too fussy with aesthetics then performing a polish yourself that yields satisfactory enough results for you and your wife isn't too difficult or that time consuming. Yes there will be scratches left over. But. Stand back a few feet and it will pas the test for most.

I just stripped mine. It took 2 days. I have been polishing now for 1 hour a night. 7 nights later one side is nearly finished. It looks a million times better than what it did.

You can successfully polish in and around everything without removal with a small cotton wheel on a drill.

After I run back over with a finer grade to remove the swirls, it will be a shiny finish with small scratches that you can barely see. When a regain some enthusiasm, I'll start the whole process again and little by little it will get better every time.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:01 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
polished all day in fl. for 3,000 to 4,000
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote