Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2002, 09:47 PM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Question Buffing + rags + how to?

I Walbernized my A/S last week but the old buffer I was going to use conked out just as I started so I did the whole thing by hand.
The result was a much cleaner and shinier skin but with noticeable blotches and swirl marks.
Today I started over with another buffer but the wool pad loaded up after only a few square feet. Has anyone tried covering the pad with a soft cotton rag such as a diaper which can be tossed out and replaced so as to avoid buying a zillion pads and if so, how did you attach them?
BTW, I'm using Walberize CLeaner Polish and Glaze and the small area I got buffed looks fantastic on the 42 year old skin. Only about 700 square feet to go!

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
You need to use a buffer pad cleaning wheel or a screw driver. The wheel is a metal handled device With what look like metal spurs on the end, you press It against the rotating pad and it will flip off the loaded up material. You can use a screw driver tip also. Be careful as the cleaner can fly out of you hand and the debris removed can fly on the trailer or you.

Here are a few links which may help. Click on Link 1 or 2
Link 1

Link 2
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Thumbs up TYVM Jim

I had read thru the info on your 1st link and that's where I got the idea of using diaper cloth but it didn't give as much detail on cleaning or covering the wool pad such as your 2nd link does.
I'm not ready to invest in a Cyclo polisher right now but any polisher should suffice with proper procedure and patience.
I think I'm ready to have another go at it now. I'll post a pic of the "end product" when finished.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
I use the sweatshirt material with the pads - works great. I just wrap around the polisher and hold. Move to a clean spot when needed. I don't think you'd have enough material to hold on to with a cloth diaper.
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote