Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Argosy polishII

Well, a cloudy day, but I thought I'd show you my progress so far. First photo is after a pass with Heavy Metal (red) followed with 3M medium grit. Second photo shows the difference between the unfinished upper and the polished lower.

I'm happy, until I look at Ed Starman's photos..... man, I want that shine. I'll finish with some fine, and see how it goes. I also may try 3M heavy cut and see if that gets me where I need to be.

My Father-in Law's neighbor works at Boeing. He gave me a tin of Met -all - he says this is what they use at the factory to polish the metal. It doesn't cut well, and I'm not so sure it works well as a final polish either. I'll try some fine cut 3M or HM first and let everyone know.
Marc
Attached Images

3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Marc, I can't believe that's the same trailer we saw at Beverly Beach! You're doing a fantastic job on it.

Hey, how'd you do on your bike ride this weekend?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Thanks!

If I could harness my arms WITH my legs after this polishing saga, I'd be SUPER fast!

We had a great ride! Although it was raining cats and dogs before the (bicycle) ride, the weather held and we got warm (but humid) weather for the ride. I cut 2 hours off my last years time (6 hrs, 20minutes for 103 miles) for an average speed of 15.8 mph. I had a LOT of time to spend staring at my cycle computer. Last year, I wasn't to coherent (nor could I walk down stairs for two days) at the end. This year, I spent 30minutes in the jacuzzi of our hotel, and then played for awhile with the kids in the pool. Much better!

The polishing is going well, I just wish I had more clear weather when I'm off to finish it. I hope to have it all together by Memorial day weekend. I've done about 70% of the bathroom. I get sidetracked by the outside however. I need to make an IKEA run to find a bowl to cut out for a bathroom sink (going to make it an above the counter style). I also keep going back and forth as to how to finish the flooring back there and if I want to re-skin (actually, just overlay) the bathroom with aluminum.
Marc
Old 05-17-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WOW! Looks incredible -when did you find the time? What happens to the end caps?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Time?

It really comes in spurts. Actually, the 3M method doesn't take too much time. What set me back was that the environmentally friendly stripper worked great on the curbside, notso on the streetside. I had to strip that side twice. Go figure... the streetside was actually the WORSE side (it was peeling already). That under the beltline took about 1.5 hrs. The timeconsuming part is the area up high. Up the ladder, polish, move the ladder, polish, etc. It's slower. I need scafolding.

End caps.. I haven't ruled out flames! I'm going to paint the banana wraps to match the van (purpleish), and the end caps I'm going to wax and see if that does anything. When the money allows, I'll have them painted silver, I think. I was also going to find out if I could get one of those places that makes advertisement overlays for buses to make one that is chrome colored. Then I'd be shiny everywhere!
Marc
Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Im flattered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Well, a cloudy day, but I thought I'd show you my progress so far. First photo is after a pass with Heavy Metal (red) followed with 3M medium grit. Second photo shows the difference between the unfinished upper and the polished lower.

I'm happy, until I look at Ed Starman's photos..... man, I want that shine. I'll finish with some fine, and see how it goes. I also may try 3M heavy cut and see if that gets me where I need to be.

My Father-in Law's neighbor works at Boeing. He gave me a tin of Met -all - he says this is what they use at the factory to polish the metal. It doesn't cut well, and I'm not so sure it works well as a final polish either. I'll try some fine cut 3M or HM first and let everyone know.
Marc
that you mentioned me but yours is looking great. and trust me mine is a 15 foot polish job so far... but im so burned out. Keep up all the great work. It sure is satisfying to see it all come together....
Hey im going on my maiden voyage this weekend. I bet my new cusions make it here the morning I leave and my drapes get installed the night before.. But im beach bound..
Ed Starman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy

Marc
Help......where's my sunglasses......the reflections are blinding!!
Seriously....it's looking rad......iant. Can't wait to see in person.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Marc,

Remember this is your goal
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Looks great Marc !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh, THAT Argosy

Yup - that's what got me going on stripping it in the first place. I'll be there $oon.... I hope. Just need more ca$h.
Marc
Old 05-18-2005, 01:15 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
You got a great headstart.

I think a polished Argosy is way cool, because it's so rare.

Keep it up!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Would it be too much work and trouble to remove the end caps, have them chrome plated, and then re-install them? That would be awsome!
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Marc,

I hope you are not so busy polishing that you are not on here...could you please detail what steps you took? Like step 1 did this, step 2 did that? My argosy came to me stripped, I wonder did yours have swirls and sanding marks on the panels after you stripped the paint? Did you have to compound first to remove oxidation, or was there really not much oxidation because it was covered in paint? Any help would be appreciated....especially as it refers specifically to any troubles I might run into polishing an Argosy. I am trying to figure out just what the POs all did to my unit to know where to start...it is somewhat oxidized/cloudy but no clearcoat. At least I THINK no clearcoat...but it is covered with swirls/sandpaper marks. And adhesive tape. Please give us an update on yours, that would be very inspiring!