Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Corrosion-inner

Hello everyone,

I'm dealing with some exterior skin, inner and outer corrosion.
Inner first:
I have my interior skins off and have been removing white powder corrosion by way of stainless wire wheel, 3m pads and various other abrasives. I then use anodine, alumiprep and coat w/ a epoxy primer. I have now moved to the end caps and as you can see in the pics, there is filliform corrosion under an orange layer of what i assume was adhesive from the original insulation. The adhesive doesn't come off with a solvent and a wire wheel is taking forever to remove the adhesive and corrosion. Is it something I could leave if I treat w/ corrosion X? Looking for some suggestions in the removal. Possibly media blasting?
sorry, the pics are rotated. could not get them straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3797.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	310940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3800.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	310941  

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	310942  
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Media blast should not be overlooked, I have blasted a lot of corrosion in my career. Be aware that you can distort the skin with to much pressure or staying to long in one spot. The adhesive will not blast of. On the interior just prime when finished, exterior will work to but returning the skin to an acceptable look afterward will be a challenge. Some of your exterior filaform might come off with an aggressive first cut polishing compound. The areas under your light fixtures will need to be masked off before blasting to keep from blasting areas outside of the corroded area. Be aware that blasting is a slippery slope and you could blast completely through the skin. You also might want to consider making repair pieces around the lights.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
This may help from another thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174682

See posts starting at #67-84
Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
SW Ranches , Florida
For a second, I thought I was looking at pictures of my trailer! The resemblance of the corrosion on the front/back is uncanny. Did you have any luck removing the filliform corrosion? We're trying to figure out that step now. I noticed you're in Fort Lauderdale too; I feel like it may be the humid weather worsening the corrosion, but I could be off on that one.

We found that the orange adhesive can be removed with Pro Stength Goof Off Spray, a nylon brush/scotch brite pad, a rag to wipe it all off, and some serious elbow grease. We've had luck removing the tape with a heat gun, flat popsicle stick and some patience. Hope that helps if you're still in this stage of your project!
ashleyfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
I went through about 4 cans of Xylene removing the adhesive from the aluminum. It's heavy duty stuff and you'll need some thick, rubber gloves and scotch brite pads.

I've used diluted alumiprep on most of the interior to clean it up and get rid of the light spots of corrosion. As far as the end caps, i still ahven't tackled that heavier corrosion yet. I'll use a less diluted alumiprep and see how that goes.
I'm sure South Florida weather has something to od with it but most of this corrosion was caused from the previous pink insulation gettgng wet and holding in the moisture...that's my theory

I'll probably have to replace a few , lower rear panels because of the filliform on the exterior. I't just to much to try and "maintain" (see pics)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	325312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	325313  

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	325314  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
SW Ranches , Florida
Thanks for the update! 4 can of Xylene is nothing in comparison to how many cans of Goof Off I've purchased. I've lost track of the $$$ and hours spent removing adhesive and Vulkem off the interior. Not much left at this point, but I'm gonna pick up a can of Xylene and give it a try this weekend!

We will already be replacing about 50% of the exterior panels due to an improper repair done by a previous owner; hoping that most/all the panels that might need replacing due to corrosion fall into that 50%, but that's a problem that I'll worry about in a few months, haha.
ashleyfigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
I haven't used the xylene on the vulkem but will certainly try it when I start replacing panels.