Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Corrosion X question

Do I apply this before / after or instead of Walbonizing? Also do I apply over entire surface or just the cut exposed area's

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
application to all surfaces may be overkill? The general understanding seems to be that the cut edes or rivets and such are the areas likely to start to have filiform corrosion in certain conditions...I have seen and heard of ones in the center of panels but they seem quite rare. I keep a close eye on all the panels for small scratches and use a clear coat pen on those to seal them off.

Being that after I apply the corrosion X, it will require I think a wash...I prefer to wait till then after to wash and wax...if you wax first then apply, then you must wash again anyway...I doubt (although have no idea) if it matters much though...as long as you put the X on at all before or after wax, you would be fine perhaps?

Some treat all of the exposed edges with clear coat as well...I plan on doing that very soon myself...I am 1 year in with my 2014 airstream and no filiform yet, did my X treatment in 12/2013, and plan on doing it again soon, probably will start doing it twice a year as well.

I use boeshield T9 on the underbelly, the tongue, hitch, the steps and very thorougly on the stabilizers...so far so good...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My first go at this treatment was too sloppy...this time I plan on spraying the X into the cap or something, then applying it to those parts with a smaller applicator, q-tip or something like that...less clean up...my first go around I just sprayed the edges and it was a ton of waste and so sloppy....my trailer was weeping X from the seams during canopener 2014

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
If you figure out, or if anyone knows, how to get it to work on small (rock/sand) slits or tiny dings please post. I've tried: Q-Tips, spray & sit, spray & wipe, etc. So far it seems the Corrosion X never reaches the corrosion/filiform on the aluminum. The 'holes' in the coating are almost invisible, it's only until the corrosion starts can one tell where there has been a hit/breach.

The front center of my A/S (between the stone guards) & lower tank cover have a lot of tiny 'slits' of corrosion forming. I'd like to get ahead of these if I can.

The tank cover is not my major concern
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
After I wash and walbernize I wipe the edges and any problem spots with a rag soaked with corrosion-x. That kept it in check on my 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I got 1 before washing and 1 after, any more thoughts?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I apply it to the cut edges and rivets with a Q-Tip dipped in some sprayed in the cap quarterly. I also spray exterior fittings, hinges, wheels and wipe with a rag, then give the stabilizers and steps a shot as well and wipe them. Do the underbody steel once a year. I don't know what is better, before or after polish. If the polish prevents it from bonding to the edges, treat before. If the polish wipes it off then treat afterward.

Polishing is once a year, any high quality polish. It can't protect the edges for long and rivet holes at all.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote