Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #1

Calgary , Alberta
Clearcoat removal - Circa 1850 Heavy Body Paint Remover

We've recently acquired and started working on a '68 overlander. Just wanted to share our experience re clearcoat removal - the Circa 1850 Heavy Body Paint Remover from walmart (canada) seems to lift clearcoat in about 5 seconds - apply liberally and scrape it off before it dries (10-15 seconds) with a plastic scraper (putty knife) and you can get it all off in one go.

We did the whole trainer (26') in 4 hours which seems potentially less time than we'd been led to believe.

Completed test sections polishing with a dewalt 7-9" polisher and we're getting a mirror finish.

For Canadians - princess auto has alot of the buffing supplies we needed - cheap!.

it was also a very clean process stripping as the 1850 is a goo and doesnt run.

Cleaned up with a non abrasive kitchen sponge which can take out any remnant clearcoat (within ~5 mins otherwise the clearcoat hardens again)

ausdave555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #2

1976 25' Tradewind
Donalda , Alberta
Where are you located. I live in central Alberta and just acquired a 76 Land Yacht. Happened to have the stripper you recommended, so will give it a try. After removing the clear coat & polushing, are you applying a new clearcoat?
fphagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #3

Calgary , Alberta
Howdy, we're in Calgary

We may use the walbernizer when we come to do that next spring - i was mainly stripping it before I seal all the joins (with the Airstream Seal-R + Applicator) for winter.
ausdave555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

1976 25' Tradewind
Donalda , Alberta
Thanks. I am N Stettler - Donalda is my mailing address (on the Battle R) for the moment - headed for Victoria on Wed, so LY improvements will wait till spring. Is there an AS dealer in YYC or do you order from the states? I know there are 2 in BC.
fphagen is offline   Reply With Quote