Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Apply anything after compounding?

I am compounding my Globe Trotter and taking my time. As I finish and move on to do the next panel, should I protect the job until I get to it with the Cyclo? Its getting hot and I started a couple of months ago.
Thanks!
Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think as long as you get back to it within a year you should be ok. You may want to consider doing each panel complete - compound, final and sealer.

The first time I polished, I was kinda surprised how long the shine does last, I thought I had to put final polish on ASAP after compounding - but found that not to be true.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
After Polish

Since none of us can control the atmosphere, most anything can get on a polished trailer.

As a general rule of thumb, if you live near "salt water," you should rinse the trailer off several times a week, and, wax it "once a week."

For other areas, again generally speaking, waxing once a month is highly recommended.

A very hot climate requires more waxing than a cool climate.

Raw aluminum does not need much encouragement to oxidized.

We have seen, through the years, many polished trailers that did not stay that way very long. We also have seen many that did.

The difference?

We stated that above.

That's not from our experience, but it is from those that have been there, and done, or not done that.

Bottom line, generally speaking, if you polish your Airstream, you will have to give up some fishing, or hunting, and for sure some "hang out time."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanhu
I am compounding my Globe Trotter and taking my time. As I finish and move on to do the next panel, should I protect the job until I get to it with the Cyclo? Its getting hot and I started a couple of months ago.
Thanks!
Bryan
I wouldn't worry too much about it. From my research there is nothing you can put on it that offers much protection anyway.

I have not done anything to mine since last fall and the shine has not gone down. I do intend to do a yearly maintenance with the cyclo and nuvite S. But I have not even gone over the trailer much with the cyclo. It's only been compouded and it still looks great.

Yesterday I had someone by the house and they thought the trailer was brand new. I had to tell them it was over 30 years old. So what does that tell you

Remember, it just a maintenance issue with the cyclo. Best protection would be to store it in a garage.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote