Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
This is one of the articles/papers that I have been using to determine how to minimize the damage to the skin of my Airstream.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/alu...roubleshooting
Great article...right up my Chem Eng background...with a lot of useful data.
Good discussion on pH and effects on aluminum....also noted that the pitting is mostly due to the Chloride part of the salt, not so much the calcium or sodium. I always knew Chlorides were bad for Stainless Steel over time.
Thanks Eagle & Bear
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
does that change opinions on Aluma Bright or similar?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Steel wool might be a last resort

No! Never use steel wool on aluminum. It will leave micro bits of steel imbedded in the soft aluminum and set up galvanic corrosion at each bit.
So....I have this friend who is CERTAINLY not me, at all, just a friend, who MIGHT have used steel wool on his anodized aluminum trailer.....in a small spot.

Should he do anything now to counteract?

Thanks!

Eric
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
So far I have washed everything with a dish soap/vinegar solution, tried aluminum oxide wet/dry paper and used my angle drill and Porter Cable random orbital angle buffer.

Lesson learned: do not use anything that is more course than 1000 grit. If you have to, sand with 1000 grit and then 1400 or finer grit to remove the top layer of corrosion. The remaining discoloration of the aluminum and pits (if they are not too deep) should be removed with F9 or F7 grade polish. The pits have been disappearing after 4-5 passes with the F9 and/or F7.

After removing all of the corrosion and pits I will try grade "S". Someone posted here that it can be done. If it does not give me the finish I want I will go back to grade "C" and then finish with "S".

When we go back to the Yukon I will put a protective layer of wax or some kind of magic stuff so that I do not have to do this again. Just hope some moose in rut does not see himself in the finish. The rear access door still has pits from the roadrunner that thought he saw a competitor in the reflection provided by my previous polish job.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote