Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2002, 12:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

character marks

Well, I wish I could say the same for mine. I have lots of aluminum oxidation and scatches on mine, and 2 nice size dents in the front and back sections. I have just learnt to appreciate that she is still holdin up. I just havent broke down to the polishing part yet and hope to some time have a polisher. Just saving up the $$$.
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 02:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Oxidation

Hey,
What happens to the aluminum if the oxidation is not removed?
Is it just not pretty and shiney? does it eat a hole it? or break it down in some way??
Sharon Lee
Sharon Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 03:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Oxidation makes the skin look cloudy and dull. If your airstream has the plasticoat still on it, it may look dull, but a good washing and waxing should revive it, as it did my 82.
The plasticoat if worn off or stripped off, will leave the bare aluminum which gets dull and cloudy and must be polished to regain a shine. It will depend on how much elbow grease and effort is put in as to how shiny it gets. Then it must be re-coated, so it does not have to be repolished ....although I think the polish and then a good wax job frequently will keep it looking pretty nice.
Mine has some small areas with no plasticoat, but most of it is still coated. I wax it with non abrasive turle wax liquid, and it seems to hold up for about 3 to 4 months. The small non coated areas I polished by hand, just for grins and they shine a bit more, but add to the overall look. Someday I might strip and polish the whole thing....but I know I will need darker sun glasses to look at it!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Polishing since April 1,2002!

The never-ending project!!I must have well over 250 hours into the job now.Had to take several extended breaks due to my lower back acting up and some weather delays.....but the end is FINALLY in sight!If the weather holds,I should have it completely finished off in one more week's time.

I've been using the Nuvite products w/ sweatshirt material for polishing and am happy with the results.I knew it was a big job when I started,but it really takes getting into the project to REALLY grasp just how much work is involved.

Next up will be sealing some seams and joints that need doing and then the painting (with Por-15 products) of the tongue,bumper and step.

By the end of Summer,my exterior should be complete.And I thought I would have it done by the end of June...HAH!
Charcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Glenside , Pennsylvania
Oh I hear you on that! Between camping trips and vacations - I've slowed down quite a bit. I've finished the pre-polish and plan to start the polish coat this weekend. It seems like I was waiting forever for the temperature to hit 65F and now I sitting here thinking, geez - it's going to be fall soon - better get back to polishing!
64GT is offline   Reply With Quote