Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #1
BML
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
Awnings during exterior wash

During exterior washing what do ASrs do with awnings during wash? I dont want/ need my awnings clean, but Im going to wash and polish exterior. Thanks to you all, Im a newbie and have leaned a lot.
BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
If the awnings themselves don't need to be cleaned, which in my case would be rare since they aren't deployed that often, I leave them rolled up while I wash the rest of the trailer. After washing, I extend them for a while to let them air dry in case any portion of the fabric has gotten damp.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I leave the awning retracted if it isn’t also being cleaned. No problems in 9 years. I do clean the awning semi-annually following Zip-Dee’s advice, and use a dry-lube aerosol on the arms and mechanism.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I leave my awnings closed during washing as others have stated above, however, I extend the main awning after washing to dry the strip under the awning that is covered when rolled up. Otherwise, you'll find a small strip that is water spotted under the awning when it's unrolled in a campground. The side and rear awnings don't have the problem.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There are many advantages that an Airstream has over an SOB. The awnings have to rate up there pretty high. I just leave mine in when washing and seldom air it out. I do wash it about once a season and that is it. My cousin has a very nice Arctic Fox and he takes meticulous care of it. His awning is all molded up now and even though he cleans it regularly the stains will require him to replace it soon. 8 years old perhaps? Mine is going on 16 years and looks rather good by comparison.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:32 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Awning Washing

Ive read the replies to this message and say thats all well and good. I have a different tack. While washing the roof I leave it in. It just gets in the way. Its different on the sides though. I extend the awning before starting the sides, hose the dust & pollen, leaves off and then search it for bird droppings. They will stain and provide a medium for mold growth. Then I hit the sides. Also, my awning blocks a strip down the sides when rolled in. I like to wash and wax under that as well. Once the awnings are THOROUGHLY dry, then I roll them in. Like tentage, cloth needs to be dry or the black mold will start growing. Mold is your enemy, itll leak water through cloth and severely weaken the fabric.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #7
BML
1 Rivet Member

2024 28' Pottery Barn
FRESNO , CA
Thanks for all the awning advice, I will keep em closed and air dry after(open). This time around Im not worried about them being dirty, only had it a few weeks, but I want it clean and shiny before we leave . First trip to the Avila Beach next week! Thanks to you all! Safe travels
BML is offline   Reply With Quote