Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Marshall44
Compounding Buffer Problem

Hello: Any help is appreciated as always.

I bought a lightweight drill at Sears to attach to my compounding buffer set that I bought through Perfect Polish. Well, the adapter is too big to fit into the drill. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to return the drill for something bigger?

Is there a short-cut I could use or am I missing something obvious? I'm the first to admit I'm not mechanical in the least. I'll see if anybody has any suggestions before I trek back to Sears.

Thanks! Marshall
Marshall44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

What are you going to polish? If it's the exterior of your trailer, you'll end up burning up the drill. You need a buffer/polisher. That's my two cents.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

No, I have purchased the Cyclo Polisher. The compounding was supposed to be done with a low-speed drill attached to the buffer, then polish with the cyclo following.

The problem is the piece that goes into the drill is too large to fit. Maybe I need a bigger drill.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

You probably have a 3/8" chuck and if your attachment is too large to fit the chuclk, you'll need to go to a 1/2" chuck. When you mentioned "slow" I take it that you have or will exchange the drill motor to a "variable" speed otherwise it may rotate too fast. Bring the attachment to Sears to ensure that it'll fit the next drill motor you get. Good luck.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Seon:

Yes, thank you. That's what I was looking for. I need a bigger "chuck." I'm taking it back tomorrow with the adapter. And yes, I need a variable speed drill. I think I'll get a more expensive one that's easier to hold.

Thanks for the advice. I'm on it.

Marshall
Old 03-18-2003, 08:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Marshall

For what it is worth, Sears has a sander/polisher for $50 that may work. It has a 1/2 horse motor and should do the trick. If you are going to do your trailer, you may want a heavier buffer. They run around $200. I did my trailer and wish I had used a heavier buffer. The drill didn't do the job I wanted.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Marshall44
Seon:

Yes, thank you. That's what I was looking for. I need a bigger "chuck." I'm taking it back tomorrow with the adapter. And yes, I need a variable speed drill. I think I'll get a more expensive one that's easier to hold.

Thanks for the advice. I'm on it.

Marshall
While I like Sear hand tools such as the Craftsman stuff I find that a lot of the power tools are marked up. All of the power tools are badge engineered and actualy manufactured but other companies. THe lifetime warrant is only on the hand tools.
I think most of the Drills are Black and Decker. I'm pretty brutal on tools since I do a lot of metal fabricating and my last drill purchace was a Black & Decker 1/2 inch hammer drill from Home Depot. As I recall I paid right at $58 for it. Now I knew I was going to need to do some masonary drilling so I paid a little more for the hammer feature. For wood, metal and polishing that's not a feature you need. I think the next model down 1/2 inch was about $45. It's healthy and will not give you any trouble. Most of the tools at Home Depot are pretty good quality and the hand tools (like wrenches and screw drivers with the Husky brand) have the same life time warranty and I think HD will honor your craftsman warranty to get your buisness on future buys.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Toaster:

I appreciate the info. I'll ask for the 1/2" drill. Somewhere in the range of $45.

Marshall
Old 03-18-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Harbor Freight

Go to Habor Freight and get the right equipment!!!!!!

You can go there online and purchase the correct tool for the job for under 100 dollars and if you get lucky you will find it on sale for around 59 dollars. They also have a warranty available for a few dollars.

When You have the right tools for the job, it will be to the point that you will back up and say "boy am I glad I have the right tool"

I highly recommend the variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight.

I belive it runs from about 1500 RPM to 5000 RPM. you will definitely need the variable speed unit.

A drill will be just enough to get your ambition up but it will not make the distance.

Smily

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Ken:

Is this the 7" variable speed polisher for $49.00? It looks MUCH more like a compounder than a drill with something stuck onto it.

I think this is what you are referring to. If so, I'm ordering it today. I see it on line.

Thanks a million. Marshall
Old 03-18-2003, 09:48 PM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
polish on!

Thats the one. Make certain it is variable speed.

You will be glad you did this.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote